Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast

Thread: The Modern Varmint rifle

CGN Regular
    I have to admit, a 30 cal ( 300 blackout ) MV would be very interesting, and It could lead to having all 3 in the series of modern rifles in 30 cal when the magnum arrives.
    But in all honesty, I'd most likely stick to the 223 simply for ammunition availability.
    I think sticking to a single caliber makes sense from a business point of view, as 90 percent or more would elect to use 223 and othercalibers may create headaches that aren't worth the time.

CGN frequent flyer
    If its priced anywhere near one of the current, high end, non restricted semi auto rifles (Tavor, XCR etc) I will sell my both my NR .223 and My AR and buy one FOR SURE. After looking at the MH... its just a beauty.

Not sure if this has been asked or not, but are the bolts interchangeable between the AR platform and the MH platform?

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by purplezuk View Post
    I have to admit, a 30 cal ( 300 blackout ) MV would be very interesting, and It could lead to having all 3 in the series of modern rifles in 30 cal when the magnum arrives.
    But in all honesty, I'd most likely stick to the 223 simply for ammunition availability.
    I think sticking to a single caliber makes sense from a business point of view, as 90 percent or more would elect to use 223 and other calibers may create headaches that aren't worth the time.
    I seriously doubt we will offer a 300 Blackout or anything but 223 and potentially 204 as they ARE varmint calibers. After all we are NOT making a weapon of war, it is a purpose built VARMINT rifle. The biggest reason for 223 only is liability as there are many cases of guys mistakenly loading 300 into 223 barrels and blowing up the guns, some of which have resulted in injuries and then lawsuits. Simply not making 1 solves that problem all together.
    Obviously we can not stop guys from changing a barrel, but it nicely colors us off of the liability page if it is not a factory offering.

Also to keep our assembly nightmare to a minimum, simply trying to keep all the guns ordered correct and made as ordered has become a major undertaking. We now see the genius of Ford and his any color as long as it is black plan.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    If its priced anywhere near one of the current, high end, non restricted semi auto rifles (Tavor, XCR etc) I will sell my both my NR .223 and My AR and buy one FOR SURE. After looking at the MH... its just a beauty.

Not sure if this has been asked or not, but are the bolts interchangeable between the AR platform and the MH platform?
    The MH employs a standard DPMS AR10 style bolt , the carrier is significantly different. This will be the same in the MV but with an AR15 bolt .

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

Quote Originally Posted by hend238 View Post
    Yeah I just read that as well.

Is there a benefit to the Wylde chamber then if not shooting Nato 5.56 or high pressure ammo or heavy long bullets? If a guy was to only hand load for the MV using lightweight varmint bullets at "normal pressures", would the Wylde chamber still be advantageous?

Rick; do you have other 223 match chamber rearmers on hand or is the Wylde the chamber of choice?
    We have used the 223 Wylde chambering reamers on 99% of all the 223 rifles we have built over the last several years. we do have a 223 Remington "match" reamer as well but only use it on bolt rifles and advise those who insist that is really is not the best option anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by 1leggeddog View Post
    Any pictures of said new rifle?
    Nope. But if you can visualize a Modern Hunter and imagine it as 30% smaller you would get the exact picture. Check out the photos of the MH in that thread, all that has changed is the size. I suppose 1 could also see what a Modern Magnum will look like if they increased the screen size of a photo of the MH

Quote Originally Posted by Blastattack View Post
    Does/would/could it be equipped with an adjustable gas block?
    The rifles will come with a fixed lo pro gas block specifically engineered for the rifle. A person "could" retrofit an adjustable gas block should they wish to and deal with the failure to feed and hassle attached to adjustable gas blocks, and void the warranty by making a "Frankengun" if they wish. We have no control over that.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnC6 View Post
    milspec on a proprietary rifle? what?
    My thoughts exactly.

Yohann160 We are NOT building a military rifle and have gone to great lengths and cost to distance our rifles from a RESTRICTED military rifle. Therefore the specs will be significantly better than Milspec, but not all Milspec stuff will fit.
    You do understand that Milspec is simply the minimum specification to meet military standards. A foreign military standard I might add as most of this nonsense is based on US military spec.

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Yohann160 We are NOT building a military rifle and have gone to great lengths and cost to distance our rifles from a RESTRICTED military rifle. Therefore the specs will be significantly better than Milspec, but not all Milspec stuff will fit.
    You do understand that Milspec is simply the minimum specification to meet military standards. A foreign military standard I might add as most of this nonsense is based on US military spec.
    I think what some of us are wondering is whether we will be able to keep making the rifle ours down the road by upgrading things like hand guards (hence my earlier question on barrel threading) as attachment standards have evolved over the past couple of years and I for one would see a Modern Varminter as a long-term investment. I would want to know that the barrel nut threading and gas block sizing won't prevent me from upgrading to whatever comes after keymod and M-LOK.

I certainly respect and appreciate the effort that ATR is making to bring the MH and MV platforms to us - I'm very keen to make an MV my first big ticket firearms purchase.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by yohann160 View Post
    Will the upper's geometry allow a KMR or a KAC URX4 to fit?
    We do not know, seeing as we do not deal with knights the only way to find out is to buy 1 and try it on our gun. If it fits great , if not you have a fore end to sell. Given knights propensity for proprietary hardware it is hard to say, our upper will employ a standardized AR15 barrel nut, and standard spec top rail height if that helps you determine anything.
    At this point we are trying to determine which furniture within the manufacturers we can supply product from will fit. Those manufacturers who we do not do business with are not being contemplated for our option list of furniture.
    Once we have the list of options we will be posting this info in a build sheet as we have done with our Modern Hunter on our website.