Thread: What does corrosive means? westrifle.com

Expired Business Member

What does corrosive means? westrifle.com

So many people ask us this question every day and I will attempt to answer for new comers to shooting surplus ammo.
    Corrosive ammunition is ammunition that uses a primer that has chemicals that when ignited leave a residue of corrosive salts. Most often these primers have potassium chlorate, or sodium petrochlorate which, when burned, decompose into potassium chloride or sodium chloride.
    So basically when you use corrosive ammo it leaves salt or other element that needs to be cleaned from your gun.

Hope this helps

Al

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    Corrosive means you get a good deal on military surplus ammo, and just need to promptly clean your rifle with a bit of soapy water. Really isn't a big deal!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer EL34/6L6's Avatar
    Also, the salt doesn't corrode your rifle, the moisture that the salt attracts does.
    . . . . . . . . . . . <*(((>>+. . . . . .{• )))))></. . . . . .>°)))÷÷<€ . . . . . . . . . . .

Im not even new to surplus ammo and I wasn't quite sure what made it corrosive. I assumed it had to do with age of the ammo because I wouldn't imagine an army would be sent to war with corrosive ammo. Looks like I was wrong. One question I always forgot to ask.
    I reserve the right to reserve my rights.

ive heard its more reliable in colder weather and thats why it was used....true?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Butcherbill's Avatar
    It has a longer shelf life, which is why it goes bang still after all these years.