Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning first rifle - Damaged barrel?

Cleaning first rifle - Damaged barrel?

Hi all,

I just bought my first rifle (bolt action .22) and after taking it out for a spin with my buddy, decided to clean it. I bought one of those cheapo Hoppe's rifle and shotgun cleaning kits with the aluminum rods with a bronze brush and made a couple of passes through the bore, breech to muzzle. The fit of the brush felt very tight (normal for new brushes?) and after looking at the rod, I noticed that it was scratched up. I looked down thebarrel and I think I may have seen some scratching. Can aluminum rods cause damage that quickly? After doing a little bit of research it seems as those segmented aluminum rods are frowned upon and that a single-unit piece seems to be the way to go. The name Dewey keeps popping up.

Anywho, just wondering if you guys think these rods may have caused damage after only a couple of passes, or if I'm just going a little nutty over my new baby. Any general cleaning tips for newb would also be appreciated.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer RobertMcC's Avatar
    I wouldn't worried I doubt softer alum would destroy a barrel when military uses steel rods in hands of privates.

CGN Regular Doors of Perception's Avatar
    Not likely - Aluminum is a lot softer than steel. Keep on cleaning you won't damage anything.
    If a hammer doesn't fix it you might have an electrical problem.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    It will be fine, but get yourself a decent one piece cleaning rod such as a Tipton or a Dewey, Ive broken a few of those cheap aluminium or brass sectional rods over the years.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tjsudbury's Avatar
    It's phuked now. I'll give you ten bucks for it, you pay the shipping.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kodiakjack's Avatar
    I'll give you $12, plus a recently expired coupon for Burger King.
    The Bee does not squander his time trying to explain to the Fly why honey is better than s**t. Each creature is content with the meal laid before them, so the Bee reserves his endeavor for those who know its worth.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kodiakjack's Avatar
    It's fine. No need to worry about it :-)

By the way, what type of rifle is your "baby"?
    The Bee does not squander his time trying to explain to the Fly why honey is better than s**t. Each creature is content with the meal laid before them, so the Bee reserves his endeavor for those who know its worth.

I'm curious to know if you bought the rifle from Lever Arms? If so, I was the guy behind you getting some magpul goodies..
    "From My Cold, Dead Hands." - Charlton Heston

BANNED
    Aluminum rods will never cause damage to steel. You don't need high priced brand name stuff for cleaning either.
    Brushes can be a bit tight when new. Really tight means it's the wrong brush.

Thanks for the reply. After posting this I decided to look up the comparative hardnesses of steel and aluminum and realised I had nothing to worry about. And I bought a CZ455 Lux in .22LR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast