Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ammo in warm attic?

Ammo in warm attic?

Hi team, general knowledge would advise one to store ammunition in cool dry locations; however, that is not a secure option for me.

My safe is full and other than sitting in a closet where it could easily be taken, the safest 'out of the way' place is in my attic; however, it gets damn hot up there in the summer.
    I am storing military surplus in its span cans and some 308 surplus sealed in plastic which is also inside its original wood crate.

Any comments on this idea? is this a no-go for fear of ruining the ammunition?

Looking for some experience on the issue, as a would be theif isnt going to crawl into my attic, but would definitely search the closets.

Quote Originally Posted by Trazor View Post
    Hi team, general knowledge would advise one to store ammunition in cool dry locations; however, that is not a secure option for me.

My safe is full and other than sitting in a closet where it could easily be taken, the safest 'out of the way' place is in my attic; however, it gets damn hot up there in the summer.
    I am storing military surplus in its span cans and some 308 surplus sealed in plastic which is also inside its original wood crate.

Any comments on this idea? is this a no-go for fear of ruining the ammunition?

Looking for some experience on the issue, as a would be theif isnt going to crawl into my attic, but would definitely search the closets.
    You know the answer .. yes you will get some posts where granpa kept the ww2 308 ammo in the attic of the barn for 40 years and it was just fine .. but fine is a relative word :-)

Get/make a wood box, dirty it up .. label it 75 MGB parts .. keep it in the closet .. is BC that bad for break and enters now?

Do not forget to vent the box at the rear, or leave some small cracks .. ( safe storage )

Quote Originally Posted by rocor98 View Post
    Get/make a wood box, dirty it up .. label it 75 MGB parts .. keep it in the closet ..
    Unless the bad guy is a British automobile enthusiast. Though, if it's labelled '75 then he might be safe after all.
    Member: CSSA, CCFR, IPSC, and SASS.

Quote Originally Posted by rocor98 View Post
    is BC that bad for break and enters now?
    Haha, its never been an issue; however, the more I gather/acquire, the more I think about it...

Attic would be an easy solution so Im curious if anyone has ever actually experienced any issues with ammunition stored in hot areas.

One would expect temperatures to quite high over in the middle east, even when ammunition crates were stored in bunkers etc... Hoping for actual negatives beyond the suspected hypotheticals.

CGN Regular
    I would think humidity would be a bigger issue than temp. I have never had any issues and my reloading components sit in a old bunk house. Which isn't climate controlled in any manner and I personally have never had any issues. Used some 40 year old powder the other day and it went bang. I wouldn't be too worried.

According to Rick Patterson, Managing Director of#SAAMI, “In fact as long as your ammunition is stored at normal room temperatures with low humidity, it can function reliably for decades.”

It takes more than just a warm day to detrimentally impact ammunition—SAAMI believes the breakdown begins around 150 degrees Fahrenheit. There are very few environments where stored ammo can reach those extremes, but the trunk of a vehicle is one of them.

Read more:#http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/how-...#ixzz3dxchhgsV

So we are back to qualifying .... " damm hot up there " :-)

Last edited by 4n2t0; 12-22-2018 at 09:32 PM.

The bigger problem is that you don't have enough ammo if your rafters can support the weight.
    Buy em cheap, stack em deep!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by 4n2t0 View Post
    You want "non-hypotheticals" about a situation that's specific to yourself only? LMAO. How do we know what the temperature and humidity's like in your attic? High humidity can = bad ammo.
    OP, measure the temp and humidity levels.
    Shooter1of38 Imagine what it would be like to have two dicks.....

It's kind of like that.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ipscgraz's Avatar
    On a reasonably direct route with the wipers on.
    Do you have a crawlspace? Basement over attic for ammo storage IMHO.
    A demand for further gun laws is an admission that the hundreds of gun laws already on the books, and the Firearms Act itself, is simply to placate the uninformed.

“The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." Tacitus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast