Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Holster now available for SAM Thunderbolt 1911

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

Holster now available for SAM Thunderbolt 1911

Just a caution to those of you thinking about buying a SAM Thunderbolt for competition. After an exasperating search it appears that there is no holster currently available that will fit this model of gun. I tried a Blackhawk holster that was supposed to work with railed 1911s and it didn't even come close. Tried a Fobus Evolution Roto holster that is supposed to fit railed 1911s - gun wouldn't go in that one either. On the advice of a CGN member I tried Solely Canadian. While they have plans to maybe produce it in the future (possibly the fall) they currently don't make one either.

The only potential workable suggestion that I got from a helpful member (thank P E) was to take a heat gun to a Blade-Tech 1911 rail holster, warm it up and use the gun to move the Kydex forward. He did get it to work but you'll have to be careful or you could end up with $100 pile of melted plastic.

This isn't a knock on the gun as it appears to be well made & nicely finished like the SAM pistols typically are. However, if you're thinking about buying one of these to use in holster type competitions, unless you're willing to draw the gun out of your pocket you're going to be very disappointed.

BANNED
    Bravo Concealment will custom make a holster in Kydex and does nice work for about US$70

FF

So is the issue you're encountering that the rails are getting in the way of getting a proper fit? You can try taking a look at the Fobus EMC line. The entire area where the rail would be is cut away so it can pretty much fit any railed 1911.

Yup we're working on a solution for the Sam 1911r & saraphim armory 1911r, still looking at sometime in September unless i can procure one sooner..

Solelycanadian

CGN Regular
    Just out of curiosity Ted, where does it seem to hang up ? The SAM rail is a bit lower/higher or is it wider/thicker than other brands.

Depending on which you might look to a holster that has the flashlight feature, should give you lots of room on the bottom, or one of the '' suppressor '' style holsters

that are made for tall sights to give you some air up top.

And +1 for Soley. Once again, bonus to have our own peeps stepping up with high end gear for our market.

We might be able to do something sooner than September, if there's enough interest i'll jump on it!

SolCan

I'm looking for one too!

Quote Originally Posted by SolCan View Post
    We might be able to do something sooner than September, if there's enough interest i'll jump on it!

SolCan
    Member of the CPC, CSSA, CCFR, OFAH and NRA
    "The disarming of citizens has been a tragic and bloody failure. Violent crime has increased everywhere it's been tried as it serves only to embolden the still-armed criminal. NOT IN MY CANADA!"

The CR Speed Holsters will fit. The are full adjustable and retained by the trigger guard. Might be a little "fast" for your taste, but will work until you find the "right solution".

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by GSG1911 View Post
    Just out of curiosity Ted, where does it seem to hang up ? The SAM rail is a bit lower/higher or is it wider/thicker than other brands.

Depending on which you might look to a holster that has the flashlight feature, should give you lots of room on the bottom, or one of the '' suppressor '' style holsters

that are made for tall sights to give you some air up top.

And +1 for Soley. Once again, bonus to have our own peeps stepping up with high end gear for our market.
    The rail on the SAM is longer and perhaps a little wider than, for example, the Springfield Operator which the Fobus is supposed to fit. A holster for a gun with a light might work but they are pretty big & bulky & I'm more interested in something more streamlined.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by kutter View Post
    So is the issue you're encountering that the rails are getting in the way of getting a proper fit? You can try taking a look at the Fobus EMC line. The entire area where the rail would be is cut away so it can pretty much fit any railed 1911.
    This would likely work but (and I'm only going by the pics so I could be wrong) it appears to be a thumb break style of holster (strap has to be released). I want to use mine for competition so this system would be a little slow & unwieldy for my purpose.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast