Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by 98ssuck View Post
    My friend bubba does that all the time to his sporter. Makes the fmjs kill mooses better he says.
    This Made My Day

Quote Originally Posted by 98ssuck View Post
    My friend bubba does that all the time to his sporter. Makes the fmjs kill mooses better he says.
    Yes, it makes them deader.... or more dead. I think.
    Passion transcends reason, dreams defy prudence and desire is irrational....Party on!

CGN frequent flyer
    Both a brass rod and a bronze brush are significantly lower on the hardness scale than a steel barrel. This means they should not directly scratch the barrel, if used carefully. However, debris picked up in the bristles and along the shaft of the rod has no guarantees from Herr Mohs. If you're not paying attention and rubbing the sides of the crown, hammering it through, and otherwise applying pressure at the wrong spots at the right angles, it will erode away what you don't want eroded.

Some brushes, even though bronze, might have a steel wire twist core, or threaded base (it could also be soft aluminium). So if this contacts the barrel, particularly while doing the drill twisteroo, you're in trouble.

The drill procedure is usually performed with a steel brush or steel wool wrapped on a bronze one, or a mild abrasive such as JB Bore Paste. And it is usually done to polish a rough chamber which might get shells stuck on extraction, or to remove neglectful amounts of rust or lead build-up. It's easy to go too far!

If you have to do this regularly, there is something wrong with your barrel, i.e., major pitting. This will be holes left behind by rust, after the rust has been cleaned away, and they will collect copper jacket, lead, and powder fouling.
    ---
    I am the Viper.

I've come to vipe your vindows.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer IronCanadian's Avatar
    He was actually performing the procedure incorrectly; because the Lee Enfield rifling is left twist he needed to run the drill in reverse (this way the brush is turning with the rifling, instead of across the rifling).

By running the drill in forward he: a) isn't cleaning effectively and b) may be damaging the rifling in such a way to cause almost a "phantom" right twist rifling creating a "thatch" pattern in the bore.

The thatch pattern in the barrel will effectively cancel out all twist and the bullet will leave the barrel with next to no twist, this will not help accuracy.
    At some point in their life, everyone will gamble on a fart and lose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguym70 View Post
    so today I was at my local range and this guy was cleaning his gun by using a brass cleaning rod and a 30 cal brush on a drill! pushing it back and forth on slow rpms. he said a gunsmith showed him this technique!. does anyone else do this...........
    Nope, not something I would recommend doing to clean a center fire firearm.
    Prolly best you didnt say anything to the person too, otherwise one might be reading about busy bodies not minding their own business while at the range.
    Best Regards,
    Rob
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

CGN Ultra frequent flyer EL34/6L6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchman86 View Post
    Its overkill and will eventually damage the bore.
    Yup, this.
    . . . . . . . . . . . <*(((>>+. . . . . .{• )))))></. . . . . .>°)))÷÷<€ . . . . . . . . . . .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12