Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DA556 Not extracting

Quote Originally Posted by livewire0129 View Post
    My Polytech CQ has that problem with steel cased ammo. 1500 rounds of brass cased were flawless, then I switched to steel cased, and am getting Failure to Extract. I suspect a dirty chamber. It's soaking in CLP right now.
    I had the exact same problem with the exact same rifle. I believe it is a blow back problem from steel not expanding. I run brass every 10 rounds to clean the gunk from the chamber. Tulammo does not play well with my rifle. Check this thread steel vs brass http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/
    Last edited by Firehoser; 08-09-2015 at 12:03 AM.
    "Said I didn't have much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it"
    Tom Sellek - Quigley Down Under
    Member: CSSA, OFAH, GBHA, ORA,

Hate to slide in here on this thread, but any info would help. I have a Norinco CQA 10.5" and exact same thing. Got it out to the range two weeks ago and every other round (sometimes every round) it would fire, cycle but spent brass wouldn't eject and it would attempt to feed the next round. The spent cartridge would end up either fighting with the live one to get chambered, or the worst jam was spent brass ended up crammed between the bolt and upper receiver, and that requires tools to remedy.
    It was thoroughly cleaned and inspected prior to use, so i have no idea what caused it. I used both Federal .233 and Norinco 5.56 bulk, same issues. Tried a ton of different mags too, same result. I have since double and triple cleaned/examined everything, so hopefully it works next time i get it out.
    For those who suggested o rings around the extractor spring, where do you purchase them, what are they called?
    Thanks everyone.

There are plenty of site sponsors. I believe they are called "extractor upgrade kits" or something.
    Last edited by CanAm; 08-09-2015 at 03:38 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer RobertMcC's Avatar
    I fixed so many Norc/DA extractors using extractor buffers...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer drifter dave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus23 View Post
    Hate to slide in here on this thread, but any info would help. I have a Norinco CQA 10.5" and exact same thing. Got it out to the range two weeks ago and every other round (sometimes every round) it would fire, cycle but spent brass wouldn't eject and it would attempt to feed the next round. The spent cartridge would end up either fighting with the live one to get chambered, or the worst jam was spent brass ended up crammed between the bolt and upper receiver, and that requires tools to remedy.
    It was thoroughly cleaned and inspected prior to use, so i have no idea what caused it. I used both Federal .233 and Norinco 5.56 bulk, same issues. Tried a ton of different mags too, same result. I have since double and triple cleaned/examined everything, so hopefully it works next time i get it out.
    For those who suggested o rings around the extractor spring, where do you purchase them, what are they called?
    Thanks everyone.

I bought both as I figured I might as well replace the whole Chinese extractor at the same time. Instant fix.
    Last edited by CanAm; 08-10-2015 at 01:42 PM.
    G96 smells awesome.
    Member, CSSA & CCFR.

Quote Originally Posted by Firehoser View Post
    I had the exact same problem with the exact same rifle. I believe it is a blow back problem from steel not expanding. I run brass every 10 rounds to clean the gunk from the chamber. Tulammo does not play well with my rifle. Check this thread steel vs brass http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/
    Thanks for the link. Surprise surprise, tula is the steel cased stuff I'm having trouble with. According to the article, the fast-burning tula powder combined with a slightly smaller gas port on the rifle may be a contributing factor with my issue.

I still suspect a dirty/corroded chamber throat. I was not always diligent about cleaning my rifle after range trips, and the norinco brass cased 1990's production 5.56 may have been mildly corrosive. There is nothing wrong with my extractor. Sometimes, the rim of stuck cases would be ripped off. Other times, I was unable to extact a case even by mortar-clearing. I spent some time yesterday with a power drill, cleaning rods, ar15 chamber brush, solvent, and a bore snake, and now its definately cleaner, but when i test extraction with spent cases, it's still sticking. Its back soaking in clp. I'll try cleaning it again in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire0129 View Post
    Thanks for the link. Surprise surprise, tula is the steel cased stuff I'm having trouble with. According to the article, the fast-burning tula powder combined with a slightly smaller gas port on the rifle may be a contributing factor with my issue.

I still suspect a dirty/corroded chamber throat. I was not always diligent about cleaning my rifle after range trips, and the norinco brass cased 1990's production 5.56 may have been mildly corrosive. There is nothing wrong with my extractor. Sometimes, the rim of stuck cases would be ripped off. Other times, I was unable to extact a case even by mortar-clearing. I spent some time yesterday with a power drill, cleaning rods, ar15 chamber brush, solvent, and a bore snake, and now its definately cleaner, but when i test extraction with spent cases, it's still sticking. Its back soaking in clp. I'll try cleaning it again in a few days.
    Norinco surplus ammo is harder brass than more modern stuff so it may occasionally behave like steel by not contracting enough. No powder fast burn issues though. The steel expands but does not contract like brass. I guess it is really a contraction problem. When the rifle is hot and the residue builds in the chamber it causes hard jams. If you have problems with cycling and the bolt not holding open after last round that is the fast burning powder issue. The powder burns fast on Tulammo causing substantial chamber pressure but the pressure drops 10-20 percent faster than other ammo. Not all rifles are susceptible because it depends on the diameter of the gas port on the barrel. Colt, Norinco, DA, Polytechnic and I am sure a few others have smaller ports. DPMS for example has a larger port on the barrel and the Tulammo steel cycles normally.
    Last edited by Firehoser; 08-10-2015 at 11:48 AM.
    "Said I didn't have much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it"
    Tom Sellek - Quigley Down Under
    Member: CSSA, OFAH, GBHA, ORA,

CGN Regular
    Can anyone get me some accurate measurements of a Norinco extractor vs a "mil spec" extractor?

CGN frequent flyer boss351cleveland's Avatar
    Whenever i see someone at the range with a AR having issues 8 times outa 10 their castle nut is coming loose , They put on a single point sling mount tightened the nut and never staked it , they will work loose even a bit and cause malfunctions .

I own a DA556 as well. I fed all kinds of crap ammo to it and it has functioned flawlessly so far.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast