Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ammo in warm attic?

Quote Originally Posted by Trazor View Post
    Its not for 'daily use' ammo, which I store in my safe. Its for the excess crates that wont fit in my safe.
    A closet isnt ideal for anti-theft reasons.

So far, building a hidden back plate in my work bench out in my shop might be the best option...
    A closet is fine, just don't advertise what you have. Make sure the doors on your house lock behind you and you are done. Again, you're overthinking this. What you want to do (while somewhat commendable ..) is completely unnecessary. If you are in an area that has you that worried about theft, don't keep your firearms or ammo there.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer krausb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TPK View Post
    A closet is fine, just don't advertise what you have. Make sure the doors on your house lock behind you and you are done. Again, you're overthinking this. What you want to do (while somewhat commendable ..) is completely unnecessary. If you are in an area that has you that worried about theft, don't keep your firearms or ammo there.
    I'm of this mind as well. I'm not sure that I understand the preoccupation with theft. Store in accordance with regulations and don't worry about the rest would be my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Trazor View Post
    Hi team, general knowledge would advise one to store ammunition in cool dry locations; however, that is not a secure option for me.

My safe is full and other than sitting in a closet where it could easily be taken, the safest 'out of the way' place is in my attic; however, it gets damn hot up there in the summer.
    I am storing military surplus in its span cans and some 308 surplus sealed in plastic which is also inside its original wood crate.

Any comments on this idea? is this a no-go for fear of ruining the ammunition?

Looking for some experience on the issue, as a would be theif isnt going to crawl into my attic, but would definitely search the closets.
    Attics get extremely hot and can exceed 150 degrees in the summer months. I have been in attics during summer and it was very unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by TPK View Post
    Thanks TPK.
    I do believe I am being over cautious, as my area does not have break ins (knock on wood). Its just that naggin thought of 'what if', and have I dont everything possible to mitigate my losses.
    Do I have insurance:yes
    Do store out of sight: yes

I am probably over thinking this, but as the saying goes, better safe than sorry. I think I'm gonna go with a hidden backing plate on one of the lower shelves in my shop. Have to really want to be digging to remove all the gear infront of it first.
    Again, this is not for daily use ammo, merely my surplus that I will get to eventually.

Thanks for all the comments and advice Team.
    Much appreciated.
    Cheers

CGN frequent flyer
    Get yourself a small steel "job box" and screw it to the floor in your closet or wall in your shop and lock your ammo in it if theft is bothering you. Your average b&e artist isn't going to spend the time breaking open the steel box,they're leaving with your laptop,camera and ipad.
    Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever

It's all about what makes you feel OK, I just wanted to make sure you understood it is your choice if you want to go to those lengths, it's not a requirement. Take some picts of how it turns out, might be kinda cool to see.

I had a few boxes of 20+ year-old reloads with lead bullets that had a kind of waxy lubricant over the bullet. They spent years in Florida in a house that wasn't air conditioned all summer. When I finally fired them (or tried to) I discovered that the waxy lubricant appears to have melted and contaminated the powder. A few were complete squibs and with about half of them the bullets cleared the 2" barrel and landed somewhere between 20 and 100 feet away.
    EOSC.ca

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123