Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ammo in warm attic?

BANNED
    At 150 degrees Fahrenheit you'd be dead. Or want to be. Highest record temperature in North America was 56.7C(134.1F) in Death Valley. Your attic won't get that hot. However, a lock on one of your closets will be a lot more convenient than hauling ammo up typical attic stairs.
    In an case, its rapid extremes of temperature change that can cause grief.

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    The warming the powder gets, the shorter its life. Put in some reflective insulation on the underside of the roof and ventilation. Bingo, ammo storage

Build yourself some new furniture for your living room to store the ammo. Solve many problems at once.

My rancher is slab on grade so no crawl space unfortunately.
    I have whats considered a 'flat roof' so the tallest part of my attic (down the centre) is under 3' = No stair access, just an obscure access hatch which requires a ladder from my shop to access. This is why it would be ideal as an 'anti-theft' location.

My attic is vented, but being a really low slope means it heats up pretty well. Ill measure the temps but I doubt its getting anywhere near 150F... Its supposed to be a record setting weekend for highs, so Ill throw a thermometer up there and see what she gets to.

+1 to not having enough ammo to wreck my structural beams...one day...one day.

Thanks for all the advice team.
    Curious is anyone has ever experienced the negatives to storing ammunition anywhere besides a 'cool dry' place.
    Cheers

" Attics will get hot in places like Denver. 155F sound about right in peak summer. Here in Phoenix they have recorded temps of 185F+ in the attic.#" ( simple google search )

Depends on location .. venting .. etc ... when I worked in PEI in the 70's a lot of new construction was going passive solar .. they were melting liners in the storage basements .. they have very clear days .. different process, but they were getting good sun effect that far north . .. central Canada is lower, but lake effect wether would be a factor .. could be more direct sun effect in parts of BC

CGN frequent flyer
    can you get power up there? put it in a bar fridge, can set up a timer and a thermostat in the attic to cycle it on and off every 15 mins or so when its above a set temperature in the attic, and set you fridge to the warmest setting it has
    "Those who take it upon themselves to write the laws by which the rest of us must live should fear the wrath of the people they seek to govern. For the nation to be truly free, those who seek to exceed the limits on their power imposed by the Constitution must be made to live in mortal terror of the consequences."

You really don't have enough ammo when it will fit in a bar fridge.

If you have power, put in a circulation fan to exhaust the hot air, princess auto has a variety of models that could work. You can also get a thermostat controlled switch.

You're overthinking this, put it in your closet and carry on. Don't put it in the attic, that's ridiculous, always climbing up to get it etc. walking on your roof joists and weight on them will likely cause gyproc screws to come lose and you'll see that, not to mention it's just not good for the ammo. There are no storage laws saying it has to be locked up, put it out of sight (not with your firearms) and carry on.
    Last edited by TPK; 06-25-2015 at 12:10 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Blackcats's Avatar
    Trying to post pic of coffee table that's not . Is costume built with rough lumber has two drawers that hold a total of 18 long guns between them . (stupid old guy ) Help needed . you'd love the thing . Know how to send pics to emails but for the life of me can't get them here .
    Last edited by Blackcats; 06-25-2015 at 10:47 PM. Reason: deleat

Quote Originally Posted by TPK View Post
    You're overthinking this, put it in your closet and carry on. Don't put it in the attic, that's ridiculous, always climbing up to get it etc. walking on your roof joists and weight on them will likely cause gyproc screws to come lose and you'll see that, not to mention it's just not good for the ammo. There are no storage laws saying it has to be locked up, put it out of sight (not with your firearms) and carry on.
    Its not for 'daily use' ammo, which I store in my safe. Its for the excess crates that wont fit in my safe.
    A closet isnt ideal for anti-theft reasons.

So far, building a hidden back plate in my work bench out in my shop might be the best option...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast