Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Updated***DA 50 qaulity issues and first thoughts

Updated***DA 50 qaulity issues and first thoughts

Quick update, canada ammo is replacing upper! Not that I doubted them, it's nice to see these guys care that much about customers. Speaks volumes!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1732
Size:  42.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1726
Size:  27.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1732
Size:  42.2 KBHello all. I picked up a DA 50 upper, and before some of you state you got what was coming to you, I fully lowered my expectations on the finish and machining marks with the price point this was being offered at. I expected something like a norinco. Looks like crap but bullet proof and with out thinking about it, safe.

Saying that, I've purchased from Canada ammo before and have been very happy with the purchases. I guess chalk it up to being concerned a bit more with the larger round being chambered this time.

But upon receiving it and performing a tear down inspection and cleaning, I couldn't help but noticing some concerns. I have a few questions for others who have bought the upper.

1-Does your bolt lock up tight, or does it have some forward/backward slop? I have about 3-4mm travel or slop without a round in the chamber (I haven't received the ammo I ordered yet). Is this normal?

2-Does your upper look like its been fired? Mine does, curious if its from the proof testing, a returned firearm which I don't believe it would be, or a initial tested upper? I have brass marks on the bolt face along with a purple ring, which I'm assuming is from the primer sealer. But looking over the upper, I cant find any proof marks striked. Any one else see this on their upper?

3-Where the barrel shroud bolts onto the receiver, on the top and bottom with the two allen key cap screws, my receiver is dimpled from the ends of the cap screws or almost machined through the bolt channel. I know its not in the chamber where the pressures would cause concern, but I'm wondering what the hell this means for a safety factor. Does anyone else have these marks?

I have no idea how to post pics up here, but if someone can enlighten me, I'm willing to learn!
    Last edited by cgypal; 07-26-2015 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cgypal View Post
    I have no idea how to post pics up here, but if someone can enlighten me, I'm willing to learn!
    Check out this thread HERE
    That's the only part of this thread I can help with
    Anyone doing any Long-Range, Pistol, or Action-Shooting in or around the Elk Valley/Crowsnest Pass? I'd love to tag along, send me a PM

Hello all. I picked up a DA 50 upper, and before some of you state you got what was coming to you, I fully lowered my expectations on the finish and machining marks with the price point this was being offered at. I expected something like a norinco. Looks like crap but bullet proof and with out thinking about it, safe.

Saying that, I've purchased from Canada ammo before and have been very happy with the purchases. I guess chalk it up to being concerned a bit more with the larger round being chambered this time.

But upon receiving it and performing a tear down inspection and cleaning, I couldn't help but noticing some concerns. I have a few questions for others who have bought the upper.

1-Does your bolt lock up tight, or does it have some forward/backward slop? I have about 3-4mm travel or slop without a round in the chamber (I haven't received the ammo I ordered yet). Is this normal?

2-Does your upper look like its been fired? Mine does, curious if its from the proof testing, a returned firearm which I don't believe it would be, or a initial tested upper? I have brass marks on the bolt face along with a purple ring, which I'm assuming is from the primer sealer. But looking over the upper, I cant find any proof marks striked. Any one else see this on their upper?

3-Where the barrel shroud bolts onto the receiver, on the top and bottom with the two allen key cap screws, my receiver is dimpled from the ends of the cap screws or almost machined through the bolt channel. I know its not in the chamber where the pressures would cause concern, but I'm wondering what the hell this means for a safety factor. Does anyone else have these marks?

3 or 4 mm of forward / backward free play? You gotta be kidding. How can that possibly be?

Freeplay with regards to bolt lock-up would also be of concern to me!!
    Enjoying your freedom? Thank A Soldier !!!

You say nobody needs an AR15? Well nobody needs a whiny little b*tch either yet here you are!

