Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: The Modern Varmint rifle

Intesting we can't hear those MH nay sayers much this time!!! Also, thanks to ATRS for thinking those that ordered first, same serial number is a great idea...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer nowarningshot's Avatar
    Correct me if i am wrong, but did they not say...no pre orders and deposits until the FRT is approved by the RCMP. Think they also said, no custom serial numbers for this rifle...unless you were one of the custom serial numbers on the MH.

From my perspective, it seems that the turn around time tooling up and producing these rifles is going to be quicker than with the MH. Mostly as some have said, the R$D is done, vendors for parts are known, and the rifle is effectively a smaller scale version of the MH to speed the approval through the RCMP.

So my question is .....when will we see a Modern magnum? Still thinking of a switch barrel double gun for that. The 2.5" magnum family would be interesting, perhaps a bit fuddy to be called "Modern". I would be happy with a modern rifle creating the "modern" in the moniker, not necessarily the caliber....but the 308 is not entirely new either. But if a switch barrel option could be done....how about WSM or Rum calibers. Not sure i would want a 7lb 375 Rum, but if one went with the 2.5" family....think of two barrels switchable in minutes on one rifle....264WM, 7RM, 308 NM, 338WM, 358 NM, 416 Taylor, 458 WM. A 7RM and 416 Taylor would be cool, probably would need some heavier mechanism.
    A free society must outlaw harming innocent people to function, but when we seek to curtail what all of us can do, rather than holding each of us responsible for what we actually do, we give up on freedom itself.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer nowarningshot's Avatar
    Guess already having been there and done that, the 338LM would not appeal to me in a MM. What i was really getting at was the ability to have a light and medium "magnum" with the only cost being the extra barrel, since sharing the same case and bolt face....one would think that the gas system would be identical. The frugal and fudd coming out in me, trying to justify a $5K rifle by spending even more money.

Dont get me wrong, i liked my 338LM, seems i read a article about the engineering and materials involved in developing a 338LM semi(not Alexander Arms IIRC). Pretty niche market, for a very expensive caliber...brass....projectiles....not really sure that it would pay ATRS to do this. Probably it is going to be the 300WM, but since there are no commercially adopted other bores based on the 300WM case....well i would not be able to double dip, like i am sure some of the MH buyers did with the 308 case builds.
    A free society must outlaw harming innocent people to function, but when we seek to curtail what all of us can do, rather than holding each of us responsible for what we actually do, we give up on freedom itself.

I'm very interested in this. I'm not familiar with the MH internals. Will this model take AR15 trigger groups and BCG?

Also, will this take AR15 PMAGs, or will there be an issue with mag geometry?
    Last edited by Donster 125; 07-18-2015 at 11:39 PM.

CGN Regular
    Triggers and bcg are proprietary/modiefied to avoid being reclassified,at least this was the case with the mh
    Last edited by purplezuk; 07-19-2015 at 02:25 AM.

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NaviDave View Post
    Is .223 Wylde 1:8 twist an option?
    This is the chambering that has been discussed, and most of our AR's are chambered in, so it's a fairly safe bet. Rick has stated that 1:8 is the planned twist rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Donster 125 View Post
    I'm very interested in this. I'm not familiar with the MH internals. Will this model take AR15 trigger groups and BCG?

Also, will this take AR15 PMAGs, or will there be an issue with mag geometry?
    The Modern Hunter runs a modified AR10 bolt carrier group, but the components in the bolt carrier such as the bolt and firing pin are standard, readily available parts.
    The hunter utilizes a Timney AR10 drop in trigger pack, with a proprietary trigger retention system and is only compatible with drop in Timney trigger packs.

We plan to have the Modern Varminter be compatible with standard AR15 style magazines. For the time being, just envision a Modern Hunter scaled down.
    Once we have the classification from the RCMP we will have more details for you.

Quote Originally Posted by nowarningshot View Post
    So my question is .....when will we see a Modern magnum? Still thinking of a switch barrel double gun for that. The 2.5" magnum family would be interesting, perhaps a bit fuddy to be called "Modern". I would be happy with a modern rifle creating the "modern" in the moniker, not necessarily the caliber....but the 308 is not entirely new either.
    From my understanding of all the threads/posts I've read here on CGN regarding the Modern Hunter rifle, ATRS went with the name Modern Hunter due to the semi.-auto. rifle platform becoming more popular in recent decades for hunting small and large game in North America and not so much with respect to calibers as most/all available calibers (so far) are not so modern.

While large calibre semi.-auto. rifles may not be as popular as large calibre bolt action rifles for big game hunting in Canada yet (just my guesstimate), but I'm sure the Modetn Hunter will help to change that as the trend to switch to semi.-auto. for small and large game hunting is gaining in popularity more and more in Canada as new and innovative Non-Restricted semi.-auto. rifles become available. (The Modern Hunter would not have been a necessary project for ATRS if it were not for the fact that we as law abiding Canadian hunters and firearm enthusiasts were stripped of our rights to use the AR15/AR10 rifle platforms in a hunting or Non-Restricted scenario respectively.)

One need only look south of the border where it is legal to hunt with an AR15/AR10 semi.-auto. rifle platform to recognize that the hunting of all size game with a semi.-auto. rifle is in seriously popular.

No dis-respect intended to your post Nowarningshot, just stating what I think to be the reason for the choice of this particular rifles model description: i.e.. Modern Hunter. Albeit I could be completely incorrect in my assumption(s) as I can't actually recall the reason(s) ATRS gave us for their choice of the Modern Hunter name at this time (it's very late).

Cheers D
    Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target.

If the Modern Varminter ends up being close to $3500 there will be a a lot of Tavors, ACR,s and XCR's for sale.
    Match grade barrel with a 223 Wylde chamber? Just awesome.
    Hopefully ATRS can keep the overall weight reasonable.
    getting wet in beautiful BC

Quote Originally Posted by close range View Post
    If the Modern Varminter ends up being close to $3500 there will be a a lot of Tavors, ACR,s and XCR's for sale.
    Match grade barrel with a 223 Wylde chamber? Just awesome.
    Hopefully ATRS can keep the overall weight reasonable.
    Im into my MH for only slightly more than that (with most options upgraded) so i think it is very viable that the price will be in competition with those other rifles.

I also think the weight will be right in the mix with standard ar15 platforms depending on the options you go with.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnC6 View Post
    Is it going to work with any mags?
    AR15 mags as it shares the identical magwell and upper/lower dimensions as our AT15 does, and they accept Magpul, IMI, CAA as well as most metal mags and our own pistol mags.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast