Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Target not withstanding FMJ .223 from 100 yards

CGN frequent flyer Don'tkillbill's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about your target. A lot of ranges are close to 100 yards but are not but only 90. Then some one moves a bench and the targets aren't at the burm etc. I saw a guy burn up a target very quickly. Green tip does have a bit more bit penetration. 62 grains bullet with a bit of steel to increase penetrating power. I would stick to pure lead FMJ maybe even HPBT. 100 yards is close for an ar15 it will leave a mark. Speed kills steel. Try 150 if its available and I bet you'll be happy.

norinco white box 55 grain is steel core
    "I tell you it dead"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ShawnC6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by onthehunt View Post
    norinco white box 55 grain is steel core

Pretty sure it's not. NORINCO 7.62x39 is. Not 5.56

I can assure you it is. I set up a 3/8 steel plate at 60 yards, Shot it with 5 rounds of AE tactical and 5 rounds white box. all five of the white box went through none of the AE made a dent
    "I tell you it dead"

I'm fairly certain it's lead core with copper jackets. Just shoots hotter than most 223 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by onthehunt View Post
    I can assure you it is. I set up a 3/8 steel plate at 60 yards, Shot it with 5 rounds of AE tactical and 5 rounds white box. all five of the white box went through none of the AE made a dent
    It's likely the velocity doing it. You can punch a plate with a frangible round if it has speed. Whitebox isn't steel cored. Cut a round and see for yourself.
    CSSA Member

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jzz30tt View Post
    It's likely the velocity doing it. You can punch a plate with a frangible round if it has speed. Whitebox isn't steel cored. Cut a round and see for yourself.
    Sorry to resurrect this thread but you are likely right about this.... of course if the jackets are thicker as reported earlier it likely doesn't help either. I recently saw a Caldwell gong with a rating chart on it that had the screaming fast yet smaller .204 Ruger marked in red (not recommended) at 100 yards, while the slower .223 Remington was marked in green (okay) also at 100 yards.

And yes, as far as I have read I have never heard of steel cored Norinco .223/5.56

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck1978 View Post
    .223 pent rates better than 7.62x39 and 9mm usually just takes the paint off. Good eye protection won't do squat with a poorly redirected ricochet.
    Exactly, just as the guy in Texas last week who shot an armadillo twice where upon the second shot ricocheted into his belly and off to the ER to donate some serious cash to get the bullet out.
    So, did the bullets penetrate fully or just left craters in the plate?
    FLHTCUI
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123