Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PAL Wait Time With Questionable Medical Records

BANNED

PAL Wait Time With Questionable Medical Records

Hey all, was wondering if anybody has had any sort mental disorders e.g. depression and could tell me how long the wait times are for approval. On my records it says I had depression for a few years. I want to say I don't on the application just to prevent additional waiting. Any feedback/advice are welcome. Cheers!

Lying on the APP will only lead to trouble. they will find out..... be honest and they will do there best to help you out!

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguym70 View Post
    Lying on the APP will only lead to trouble. they will find out..... be honest and they will do there best to help you out!
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking but a part of me thinks I may be able to get away with it since I don't have anything else documented that would cause them to think that. I know people with a history of depression are able to get guns in Canada. It's just the wait

i would recommend telling the truth and then follow the PAL wait time reduction tips. rather safe then sorry

Minor depression is more common than many people believe and doesn't make your medical record questionable, in my opinion. The following is my own experience and should not be considered health/legal advice.

I went to the doc 4 years ago for symptoms of depression such as sluggishness and lack of motivation (though I never had any thoughts of self-harm or harm to others). He put me on meds and sent me out the door but they seemed to dull my mental sharpness. With his permission I stopped the meds and adjusted my lifestyle to include more outdoor activity, rigorous exercise, less alcohol, more water and better food, felt better than ever not long after. Two months later I went back, was declared "cured" and have been feelin' good ever since. Something tells me lifestyle choices were the problem in the first place.

Considering it had been over three years since I was declared healthy by a licensed medical professional I felt comfortable checking "NO" on that question on the PAL and received my card no problem.

That being said, your situation may be different, and in general, honesty is the best policy when dealing with the federalies.
    Last edited by Lumberjack_Kerouac; 07-20-2015 at 08:12 PM. Reason: grammar

BANNED
    Thanks for the response. I had a similar problem. I was feeling sluggish, tired and unmotivated as you were describing except I did occasionally ask, "why am I still alive?". The difference though is that the solution was the complete opposite for me. For the entirety of my time having depression, I was proactive in trying to battle it i.e. forcing myself to talk to people and try to make friends. I would constantly force myself to read and gain some sort of insightful knowledge about the world. I also started working out halfway through the duration of it (still continuing). However, I felt that none of it helped; they were all "bad investments" if you can relate. It was only a 7 months ago that I decided to see my doctor about anti-depressants. He gave me some and in a matter of 6 weeks I'd say I was finally feeling satisfied with my life.

All in all, I am thinking of doing what you did, not because I'm a delinquent, but because I genuinely do feel that I am better and it's not a big deal.

To anyone who's reading this, I say as well that this is my own personal experience and am not guaranteeing that what I did may work for anyone else as seen between the experiences of lumberjack and I.

Keep in mind the form does say 5 (FIVE) years.

Perjury is no joke.
    Last edited by Lumberjack_Kerouac; 07-20-2015 at 08:48 PM.

From what you've laid out here, I'd tell the truth and check yes.

If they feel the need, they will ask you for permission to access medical records. That might mean a month or two of extra waiting, but that's better than not/never getting your licence.

CGN frequent flyer
    That's best, because if they think you are hiding something then it will be a NO for sure....

- Ring Ring - hello this is Cpl Bloggin's from the Firearms Center and you are listed as a reference for Bob. Have you ever known him to be violent, depressed, suicidal?

- Well I know he was little depressed a couple of years back - think he took some meds for it but seems fine now...

BANNED
    Guess I will be just honest from what you guys are telling me. Thanks for the input guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast