Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Quest: Getting My PAL!

"She felt better when I told her a gun safe is required for gun owners"

A safe is not a requirement for owning guns

Jmassecar - Your wife is cool using a bow, should I get my fiancée t start with one too? She's just really nervous with firearms, or even knives... I was told the other day to put our fruit knifes in the kitchen a certain way, just literally to avoid being accidentally cut.

Still alive - Thank you sir! You know what, that's exactly what the guys at Silvercore suggested too. I'm actually really interested in buying WWI/WWII rifles and coach guns (side by side shotguns), but yes will start with .22 first And talk about black and loud, I'm planning to buy a civil war era percussion rifle musket in the future too, always liked that part of the history of our southern neighbor. And wow $5000 guns? What might these be?!

GeoShooter - You are absolutely right. I wrote that before taking the courses (took them August 8-9). At the course we were told we only be needing a secure locking device (trigger/cable lock) for non-restricted. Thanks for pointing it out!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodDoomguy View Post

Still alive - Thank you sir! You know what, that's exactly what the guys at Silvercore suggested too. I'm actually really interested in buying WWI/WWII rifles and coach guns (side by side shotguns), but yes will start with .22 first And talk about black and loud, I'm planning to buy a civil war era percussion rifle musket in the future too, always liked that part of the history of our southern neighbor. And wow $5000 guns? What might these be?!
    Oh, you're an old school guy! Check out the Milsurp section of the forum for ideas on old guns. Also sign up for the EE here asap. You won't find many new WW1/2 guns for sale these days! LOL!
    Careful with old guns. It gets addictive and stupid if you have OCD and want to collect every stamp, year and variant!
    Word of warning, there aren't many low recoiling old guns so you may not want your wife to try these at the start.
    If you didn't realize there are >$5000 firearms out there, you are going to have your eyes opened wide very soon! You have just opened the door to a very expensive hobby!
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

CGN Regular
    Jmassecar - Your wife is cool using a bow, should I get my fiancée t start with one too? She's just really nervous with firearms, or even knives... I was told the other day to put our fruit knifes in the kitchen a certain way, just literally to avoid being accidentally cut.
    I would only suggest archery if she's interested in it. My wife did it in high school, so she has some experience with it. Take her out to an archery range and rent a bow she if she likes it. It sounds like she doesn't have a lot of confidence with things that could be dangerous. I also recommend what was suggested previously with shooting a .22 first. No recoil, not loud, plenty of forgiveness. It might show her that there is nothing to fear with some knowledge and experience.
    Insert clever signature here...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Butcherbill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Still alive View Post
    As for scary tattooed guys, sure they exist on the range but they either leave you alone or are more than happy to share their guns with you. Don't let stereotypes fool you.
    ^^^This, always happy to let others shoot off a few mags of anything I've brought out. It usually results in me getting to shoot a few of theirs. Win win for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbill View Post
    ^^^This, always happy to let others shoot off a few mags of anything I've brought out. It usually results in me getting to shoot a few of theirs. Win win for everyone!
    im a big bald bearded tattooed guy, and i gladly let anyone who asks take a shot or 2 out of anything i happen to have with me, always good to have new shooting buddies!!!!

Super GunNutz
    My wife will only shoot the .22 pistol as she doesn't like recoil, doesn't even like recoil (concussion) when I shoot so be careful you don't turn her off at the start. I agree with the recoil on Milsurps, they can be harder than modern rifles, my Mosin-Nagant sniper which I love, can punch pretty hard without a limb saver. The K31 is similar and so is my 8mm VZ24. You mentioned the P08, I just ordered one from back east (1936) and am very stoked about it, looks like a fun and historic piece.
    I also offer up anything I take to the range for people to shoot, and I get to shoot interesting firearms in return, as far as I'm concerned, a good practice, but I usually watch that they know what they are doing with their own before I offer mine up.

Still alive - Thank you for the warning, checked the EE section these days and yes, $1000+ milsurps is a norm it seems! My fiancée used to like to play with my shell ejecting Kar98k airsoft, we'll see how she likes the real steel haha. Hope she won't freak out.

Jmassecar - Yes a .22 for my fiancée at first definitely. She loves the elves from Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit movies, maybe she'll like archery too. She's not that strong though maybe let her start with a kids bows.

Butcherbill - Thanks Bill! Well I'm starting off with the .22 like everyone suggested but also a few milsurps for my collection, will glad to give you a few rounds if we ever met at the range!

ian745 - It'll be an honor to meet you on the range (or anywhere) in person! Getting a few milsurps after my PAL arrives, will gladly share a few rounds with you or anyone!

Chas59 - Good tips Chas, duly noted! I'm planning to get a M91/30 too (non-sniper version) and a Kar98k to start with. Hope to meet you some day!

I also have a question guys, CFC received my application yesterday, what do I do now? I don't know how to check my status online because no internet links were provided to me as of now. Any help or tips would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

I got my card guys!! Thank you all so much!!

Licence Type: PAL & RPAL
    Course Completed: August 8-9, 2015, Test Results Provided Same Day
    Application Sent: August 21, 2015 via Registered Mail (Busy With Work)
    Application Received by CFC: August 26, 2015
    Reference Received Call: October 24
    Card Approved & Issued: October 24
    Card Received: October 28

Love you guys for all the help, proud to join you guys!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I got my card guys!! Thank you all so much!!

Licence Type: PAL & RPAL
    Course Completed: August 8-9, 2015, Test Results Provided Same Day
    Application Sent: August 21, 2015 via Registered Mail (Busy With Work)
    Application Received by CFC: August 26, 2015
    Reference Received Call: October 24
    Card Approved & Issued: October 24
    Card Received: October 28

Love you guys for all the help, proud to join you guys!!
    Congratulations! You are not really a newbie anymore, so please come and post where your interests are.
    For you, that may be Milsurps. We are going to want to share your gun buying experience vicariously.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast