Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wasp 223/556 issues!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JDForBrkFst View Post
    Sounds almost like your chamber is cut short, or the brasses shoulder wasn't quite bumped enough in sizing. I had the same happen to me with an XCR-M with my hand loads. Except it wouldn't quite go into battery usually when the bolt would get stuck. I switched dies and never looked back. Maybe toss those rounds into a head space guage, also do the same with your chamber.
    i dont have a head space gauge, but a very good suggestion - i have the unfired rounds separated and labeled for when i find a friend or time to get to my local range so they can help out.

CGN Regular
    JD, forgot to add, after an internet search you might be onto something, the chamber, and in particular the leade might be a bit short. But, given the ammo that has been tested has been both 5.56 and .223, and the particular caliber I am having trouble with is the .223 REM 55gr FMJ/BT – if the chamber is outside the spec tolerance of 0.006" I would expect this issue arise with the 5.56 more frequently as the case itself as a longer leade. Appreciate that you are thinking about this though.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer JR Hartman's Avatar
    seems odd that on a higher end firearm like this you would run into problems, if indeed it is the rifles fault.
    the CGN formerly know as John_in_BC

Ya, I'd measure the datum line to head on the shoulder and see if headspace is longer than usual..
    can't explain why it wouldn't do the exact same thing with the magazine in...

Not sure why the magazine would have any bearing on ejection cycle.. maybe your bolt is doing something different when it doesn't have a round/follower pushing up on it?

So just to confirm, you can manually cycle a full magazine of the Wasp reloads, and cycle rounds out after firing one or more, so long as the magazine is seated in the rifle? ONLY when the magazine is dropped does the loaded, unfired round fail to eject?

That sounds to me like an issue in the action TBH. If it had anything to do with the chamber, headspacing, or sizing (specifically lack thereof) of the rounds, it would be consistent regardless of magazine, no? It is bizarre that other ammo doesn't do the same though, which contradicts that thought process.

After you fire that last round that won't eject manually, does the spent casing eject normally?

Edit: I know this might sound weird, but next time after firing a few rounds, try pulling the charge handle back a bit to see if the loaded round is "free" in the chamber with the magazine still seated, bring the action and the same round back into battery, drop the magazine, and check again to see if it's jammed. This should tell you for sure if it is the rifle or the ammo. I can't imagine the magazine really having anything to do with the stuck round, but this should tell.
    Last edited by TT_270wsm; 08-04-2015 at 09:11 PM.

CGN Regular
    Hey TT270,

I really don't think it is the magazine - we tried several mags and several types of ammo. Only had this issue with the specific ammo.

The round ejects normally after fired, I will have to save a spent case to review and see if it has any markings that might give us some hints.

I mimicked your test with snap caps, good thinking, but everything 'loaded", "fired" and ejceted fine (every combo of mag in, mag out, press check, drop hammer, load on open / closed bolt, etc. No binding. Thanks a lot for.your suggestion

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JR Hartman View Post
    seems odd that on a higher end firearm like this you would run into problems, if indeed it is the rifles fault.
    From all reports guys have feed daniels everything and it just eats it up. So I'm inclinded to agree with you! But want to be sure

CGN frequent flyer
    If you want, I can bring my DD(v4) to CSC on Friday and we can test it to see if the same issue occuers. Can toss some PMC through both as well to test.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteoutjeeper View Post
    If you want, I can bring my DD(v4) to CSC on Friday and we can test it to see if the same issue occuers. Can toss some PMC through both as well to test.
    thanks for the offer whiteout. i think the soonest i can get to kate is saturday, and i think ill be heading out of town instead.
    but the following week - meet a fellow CGNer and fire off some test rounds!
    ----ill get in touch via PM

CGN frequent flyer Moparman1303's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jg007 View Post
    It's bizarre, they fire fine, eject fine, etc. The only issue is one in the chamber, drop mag, try to mannually eject last round and its binded, like no movement on the charging handle. Have to fire last round to eject it (did not try mortar technique), and it works fine.
    What mags you using?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast