Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Holster now available for SAM Thunderbolt 1911

I ordered a Kydex holster from solely Canadian and it fits my SAM Thunderbolt Awesome. No problems at all.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Nice, when did they finish those, and how much

CGN Ultra frequent flyer RobertMcC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    Zahal has open design holsters for use when flashlights attached. It should work.
    Honestly it wasn't that great of a holster. It had a button strap retainer that you had to un do and then pull the pistol back and up to remove the pistol. It was quite awkward. My Blackhawk Serpa fit a replica 1911 with a full length rail.

Quote Originally Posted by thepatriot View Post
    I ordered a Kydex holster from solely Canadian and it fits my SAM Thunderbolt Awesome. No problems at all.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Actually, it doesn't look like your 1911 is all the way in the holster. You trigger guard is not completely in and your ejection port looks like it is not lined up with the holster impression? I think the rail impression is stopping your 1911 from going all the way. I think you have too much trigger exposed for safe carry.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Honestly it wasn't that great of a holster. It had a button strap retainer that you had to un do and then pull the pistol back and up to remove the pistol. It was quite awkward. My Blackhawk Serpa fit a replica 1911 with a full length rail.
    The problem (which the gun companies have created) is that there is no standard size for the rail on 1911's (or other railed guns, for that matter). However, most guns don't have dozens of companies turning out the same gun. For example, no one but Sig (and maybe Norinco) make a Sig 226 or clone. Same with an HK USP.

1911's are made by several companies and they each seem to have just gone their own way in deciding what dimensions their rails would be. Some rails are quite small and require only a minimum modification of a holster. Others are bigger (for example the Taurus 1911 rail is huge) and only a holster built specifically for that gun will work. The Springfield Operator looks very similar to the SAM Thunderbolt but the Operator will fit in a Fobus Evolution holster and the Thunderbolt won't. Ask me how I know (anyone want to buy a Fobus Evolution holster - gun only (partly) inserted once). Add to these rail variations the fact that Kydex and the other synthetics have no 'give' like leather holsters and you end up with a situation where the gun either fits or it doesn't. There's essentially no wiggle room.

Quote Originally Posted by juancarlos View Post
    Actually, it doesn't look like your 1911 is all the way in the holster. You trigger guard is not completely in and your ejection port looks like it is not lined up with the holster impression? I think the rail impression is stopping your 1911 from going all the way. I think you have too much trigger exposed for safe carry.
    Yup that holster was made with a Springfield operator, the rail on the operator is shorter than a SAM thunderbolt rail.. So the Sam won't seat all the way.

I hope when solely finishes this holster, they will post a notification on this thread and pics. Dying to start some holster training.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    As I said before, you can easily modify the kydex Operator holster (or any railed 1911 holster) to fit... just use a hair dryer or heat gun to warm the section where the rail goes, try a few times, once it's heated enough it will give and the holster will fit perfectly. Yes, kydex has no give like leather, but if it's heated it can be reworked!

That should tie you over until Solely gets their new ones made!

Ordered a SAM thunderbolt last wk, so hopefully within a few wks we'll have something ready ..

Quote Originally Posted by Tractorguy View Post
    I hope when solely finishes this holster, they will post a notification on this thread and pics. Dying to start some holster training.

what about the SigTac holsters for railed 1911's?
    It's getting a little bit Sunday around here.....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast