Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DA556 20" barrel question

DA556 20" barrel question

Hi.
    Looking at the Dominion Arms
    DA556 5.56x45 NATO 20" Rifle 1-9" Twist ($599.99 SKU: DA556A2A)
    The description states that the rear sight/handle is fixed.
    Does this mean it can't be removed or that it can't be adjusted for elev/wind?
    And does that gun come with a receiver top picatinny rail?

CGN frequent flyer 84fuegoturbo's Avatar
    The only way to remove the handle would be to change the upper receiver

Quote Originally Posted by PepeLapiu View Post
    Hi.
    Looking at the Dominion Arms
    DA556 5.56x45 NATO 20" Rifle 1-9" Twist ($599.99 SKU: DA556A2A)
    The description states that the rear sight/handle is fixed.
    Does this mean it can't be removed or that it can't be adjusted for elev/wind?
    And does that gun come with a receiver top picatinny rail?
    It's a M16A1 style rifle. The rear sights are adjustable for windage, the front sight for elevation. There is no picatinny rail.

The M16A2 introduced elevation adjustments for the rear sight.

whenever you hear fixed carry handle that means it is an integral part of the upper receiver. if you want a detachable carry handle you need what is commonly referred to as an "a3" upper which is a flat top picatinny upper.

now if you would like a flat top 20 1/9 twist barrel AR for about the same price go to ellwood epps website and search SGW, they have a used one there for around 600.
    “... and they who cried: “Appease, Appease!” are hanged by men they tried to please.”

Thanx guys.
    I guess that rules out the following one if I want to mount a scope:

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/d...-cq-556-rifle/

The next one looks like the handle/rear sight is removable and is set atop a picatinny rail.

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/d...ms-cq-a-rifle/

So I'm going to have to go for that one than. Too bad it's a 14.5 inch barrel.

Can AR parts be fitted onto these guns? If so I would eventually put a 20" barrel on it and upgrade the stock to a Magpul one. I did see the exact same gun at a local store and I really didn't like the adjustable stock on it. Finnicky to adjust on the fly.

You can do pretty much anything with the AR platform. Yes. A 20" barrel can be fitted. You will need to also look at a different gas block and gas tube. The 14.5 and many other barrels use a .75" gas block. If memory serves me correctly the 20" barrel uses a .625" gas block. A longer "rifle length" gas tube is required as well. Other than that it's about a 20 minute job to change, and then you would have to have your registration cert. updated.

Hmmm.
    I don't think I would need to update the registration.
    Only the lower receiver is registered.

If I have to change registration information every time I change barrels, we are in trouble here as I have a Sig P226 with 3 different barrels/slides/mags that can be fitted on to shoot .22lr, 9mm Luger, and .40cal. But the gun is only registered as a .22lr.
    And I change calibers on that gun as often as twice per range visit.

Actually if you check, you'll find that if it is registered as a rifle it will have the barrel length listed. Or if it is a lower and you put an upper on it. Again, I'm working from memory, but I believe it states somewhere that any and all changes must be reported within 30 days, and the cert updated. I know guys that have different slides. I also know guys that have 3 or 4 uppers for their AR with different barrel lengths. They change them out at the range and shoot them, then change them back to what is on the registration for transport/storage. But you were not talking about changing uppers, but a permanent change of barrel length on the upper that comes with the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by apage2112 View Post
    did you even check out the lever arms AR i suggested?

http://www.leverarms.com/rifles/semi...q-a1-2391.html

That seems to be exactly what you are looking for.
    Yeah I did check them out. And it is precisely what I am looking for. But the web site states China as the manufacturer. Wanting to know who is the manufacturer and knowing that China is not it, I called them.

They pretty much refused to tell me who the manufacturer is. They kept repeating that it's made in China. And when I kept on pushing for an answer, the guy told me it's marketed by a company (don't remember the name).

So they list the country of origin as the manufacturer. And they than list the marketer as the manufacturer?
    It's kinda weird and not a behavior I trust in a gun dealer. He was acting as if it was a crappy shameful manufacturer. So shameful that he couldn't bring himself to tell me who it is.

I just had a bad feeling about it and I'll just buy the 14.5 inch barreled one from CanadaAmmo.
    Last edited by PepeLapiu; 08-08-2015 at 02:37 AM.

Furthermore the other gun is a 100$ more expensive than the CanadaAmmo one. Add shipping to that as CanadaAmmo ships for free.
    I wouldn't mind paying the little extra for a gun I want configured the way I want. But that manufacturer thing just was a deal breaker for me. Not feeling they are trust worthy is all.
    Last edited by CanAm; 08-08-2015 at 12:19 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast