Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Range Ventilation is Finally Coming! Closure notice!

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    1. Each bay has it's own certification with the CFO. They are in essence seperate ranges.

2. Each bay is different. Bay A was designed for static shooting with 6 baffles that are 4 feet wide each. Bay B was designed for dynamic shooting with 7 baffles that are 8 feet wide.

3. Bay A uses 5/16" regular mild steel baffles which is pistol rated. Bay B uses 1/4" AR450 baffles which is rifle rated.

My direction is that only on rare occasions should rifle be shot in range A, like when we close a bay when someone is shooting. But no, it is not a regular thing.

Shotgun slugs/buckshot can be shot in either bay.

While the backstops are the same in both, i am concerned with damage to the baffles and high velocity richocets going up between the baffles.

So, short answer: no, you cannot shoot your 5.56 rifles this weekend at Target.

Plus, centrefire rifles are loud and we do not want to scare away the kids. Target is a family place.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

Quote Originally Posted by S.J. View Post
    Wow, air moving 80 fps over the shooters?
    That would be like standing in a 88 km per hour wind coming from your back.
    Are you sure that it's not 8 fps?, that would be more in line of what is required for proper range ventilation.
    Just asking.

Thanks for noticing ;-)

Actual design velocity is 80 feet per minute.

You want a constant gentle push forward, not too much velocity or the contaminants stay airborne.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

Quote Originally Posted by 3strokes View Post
    I'm about to START wearing an N100 mask.
    Why?

Once the system is in, we will also be doing some serious testing on air and surface contamination to ensure we have it right.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post
    Thanks for noticing ;-)

Actual design velocity is 80 feet per minute.

You want a constant gentle push forward, not too much velocity or the contaminants stay airborne.

JR
    80 fpm is good air movement, anything over 100 fpm can create unwanted air turbulence .
    Oh Magoo! You've done it again.
    "When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty"
    Thomas Jefferson
    Member: IOOB

Quote Originally Posted by S.J. View Post
    80 fpm is good air movement, anything over 100 fpm can create unwanted air turbulence .
    The NSSF reports all indicated a 50-80 FPM airflow, so we went with 80.
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

CGN frequent flyer
    1. Each bay has it's own certification with the CFO. They are in essence seperate ranges.

2. Each bay is different. Bay A was designed for static shooting with 6 baffles that are 4 feet wide each. Bay B was designed for dynamic shooting with 7 baffles that are 8 feet wide.

3. Bay A uses 5/16" regular mild steel baffles which is pistol rated. Bay B uses 1/4" AR450 baffles which is rifle rated.

My direction is that only on rare occasions should rifle be shot in range A, like when we close a bay when someone is shooting. But no, it is not a regular thing.

Shotgun slugs/buckshot can be shot in either bay.

While the backstops are the same in both, i am concerned with damage to the baffles and high velocity richocets going up between the baffles.

So, short answer: no, you cannot shoot your 5.56 rifles this weekend at Target.

Plus, centrefire rifles are loud and we do not want to scare away the kids. Target is a family place.

JR
    Thanks for the clarification, I was told by a range officer that both sides where considered as one. I asked when the one side had the backstop done before the other, if they would get approval for the one side, and at that time a range officer told me "No the CFO considers both sides one range, so both have to be done before they get approved for larger caliber" That is where I got that info from, I didn't just make it up, I was told this by an employee at the range. First time hearing that there is an actual difference between range A and B, same backstop but different baffles good to know

Anyways thanks saves me the hassle of bringing down cases of rifles that I wont be able to shoot, pistols it is for this weekend!

Those damn 50AE Desert Eagles are pretty loud too, how about you lump them in with the rifle side too? LOL
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 07-24-2015 at 05:09 PM.

CGN frequent flyer 84fuegoturbo's Avatar
    Why?

Once the system is in, we will also be doing some serious testing on air and surface contamination to ensure we have it right.

JR
    No worries he is talking about the indoor range in Ottawa

CGN frequent flyer
    One more question? Whats next, after the ventilation is done? What other reno's to the range are being done, and is there any time line for them yet? Bays and target system?

Anything going to change with the lighting?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    One more question? Whats next, after the ventilation is done? What other reno's to the range are being done, and is there any time line for them yet? Bays and target system?

Anything going to change with the lighting?
    The lighting is ongoing and should already be improved.

The dividers and retrievers have already been ordered (and paid for). We expect both to be delivered in about 4-6 weeks and will arrange installation after we have them both on the ground.

It will take about a week in each back to install, but we will give you lots of notice!

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

CGN frequent flyer
    The lighting is ongoing and should already be improved.

The dividers and retrievers have already been ordered (and paid for). We expect both to be delivered in about 4-6 weeks and will arrange installation after we have them both on the ground.

It will take about a week in each back to install, but we will give you lots of notice!

JR
    Awesome! The facility seems to get a little better and better every time I go, cant wait to see it all when its totally complete. My first year membership is up in August, and I will not hesitate to renew when the day comes....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast