Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning first rifle - Damaged barrel?

Did you push the brush through dry? You should always push a patch wet with solvent first, and even then put some solvent on the brush, then clean again with patches until patches come out clean.

CGN Regular
    My cz has a tight barrel

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magellann View Post
    It will be fine, but get yourself a decent one piece cleaning rod such as a Tipton or a Dewey, Ive broken a few of those cheap aluminium or brass sectional rods over the years.
    ^^ This ^^

The biggest issue is if you accidentally end up with a too tight patch: I have snapped a rod off one (only once - I learned) cheap aluminum rod at the connection point mid rod. I have, I believe, four Tipton coated rods with guides and I like them a lot: the closer to proper size and length for the calibre the better.
    Last edited by Aniest; 08-13-2015 at 02:23 PM. Reason: moar info!
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

My understanding is that you hardly ever have to clean .22 calibre rifles.

That said; I got an aluminum rod stuck in a .22 once when I gave it its one-in-10-year cleaning and it never shot the same since.
    Weller soldering gun
    Hot glue gun
    Powershot forward action staple and nail gun
    Super Soaker

CGN frequent flyer
    CZ are known for having a tight bore, so you do need to be careful. There is also an extractor in there that may be what is scratching your rod....get a bore guide. I bought an Otis pull through kit and will never go back to using a rod, I highly recommend it.

Never use aluminum rods in any rifle or pistol barrel. Although as mentioned the rod is softer than the steel, if you do not get the little bits and pieces of aluminum out then fire the gun, you can push that aluminum into the steel and it will be a ##### to get out later. Also, CZ's have very, very right bores, you are better off using a good solvent and a patch, one way only, to clean it.

Scott
    "Happy to meet, sorry to part, happy to meet again"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12