Page 1 of 16 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: The Modern Varmint rifle

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar

The Modern Varmint rifle

Well the prototype of the Modern Varmint which is the baby brother to the Modern Hunter rifle is done and the rifles are going into production. For those who have been living under a rock for the last 4 years, we are speaking of a new NON Restricted semi auto made in Canada. The Modern Hunter is similar in many aspects to an AR10, the Modern Varmint is closer in size to an AR15.

Unlike the Hunter, the Varmint will be only offered in 223 at least for the foreseeable future. We are thinking of offering 18.6 and 20" barrel length options only as really a longer barrel on a gas gun does very little, but will have several options for contours.

Given that the varmint is the identical operating system and is identical in every way to the Hunter with the exception of it being a smaller platform, we expect to encounter very little resistance from the SFSS/RCMP as far as legal classification goes.

In order to stave off a ton of questions here is the basic lowdown.

Those who were in on the first production run of Modern Hunters will be offered the opportunity to have the same serial number affixed to a Varmint should they elect to purchase 1. IF your name is not in our records of having a custom serial number on a first run MH, you are not eligible. Don't ask, I can tell you the answer now. not gonna happen.
    For 1st run MH owners we are leaving you an open window, so should you want a Varmint at a later time we can accommodate you in an upcoming production run. Our way of saying Thank You for the initial leap of faith and to keep the value of your investment as high and desirable as is possible.

We do NOT have firm pricing established yet, but can say they will be less expensive than the MH's are. They will still be significantly more $$ than a Norc, but also far higher quality. Same as what our MHs are in fit, finish and quality.

Well known and proven Match grade barrels ONLY are being employed. no chrome lined or off shore stuff.
    We will be using Lilja, Proof Research and Jury barrels. An 8 twist barrel is the plan.

Trigger again will be a single stage but in a 3 lb trigger pull that is non changeable rather than the 4lb found in the MH.

Same side charge type system as the MH uses. Same time proven direct gas impingement system as AR15's employ.

There will NOT be any pictures shown on the web until the SFSS has had their fun. So don't bother to ask. Just look at MH photos and think same but smaller.

We have absolutely no clue as to when these may be available for sale due to the SFSS inspection process. We are certainly hoping that this 1 will be quicker than the 2 plus years the MH took.

We are still looking at assorted furniture for compatibility, more to follow once we have more on that.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

I bought a Modern Hunter, i'm in for the Varminter and i will be for the Magnum version too.

This news makes my day honestly!

Ill be in too. Love my MH.

Id like to know when for the down payment and rough price point. Of course the available options too.

I still say it would be better off with a standard ar charging handle to open up options all over. Its the only thing i dont like on my MH.

A little less then a MH rifle would be about right, so depending on the barrel/furniture... I'm guessing 3.5Kg w/o mag. or optics.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Any idea on weight of the rifle?
    Btw ATRS great to here this is becoming available, should prove a very popular rifle.

Cheers D
    Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target.

Awesome & thank you so much for doing this! I can't wait to get matched serial numbers! My whole 2015 firearms budget went to my MH & glass. I guess I know where my 2016 budget is going!

I also hope you will offer other calibers!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patt08 View Post
    Just curious, if this rifle was just the modern hunter, but in .223 rem would it instantly be able to be produced without having to get an entire new model accepted by the lab rats? Or are there too many differences ( size, weight, dimensions etc.) that it needs to be its own model entirely? Just curious how this works.
    Because it is a scaled down dimensionally, and not just chambered differently, the RCMP require doing a quick once over. As such, ATRS will have to submit a sample to be reviewed and given a child FRT.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

CGN frequent flyer Bad Lieutenant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    Costing more than the cheapest AR on the market doesn't give me any useful info. Can you be a bit more precise
    Obviously he can't right now, which is sort of the point. They posted all they know in the OP and specifically requested we don't ask them a bunch of questions they can't answer right now.

We know it will be a quality rifle. Just look at the MH. I'm sure you can guess that it'll be on the higher end of the price scale, but it'll also be worth it.

Just think... an NR 'AR'! (I'm as giddy as a kid on xmas morning).

Just keep looking at Mk 12 SPRs and look up the prices of premium ARs...
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
    "This whole war could have been avoided. Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this." - Tony Soprano

CGN Ultra frequent flyer hawk-i's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post
    that is like asking why an AR15 is usually cheaper than a AR10. one is more costly to produce.
    Why is a ar15 more costly to produce than a ar10....they both have pretty much the same parts except for a slight differences in size of those parts. The amount of machining is pretty much the same.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ShawnC6's Avatar
    It's pretty simple why it's cheaper. All initial R&D was done on the modern hunter and only had to be scaled down. As well less material needed and a larger market for AR15 type rifles.

They will need less money per rifle with larger orders to make up the costs.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    Because it is a scaled down dimensionally, and not just chambered differently, the RCMP require doing a quick once over. As such, ATRS will have to submit a sample to be reviewed and given a child FRT.
    No. It requires a new parent frt number. Child frt numbers would apply to barrel length and caliber differences to its own model variations.

It is a new gun model. Not just a tweak to a hunter receiver.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

Page 1 of 16 12345678911 ... LastLast