Just a thought as I have no idea how these uppers work. But perhaps when a round is chambered it will take care of the slop. I would think if there was that much slop with a round chambered and you say it looks like it has been fired that gun would no longer be in one piece. If it has that much play with a round chambered I would not be firing it. Hopefully all works out. I am interested in one of these myself.
    Last edited by HOSSONE; 07-23-2015 at 09:06 AM. Reason: spelling

CGN frequent flyer Bad Lieutenant's Avatar
    Yes, check that thread suggested to you above. There are several sites you can choose from. I've tried a couple... but I use Imgur. (www.imgur.com)

Free and super easy / user friendly. Hope this helps. Would like to see pics of you DA .50

Actually, would love to see pics of any guns you have!
    Last edited by Bad Lieutenant; 07-23-2015 at 11:52 AM.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
    "This whole war could have been avoided. Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this." - Tony Soprano

I've never had a bolt-action that had play in the bolt after closing it, but a bolt-action single shot AR upper is slightly different. However, the important part is headspace. You may want to consider getting a headspace gauge for 50 BMG to make sure it is tight. I imagine the round will tighten up the bolt face once it is chambered and closed, but the only indication of safety is by checking for excessive headspacing, which is strictly between the bolt face and the shoulder.

Edit: How can you tell the bolt face is moving 3-4mm in the chamber when the bolt is closed? Or is the play in the whole bolt?

Hello all. I picked up a DA 50 upper, and before some of you state you got what was coming to you, I fully lowered my expectations on the finish and machining marks with the price point this was being offered at. I expected something like a norinco. Looks like crap but bullet proof and with out thinking about it, safe.

Hello my dear friend,

I designed DA50 for CanadaAmmo.com. It has been a pleasure to work with this best firearm comapny in Canada. DA50 is a fine Canadian rifle. for exampel, the surface is Nitro coated. That's as good any coating can go. The same as HK or any big brand.

Here I will try to answer your question:

1, the gap - All firearm has it or we will have serious headspace problem. However, in a typical bolt action gun the firepin is in the bolt so spring push the bolt forward thus you won't feel it. DA50, however, is a hammer gun so you will feel it. Put a round in and try again. You will see the gap gone.

2, Yes we test fired each of them so far.

3, It's perfectly safe. The stength of the our receiver is at least 30 times over its requirment. I could have use aluminum to build it. However, that will create a very unbanlanced rifle because of the heavy barrel in the front. Plus, recoil will be too much even we have the best brake installed.

Should you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to email CanadaAmmo. That will bring my attention much faster. Afterall, I don't check CGN everyday.
    Cheers,

Mr. Q
    Designer at CanadaAmmo.com

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    ^^^^^^^^^

Wow, right from the designer.

Too bad we couldn't get that for a bunch of other manufacturing too!
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Q View Post
    Hello my dear friend,

I designed DA50 for CanadaAmmo.com. It has been a pleasure to work with this best firearm comapny in Canada. DA50 is a fine Canadian rifle. for exampel, the surface is Nitro coated. That's as good any coating can go. The same as HK or any big brand.

Here I will try to answer your question:

1, the gap - All firearm has it or we will have serious headspace problem. However, in a typical bolt action gun the firepin is in the bolt so spring push the bolt forward thus you won't feel it. DA50, however, is a hammer gun so you will feel it. Put a round in and try again. You will see the gap gone.

2, Yes we test fired each of them so far.

3, It's perfectly safe. The stength of the our receiver is at least 30 times over its requirment. I could have use aluminum to build it. However, that will create a very unbanlanced rifle because of the heavy barrel in the front. Plus, recoil will be too much even we have the best brake installed.

Should you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to email CanadaAmmo. That will bring my attention much faster. Afterall, I don't check CGN everyday.

Hey, great to hear your on here, makes this really easy to find out.

So I've actually measured it after ive had some sleep. Please forgive my imperial to metric conversion late last night. It has an 1/8" play or slop on the entire bolt once the handle has been put down.

Forgive my lack of knowledge in how one builds a firearm, but curious wise. Is it test fired once it's assembled by you, is it suppose to be proofed stamp from you guys, or is it mossbergs proof on the barrel good enough for all around?

As far as the receiver, I still have to sign up to post a picture in relation to the dimples or such.

I'm honestly stuck at work and had to sneak out to post this. If I can email the pictures to someone who can post them, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'll also send them to you Q

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast