Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DA556 Not extracting

CGN Regular

DA556 Not extracting

Hey Folks, purchased a DA 556 from you, and almost every shot it fails to extract. Have to pop a cleaning rod down into the barrel and pop the empty case out...

I've probably only put 20 rounds through it and about 18/20 have failed to extract.

Any thoughts...?

CGN Regular
    Is the bolt moving? Or is it not getting enough gas?

I've seen quite a few DA's arrive with paper plugging the end of the gas tube which would explain under gassing.

plus 1 for the paper plugging the gas tube

other thing to do if you havent already is clean the bore and chamber, DA and norinco often come extremely oily with a thick, almost greasy oil which could cause the shell to stick after it fires and expands in the chamber.

if the carrier cycles fine manually then its probably nothing to do with the buffer or buffer tube. only other thing i can think of would be A)check your extractor and make sure it looks alright and B) put some compressed air down the gas tube and see if anything comes out inside the bore, maybe theres some dried oil plugging the gas port
    “... and they who cried: “Appease, Appease!” are hanged by men they tried to please.”

CGN Regular
    If I take the bolt out and stick a shell against the bolt face it seems to hold fine, but as soon as I put the bolt in the chamber and into battery, it will not hold on to the empty shell even if I manually push the bolt up hard against the shell.

And most times when I shove a cleaning rod in the barrel it doesn't take much force at all to shove that empty cartridge out.

how do the fired shells look? any over pressure marks? cracks? are the primers backing out or flattening in the primer pocket?
    “... and they who cried: “Appease, Appease!” are hanged by men they tried to please.”

Mine didn't extract worth a damn either. I put one of those little rubber oring things under the extractor spring and it has had zero failures in 1400 rounds. Zero.

CGN Regular
    Shells look normal.

hmm, only other thing i can think, and this probably isnt it, but do you release the botl with the charging handle? if so do you ride it forward? if so dont, pull back and let it slam., i have seen many people new to semi autos (not saying you are) jam up their rifles because they baby the charging handle. try just using the bolt release on the side and then give the forward assist a good tap.

like i said i doubt thats it, i dont know your level of experience with firearms but i have seen many guys new to semis make this mistake so i just thought id throw that out there.

My Polytech CQ has that problem with steel cased ammo. 1500 rounds of brass cased were flawless, then I switched to steel cased, and am getting Failure to Extract. I suspect a dirty chamber. It's soaking in CLP right now.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerD View Post
    Mine didn't extract worth a damn either. I put one of those little rubber oring things under the extractor spring and it has had zero failures in 1400 rounds. Zero.
    Had to do this with mine also, and no issues since.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast