Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Quest: Getting My PAL!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lyman54's Avatar
    GoodDoomguy, didn't want to offend you. I hope you have a long and happy life together. A good set of earmuffs will solve noise problems at the range if by chance she might go.
    If guns cause crime, mine must be defective

I recently took the two day course with Silvercore, and can vouch for it (waiting for my PAL/RPAL right now). I agree with everything 'burnaby' said. All I took was a DL, notepad, pen, and snacks. The course was interesting, and the instructor was great. If you pay attention and take the notes they tell you too, the tests are easy. Good luck!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnaby's Avatar
    Wild perceive notions, good thing you are not an anti. Reality is most are older guy. Also see a fair share of small female many of which are good shooters.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodDoomguy View Post
    ...I'm afraid to take her on her first trip there and see lots of longhaired tattooed bearded muscle guys shooting .50 Browning MGs (not that I have anything against any of the above, but to a 24 year young Asian girl that's enough to freak the heck outta her).
    Revolvers RULE; remember that next time you BEND over to pick up brass OR ejected brass pings off the precision gear.
    Looking for a car pool buddy for weekly weekday trips from Burnaby to POCO. Better yet I'll drive weekly and you take me hunting.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnaby's Avatar
    Do they still have the 10% of your next course if you sign up while attending any course. Signed up and got 10% off my CORE course.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDreams View Post
    I recently took the two day course with Silvercore, and can vouch for it (waiting for my PAL/RPAL right now). I agree with everything 'burnaby' said. All I took was a DL, notepad, pen, and snacks. The course was interesting, and the instructor was great. If you pay attention and take the notes they tell you too, the tests are easy. Good luck!
    Revolvers RULE; remember that next time you BEND over to pick up brass OR ejected brass pings off the precision gear.
    Looking for a car pool buddy for weekly weekday trips from Burnaby to POCO. Better yet I'll drive weekly and you take me hunting.

Hi Burnaby,

Yes they do. However, the way they explained it to me, you had to fill out a feedback form and specify any courses you are interested in. I did that, and a lady called me a few days later, but I could only get the 10% off if I signed up within a week of her call. So if you did the course a while ago, you may not qualify, unless you already signed up for a specific course offering. Maybe the rules were different when you did it?

I wanted to take their Shotgun 1 course, but the next offering is in November, so I didn't commit. They offer lots of the safety courses. They have a variety of other cool looking courses but those don't get offered very frequently it seems.

lyman54 - No offense taken buddy Just curious because after reading your post I was thinking if owning guns will increase divorce chances? I wish not

BlueSkyDreams - Thanks! That makes me less nervous. Looking forward going down there next weekend!

burnaby - Cool to hear. I don't mind seeing experienced gunners, and certainly don't mind seeing females, whom I respect. I believe many good Russian snipers during WWII were females. And yes I think it's a combined course, so PAL day 1 and RPAL day 2 correct.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Butcherbill's Avatar
    Silvercore is great, you won't be disappointed. They make being stuck in a classroom for two days fun for the most part and more importantly they'll give you all the info you need to pass the course. Wife and I took the pal/rpal class through them as well as the core hunter, I just did their level 1 handgun class and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

You cover the pal/rpal material and hands on safety part of the class over the first and part of the second day, second half of the second day is the multiple choice written tests (seperate tests for pal & rpal) as well as practical safe firearms handling. Instructors will ask you to pick up PROVE safe, identify ammo (dummy rounds) and load/unload. Fun stuff, enjoy it.

Oh and don't worry about the bearded tattooed guys you might see/meet at the range, we don't all bite lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbill View Post
    Silvercore is great, you won't be disappointed. They make being stuck in a classroom for two days fun for the most part and more importantly they'll give you all the info you need to pass the course. Wife and I took the pal/rpal class through them as well as the core hunter, I just did their level 1 handgun class and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

You cover the pal/rpal material and hands on safety part of the class over the first and part of the second day, second half of the second day is the multiple choice written tests (seperate tests for pal & rpal) as well as practical safe firearms handling. Instructors will ask you to pick up PROVE safe, identify ammo (dummy rounds) and load/unload. Fun stuff, enjoy it.

Oh and don't worry about the bearded tattooed guys you might see/meet at the range, we don't all bite lol.
    LoL thanks for the wealth of info Butcherbill, much obliged! Silvercore's courses do sound fun indeed, can't wait to head down there. And haha some of my friends whom I hangout with fit the description, I'm perfectly at home with you guys lol. Just don't wanna scare my fiancée. But then again she's a smart girl (that's one of the reason I gone out with her back in university; she's top of her class for 3 consecutive years) so I think she'll come to. Always worth a try, getting your girl to love firearms.

YAY! Passed my written and practical exams for Non-restricted and Restricted today!! Now just got to take a firearms license photo, get a few signatures, fill some info and mail it off!! Cheers!!

P.S. A big thank you to the Silvercore guys! All three guys are super fun to talk to, and all are great instructors! Never had so much fun in a class, hope to see you guys again real soon after my honeymoon!!
    Last edited by GoodDoomguy; 08-09-2015 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Additional info on Silvercore

make sure you send it with a tracking number at minimum, or with a signature, $15 or $16 to see excatly when they get it is better then sitting around wondering for a few weeks

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast