Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Target not withstanding FMJ .223 from 100 yards

Target not withstanding FMJ .223 from 100 yards

After shooting my hostage target today at 100 yards (first time shooting it with .223), it left gouges in the target as can be seen in the pic below... You guys might want to re write your literature and extend the distance. 9MM from 10 yards though, no problem.

Guessing you were shooting steel core 223? That would pit a steel plate. Most target manufacturers recommend not shooting steel core ammo. Also shooting steel from 10 yards is pretty risky.

Non green tip. Norinco FMJ. 10 yards is there minimum recommended. I'm not terribly worried, they're angled correctly and I wear good eye protection.

most ranges say 15M is the closest you should shoot

.223 pent rates better than 7.62x39 and 9mm usually just takes the paint off. Good eye protection won't do squat with a poorly redirected ricochet.

CGN frequent flyer
    Son you are having a blond moment, I do not care if it is AR500 steel it will spall at 100 hundred yards.
    Think about it at about 3000fps and 950 +ft lbs of energy what do you expect, the bullet is vaporizing itself the friction and heat
    is quite large try a 338 win mag at that range 210gr Nosler Partition at muzzle velocity of 3000 fps and you have .338 holes that look like someone cut the hole with a torch and I hat is 5/8 in mild steel plate!!
    Oh another thing careful with the hard ball it ricochets very easily!,

Quote Originally Posted by richmyster View Post
    Non green tip. Norinco FMJ. 10 yards is there minimum recommended. I'm not terribly worried, they're angled correctly and I wear good eye protection.
    I was just about to say: "I bet you were using Norinco Surplus ammo!"

Members of our executive board at our club experienced the same result to our club steel. We took a hacksaw and cut a Norinco bullet in half. The amount of copper jacket is twice as thick compared to ammo made buy American companies. And because that copper is so thick, it's pretty much acts as a mild steel penetrator. Long story short, Norinco Surplus 223 ammo will damage steel targets.
    "Any idiot can piss on the floor, but it takes a real hero to sh!t on the ceiling." - Maclean Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by 220 View Post
    Son you are having a blond moment, I do not care if it is AR500 steel it will spall at 100 hundred yards.
    Think about it at about 3000fps and 950 +ft lbs of energy what do you expect, the bullet is vaporizing itself the friction and heat
    is quite large try a 338 win mag at that range 210gr Nosler Partition at muzzle velocity of 3000 fps and you have .338 holes that look like someone cut the hole with a torch and I hat is 5/8 in mild steel plate!!
    Oh another thing careful with the hard ball it ricochets very easily!,
    not sure about the Xmetal plates but the AR500 plates I own have withstood 7.62x39, 5.56, 308 and 338 win mag 200gr SST @3000fps within or at 100 yards without spalling at all. high quality AR500 should shrug off almost anything, thats what we pay good money for.

GunNutz
    Eh, I found even 69gr hornady match bullets left gouges in my gong.

223 to 30-06 or 7.5 swiss, none of the big boys so much as did more than take off the paint. .223 hornady bullets left craters, granted not as big as those, but still. That at 45-70 hard cast bear loads. Those left some damage.

I just got back from shooting my hostage target this weekend. Distance 90-100 yards. Ammo- win whitebox 55gr, AE55gr and AE AR223 55gr. Compared to my other 3 plates of ar500 (3/8-1/2'') I did notice a lot more pitting per round or penetration. If I knew how to post pics I would. Id presume its on an avg. of 2 maybe 3mm of penetration. Compared to my 1/2" plates with same ammo and specs this is huge for 556 or 223. even my 3/8 plates show little wear but this is after thousands of rounds fromm 223, 39 and 308. Nothing at this dimension. I believe the original comment was on the quality of this steel, not on spalling. The manfac. states 100yds for rifle rounds. When I packed her up and took a look it was the first thing I noticed compared to experience with my other plates. Maybe 3/8 is only good for pistol rounds and they should offer 1/2 to compensate for rifle rounds. Great target for what I can say right now. Ill buy more from them in the future and ill recommend them to everyone I know! PS richmyster! Your not supposed to shoot the hostage 200 times times

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast