Thread: spare nr tavor barrels

CGN Ultra frequent flyer merlin1's Avatar

spare nr tavor barrels

yes i have read last years posts but my question is--has anything changed??can we buy a spare barrel for tavors--18.6 ones at least as the restricted shorties are a legal issue--thank you

CGN Regular
    Yes! After we put thousands extra into elcans and xl keymods, and timneys, and geisles, etc nothing would be worse than needing to replace the barrel and not being able to do it. Well, one thing is worse: NDP becomes federal government and steals them from us.
    "All things I thought I knew, but now confess; the more I know I know, I know the less" - John Owen

CGN Ultra frequent flyer merlin1's Avatar
    cant steal what you dont have my brother

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    I was in contact with Jon from North Sylva as recently as a week ago and discussed this. He said they have been pursuing it but IWI israel is unwilling to cut us the longer barrels we need as spares, the only barrels being made are coincidentally being installed on full rifles before they come to Canada.

The only way Canadians will ever have spare barrels in the forseeable future are through the likes of getting custom built to your specs barrels from Herron Arms or through Irunguns how I have recently began an inquiry about bringing in a whole slough of parts, including the restricted here US 16.5" and 18" barrels. Irunguns sounds resoundingly positive.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

Let's do some hard cold arithmetic here.

In all honesty, it will take 20,000 rounds to kill it, that is over 8000 dollars worth of ammo.

Unless you are super active that shoot 1000 rounds a month ( that is shooting every weekend every month), it is not something to worry. But if you shoot that much, you probably are into competition and most likely you will use an AR instead of handicapping yourself with a TAVOR. Most people shoot 1000 to 3000 rounds a year....and most people probably will want a new toy in 5 years anyways.

Most people who bought extra barrels will just end up having the barrels sitting there for a couple years and collecting dust.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

Quote Originally Posted by greentips View Post
    Let's do some hard cold arithmetic here.

In all honesty, it will take 20,000 rounds to kill it, that is over 8000 dollars worth of ammo.

Unless you are super active that shoot 1000 rounds a month ( that is shooting every weekend every month), it is not something to worry. But if you shoot that much, you probably are into competition and most likely you will use an AR instead of handicapping yourself with a TAVOR. Most people shoot 1000 to 3000 rounds a year....and most people probably will want a new toy in 5 years anyways.

Most people who bought extra barrels will just end up having the barrels sitting there for a couple years and collecting dust.
    I am new to this sport, so I would like clarification as to what you mean by handicapped. I shoot in PPC multigun(3gun completions) . Between competitions and practice, I shoot about a 1000 rounds a week. That is evenly split between tavor and my bushmaster ar. What did you mean by "handicapped" ? Am missing something ?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ShawnC6's Avatar
    He is saying an AR is a better gun for competition.

On a related note I figure if I always cheap out on ammo and wear out my T97 barrel in even 10,000 rounds I'll have saved $1500 by the time it's shot out.

I'll just buy a whole new gun instead of needing a barrel for the amount I saved on ammo.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    All im going to say is one does not know what the future holds.

What if IWI goes belly up?

What if the Tar-21 model is discontinued?

What if the UN enact some sort of arms deal freeze that stops international arms trade?

Some may go as far as to say "What if the conservatives don't win in October?"

I plan on doing 3 or so carbine coarses over the next 2 years, maybe 3. That is going to be an aditional 3k rounds above normal, and I burn about 1500-2000 rounds through my Tav each year (now to be divided in 2 now that the ACR shares that load). But now if I only had the Tav, that would forcast me to be at somewhere between 11500 and 13000 round count in the next 3 years.
    Last edited by onetwentyish; 06-26-2015 at 09:56 AM.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA