Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CFO wants interview at Police Station

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverMeat View Post
    Sad how bill C-68 drove a huge wedge between the police and gun owner relationship.
    The concern that the LEO Community has been concerned since October 14, 1914 a man named Mewa Singh shot and killed a special Immigration Officer named William Hopkinson or Cst. Robert Gordon McBeath, a Vancouver Police Officer killed in the line of duty on October 10, 1922, while attempting to arrest an impaired driver in the city's downtown core or when Constable Thomas James Agar was shot in the chest at pbr on September 19, 1980 in the Reception area of the Detachment in Richmond BC and the many other examples of Making the Ultimate Sacrifice.

Some people should be allowed to own firearms and there are some who should . The system is flawed and thus not perfect, but if a prospective firearms owner is called to have an interview at the Local Detachment then so be it .

When taking the course one learns what is required and what is expected of them to own firearms in Canada... was it really a surprise that the new prospective Lic. owner who has admitted to having been arrested for something possibly serious to have a chat with the CFO?

It may have been something simple and easy to discuss over the phone or maybe there is way more to the story than has been disclosed and I am not suggesting the OP disclose any more than has already been offered up.

Maybe the OP could offer up some advice after he has experienced the interview with a lessons learned having dealt with them first hand and again not disclosing the Private Information that led up to this meeting.

Tight Groups,
    Rob
    Last edited by FLHTCUI; 06-30-2015 at 12:12 PM.
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

CGN Regular
    So, the meeting with the CFO did not go very well. I felt that he was very aggressive towards me like he had a bias against me, asking me many questions about my past charge. Okay, so I was charged with an indecent act (drunken streaking with my friends). I was not arrested on the spot, but the police found out who I was and arrested me in my home. Now the charges were stayed and 3 years has gone by. His tone towards me was that I'm a pervert, etc and if I can't follow the law in regards to such a thing, "what makes you think that you would follow safe storage laws, etc"? He also said that I lied on my application for Question: 16. e) During the past five (5) years, do you know if you have been reported to the police or social services for violence, threatened or attempted violence, or other conflict in your home or elsewhere?

I answered NO on the application. He said that since the police came to and arrested me at my home, that I lied about the "or other conflict in your home".

I was 100% sure that this question was about violence and I told him so (I told him that there is an "or" after the word threatened), but he kept insisting that there was an "or" after the question of attempted violence. He said that I can be charged/fined/prosecuted for lying.

Another problem was that he said my reference (mother) lied to him over the phone when he asked "has he had any contact with the police". My mom said no, never. She is an immigrant, English is not her first language, (she assumed that the question was about being found guilty of an offence). He said that she can also be charged and that she isn't a very good reference. I tried to explain it to him but he would not accept what I said.

In the end, he said that he doesn't feel that I am fit to own a firearms license as the charge was only 3 years ago and that it was not over 5 years ago. He said that he would give me a call later on.

What do all of you think about this? Will he file paperwork to have me or my mother charged? I can accept being denied since the charge was only 3 years ago, but I really hope he doesn't screw me over, I was 100% sure that the question was about any and all violence.

You will not be charged there is no basis for a charge. Assuming your account is 100% correct.

Also you may want to read up on sections 74 to 76 of the firearms act should he deny your application. And it has to be within 30 days of you receiving notice of denial so act fast.

Shawn

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    You will not be charged there is no basis for a charge. Assuming your account is 100% correct.

Also you may want to read up on sections 74 to 76 of the firearms act should he deny your application. And it has to be within 30 days of you receiving notice of denial so act fast.

Shawn
    Thanks. Who do I take it to, a judge?

Quote Originally Posted by cdnskier View Post
    Thanks. Who do I take it to, a judge?
    I have never had to file one, you can represent yourself. To file it I would assume the court house is the place to start. The court clerk would be able to guide you in the right direction.

Shawn

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123