Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Storage Conditions for Thundershot?

So it can sit in a public store but not in your home? Pffff how is that public safety it could go off in the store.

...it couldn't go off in the store....or in your house for that matter, because it's just two benign ingredients until mixed. I could see some unwanted attention from the neighbours though, having a container in the backyard with an explosives symbol on it.

From another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by tootall View Post
    Hey Andrew,
    Thanks for posting the link.
    If I understand this:

Purchasers of multi-ingredient kits can only be users. Users must hold a fireworks operator certificate – pyrotechnician, or a licence issued under the Firearms Act. {section 138(2)(e)}

1. UNLICENSED USERS

Unlicensed users may store up to 20 kg of high hazard special purpose explosives (type S.2), {section 264} including multi ingredient kits (reactive targets), in a storage unit2.

2. LICENSED USERS

If storing more than 20 kg of high hazard special purpose explosives, a user requires a magazine licence. The cost of a licence to store high hazard special purpose explosives is $70 per year.

Nearly all of us are unlicenced users, not having the $70 ticket, but have a PAL.
    So limited to 20Kg, ~44lb Max.
    So far, so good.

Then it goes on describe a storage unit in section 2

2A Storage Unit:
    A storage unit means a building, structure, place or container in which explosives are stored and that is not licensed. However, it does not include a dwelling or any structure, place or container in a dwelling.

A storage unit must meet the following requirements: {section 254(2)}

the storage unit must be located in a dry place, away from flammable substances and sources of ignition;
    the storage unit must be constructed and maintained to prevent unauthorized access and to protect the contents from weather;
    if the storage unit is a container, it must not impede exit in case of fire;
    if the storage unit is not a container, all exits must be unobstructed;
    any shelving in the storage unit must be constructed from a non-sparking material (for example, wood or painted metal);
    nothing other than special purpose explosives may be stored in the storage unit;
    the storage unit must be attended when it is unlocked;
    the storage unit must be kept clean, dry, organized and free of grit;
    any spill, leakage or other contamination in the storage unit must be cleaned up immediately;
    precautions that minimize the likelihood of fire in or near the storage unit must be taken; and
    a sign that displays the words “Danger — Fire Hazard/Risque d’incendie” in letters at least 10 cm high and that prohibits smoking using letters, or a symbol, at least 10 cm high must be posted on the storage unit in a clearly visible location.

Date Modified:
    2015-03-02

It seems to say that it cannot be your house.

However, it does not include a dwelling or any structure, place or container in a dwelling.

It is the word MAY that I am unclear on.

1. UNLICENSED USERS

Unlicensed users may store up to 20 kg of high hazard special purpose explosives (type S.2), {section 264} including multi ingredient kits (reactive targets), in a storage unit2.

It does not say we MUST store in a separate magazine. It says MAY. Does this mean we CAN store up to 20Kg max in our home?
    I am not the least bit concerned about an unmixed binary causing danger in my house, but I am VERY concerned that if I store it out in a shed with big "Steal Me!" signage, it will get stolen.
    Then I will be the bad guy because I did not do enough to prevent a shed well away from the house from being broken into
    Imagine the yelling that would happen if someone left his handguns and ammo in the barn, and they got stolen by local punks?
    That is how view this stupid regulation.

Expired Business Member
    Hey, we don't make the rules fellas!

Not trying to jump on your head!

Just venting about ridiculous regulations...

The 'storage unit' could be a container in a shed, in which case the placards etc go on the box and your shed won't have "steal me" signs all over it.

From talking to ERD inspectors, many of them would have liked to have seen them classed S.1, which would have allowed them to be stored (up to 40kg ) in a dwelling, but alas the regs are as they are...Could be worse - many are unhappy that they are even allowed in the country.

As per safety, I think the rifle targets are fairly safe, but I have heard of issues in the USA, especially with poorly packaged targets (single bagged sensitizer which leaks in container), and more specifically with rimfire/low impact exploding targets. NOT saying that is the case with Gryphon or other brands available here, but I have heard of accidents happening

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    ...it couldn't go off in the store....or in your house for that matter, because it's just two benign ingredients until mixed. I could see some unwanted attention from the neighbours though, having a container in the backyard with an explosives symbol on it.
    I know it won't go off that's why the regulations are so Fn stupid.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ShawnC6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Houston View Post
    The 'storage unit' could be a container in a shed, in which case the placards etc go on the box and your shed won't have "steal me" signs all over it.

From talking to ERD inspectors, many of them would have liked to have seen them classed S.1, which would have allowed them to be stored (up to 40kg ) in a dwelling, but alas the regs are as they are...Could be worse - many are unhappy that they are even allowed in the country.

As per safety, I think the rifle targets are fairly safe, but I have heard of issues in the USA, especially with poorly packaged targets (single bagged sensitizer which leaks in container), and more specifically with rimfire/low impact exploding targets. NOT saying that is the case with Gryphon or other brands available here, but I have heard of accidents happening

Lots of the rimfire targets are actually reactive to fire so I could see that being more of an issue.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ShawnC6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnC6 View Post
    I ordered one of those 120mm ammo cans from Can ammo that Im going to use for my storage container in my detached garage. Not sure how many pounds I'tl hold though.
    Darn it only holds 30 pounds....

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnC6 View Post
    Darn it only holds 30 pounds....
    Just dump it all in loose, should fit more that way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast