Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New cz ranger rifle in stock

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bollox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by batwing View Post
    is this the definite choice for the ranger replacement rifle?
    im talking about the Canadian Rangers.....the one's that are still carrying the old .303's.
    I heard all kind of rumors about the replacement being a Tikka T-3 tac copy made by Colt Canada....anyone know anything about this?
    CZ makes some of the nicest, high quality rifles/handguns that i have seen for production made weapons.
    so it is something to think about for the collection.

You heard right. They wasted a ton of money and went with a Sako package.... When better (cheaper) options already existed.
    sic semper tyrannis

Looks like a CZ 557 Carbine with a Picatinny rail thrown in and a big garish magazine (with associated bottom metal) attached.
    Personally, I could do without the big garish magazine.
    There are absolutely no absolutes! :D

CGN frequent flyer
    Discussion on the T3 selection here:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...nadian-Rangers

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Wolverine View Post
    We've got the new CZ 557 Ranger Rifles in stock.

Here is some of the features of these great little rifles.

20.5 Inch Free Floated Barrels.
    Adjustable (Not Set) Trigger
    Picatinny rail plus Iron Sights (front sight being fibre optic)
    308 Winchester Caliber
    10 round detachable magazine
    Dual front sling swivel attachments.

Price on these bad boys is $1495.00 plus shipping and tax.

Call us at 204-748-2454 or email us at sales@wolverinesupplies.com

Weight?
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bollox View Post
    You heard right. They wasted a ton of money and went with a Sako package.... When better (cheaper) options already existed.
    yeah, sako being produced by colt canada which only increases the cost of production given that colt has to make all the tooling money back, no thanks.
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

Ok, here's another one I'm going to have to buy...thanks a lot Grumpy!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post
    yeah, sako being produced by colt canada which only increases the cost of production given that colt has to make all the tooling money back, no thanks.
    The Tikka CTR selected fir the Rangers is in stainless which makes a lot of sense for the environment that the rifle is used in, I do not believe CZ makes any stainless rifles, however I do think the quality if CZ rifles is very good.

If they came in 284 win, I would buy 2.
    Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.
    Winston Churchill

I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy.
    John Adams

I bought this rifle a while ago when they first came out earlier this year, it was a bit cheaper then (less $250).. and so far it's been a great bolt action. I really wanted that Ranger 'utility style' all purpose gun that was missing from my stable. And although I'm not an F-class guy I love shooting irons when given the chance.
    I'd been shopping around for a while comparing everything from the FNAR Semi-auto to the SAKO to the Ruger Scout and Ruger Predator to this CZ. I also considered waiting for the Tikka Canadian Ranger rifle, but I just don't like that funky multi-color puke rainbow pattern that seems to be all over several guns this year... not my taste. Also the ever present Remi 700 was on the line, but my two shooting buddies have Remi's and I just couldnt steal their thunder.
    I also reload .308 already, so with a 1:10 twist you can't get a more versatile and readily available cartridge - basically anywhere.

Likes- it's a Ranger rifle with a 10 round mag, and is designed to work hard as a daily shooter, trapping, quadding, hiking, hunting SHTF etc. and is definitely there with the CZ reputation, it feels really well built even for the weight, so if you dropped it off the tail gate etc you most likely wont hurt it. (another reason I like the full wrap front sight)
    - After 200+ rounds there's been no malfunctions. Also the mag installs and removes very easily, although I had to put some grip tape on it as it feels a little slippery in sweaty hands.

- The fibre optic front sight is great, highly visible for my bad eyes, with the first 40-50 rounds of various 150gr just to see what I could do outta the box, it hit the mark very easily out to 250m. It came zeroed for 100 nearly bang on. I wouldn't say I was doing anything sub MOA, but constantly hit the 10" gong on irons even out to the 300m mark on a hot windy day, without adjusting them. I think the illuminated front sight is a real bonus, and justified the overall price over a cheaper .308 like a Ruger Predator. I've since put a cheap Walmart optic on it, a Bushnell 4-12x, and was quickly stretching the .308 out to 500 meters. - except with the scope, in the medium mounts, on the pic rail - it was way to high. And not having a cheek rest meant I was getting a stiff neck in a hurry. The easy fix would be to take the removable pic rail off, and mount the scope right on the factory dovetail. Haven't had the time though.
    - Also like the advertising says, the pic rail has a groove down the center so even when there's a scope mounted you can actually see down the site line to the irons (barely). I wouldnt say I was able to effectively use that setup though.

- For weight, it's lite, really lite, - I don't have an actual weight of the gun alone, but with the scope, a sling, and a caldwell bipod it's only 8.4 lbs. Needless to say when I fired some 180gr Federal SP through it - it really bucks. And no the butt pad isn't much of a consolation. I'm guessing it's somewhere around 6.8 - 7lbs bare, unloaded ?
    - The safety feels very positive and solid, and the bolt cycles without any difficulty, even for a pushfeed style, versus controlled feed. Personally I would have liked to see the controlled feed on this, as being a Ranger rifle and the possibility of dynamic shooting situations, controlled would be a nice plus - but also more expensive. Either way no issues with picking or ejecting.

- The fully adjustable trigger - for length of pull, and weight of pull - Well what can I say I haven't even tinkered with it yet - but wow what an option, certainly a Bonus that I plan on working with when time permits!
    - On a serious range day, shooting prone using some 165 & 168gr handload Noslers, I was grouping MOA at 300, with the cheap bushnell optic, so I'm certain as far as a Ranger rifle goes in .308, this rifle makes the mark. In time I'm excited to see just how well I can make this thing perform, but there's no doubt it's worthy of moose or elk of any other big game if you dare.

Cons- It's a medium weight barrel, and it heats up fast. After getting a little too happy on range day, I realized it takes some serious time between groups to cool off (of course). So even though it comes with only 1 magazine - no worries, 10 rounds is enough! Unless you plan on completely blowing it out ? But yes it requires a cooling period, especially if you're shooting 168 gr or anything hotter or heavier.
    - The finish isn't exactly aluminum oxide or even Duracoat worthy, so the wood already has some scratches on it, but I'm ok with that.
    - It would be nice to have a little more ergonomic bolt release, instead it's a sharp metal tab style that you almost need a flat blade screwdriver to press down on, without risking a slip and gouging the stock- but it functions as designed.
    - Would be nice to have a threaded barrel option too.

That's about it really, like I said - haven't adjusted the adjustable trigger, and still have the too high cheap optic on it, but wow it's an end of days rifle like any other reputable Ranger, and since it's a CZ as well it matches my 858 beautifully on the wall.

Cheers
    Last edited by DUC_Dali; 10-31-2016 at 01:28 AM.

CGN Regular
    ^What he said.
    I am impressed with the versatility (and handsome lines) of this rifle.
    Pros:
    VERY handsome/ good looking rifle
    The iron/fiberoptic sights are great, I just wish my eyes were better. I chose to go with Weaver QD See-Thru rings, as I wanted a rifle that would be competent from 25 -200 yards. I mounted a very old school 2 3/4 X Redfield scope on it, which I feel works well, and suits the rifle. I may try a Nikon Buckmaster II 4-12X on it, we'll see
    I love the dedicated bipod mount.
    The metal (nice) 10 round magazine releases extremely easily, especially after you lube it with some paraffin.
    The Weaver rail is nice; easily detachable should you decide to go solely with a scope and dedicated cz rings, easy enough to mount Weaver styler rings on should you keep it.
    Chambered in .308 so it is easy to custom load
    VERY handsome/ good looking rifle (oops, said that before) I will probably never get rid of this rifle. It will be handed down to my 2 YO son when he is old enough.
    The craftsmanship is excellent. Damn but the wood stock is beautiful
    CONS:
    The bolt release is not great, sorry, Tikka has it all over this
    Bolt is not as smooth as a Tikka, needs to be pulled down/over to the 7 o'clock position (looking from back of rifle) when releasing or inserting bolt for it to operate smoothly.
    Stock needs better recoil pad (Uncle Mike's slip on universal Medium size pad works great) and higher cheek rest. American style stock does not work with high mount rings (first world problem.)
    Ummmm...VERY handsome/ good looking rifle, difficult to sell, or drag over rocks, have fall off truck, etc.

So far so good, really like the build of this rifle.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast