Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CZ SP-01 Shadow vs Tanfoglio ????

I have owned a sp01 and a stock 2. The tanfoglio has a bigger beaver tail and a larger magwell. I found the trigger reach shorter. I shoot a bit better with it then the sp01. However many people can shoot their sp01,better than I could shoot my tanfoglio

Quote Originally Posted by relliott View Post
    Both guns have their pluses and minuses.
    Main differences:
    Tanfoglio has checkering on front and back straps, but it it hit and miss, quality-wise. Checkering on a CNC machine shouldn't have run-overs, uneven lines, etc. and it offends me when they do, having checkers way too many 1911's by hand. CZ has a texture, but I wouldn't call it checkering. I have some coarse grip skate tape on mine and it's fantastic.
    Tafoglio has an adjustable rear sight. CZ is fixed though an adjustable factory option exists. The Tanfo adjustable is only great when you are adjusting load recipes. After that they tend to gain elevation as the screw walks out in recoil or the leaf pin breaks off and and the whole leaf flies away. Fixed sights require a lot of deliberate work to make them break. I've never seen one do so.
    Tanfoglio has a little larger mag well opening than the CZ.
    Tanfoglio beaver tail is a little larger than CZ and the bottom of the trigger guard is flatter. This may or may not matter to you in terms of ergonomics.
    Tanfoglio trigger is ok and can be made better, though not as good as CZ's. CZ triggers can be absolutely amazing. This is because the tanfoglio mainspring is much shorter so it stacks up quicker, leading to a feel of loading up as the trigger is stroked through the double action arc. The CZ mainspring is much longer and doesn't stack. In fact, the exact opposite; is lets off quicker. Tanfoglio gets around this with a lighter spring, but then you have intermittent light primer strikes.
    There is also more friction is the tanfoglio fire control setup. There is a huge drag surface on the trigger plunger which you can feel in the stroke. CZ solution to this is you use spring steel to loft the trigger stirrup, which reduces friction massively.
    Tanfo's have a nicer finish and are a little longer in the nose, giving more recoil dampening up front.

Design quirks:
    Tanfoglio safeties just suck in my opinion. The detent plunger that holds the left hand safety in place in the frame breaks off consistently because it is under designed. This is a pressed in part so when it breaks you need a new safety.
    CZ safeties are much more durable but a pain in the ass to remove and reinstall, until you do it a few time then it's no biggie. First time, do it inside a big zip-lock bag....

I've had several Tanfo's (not stocks) and worked on many dozens. I won't own another. I now have an SP01 Shadow that does everything I want it to do at a little over half the cost. I love it. There is an awful lot of value in those guns for the money.

Good luck with your selection. If you can, try them both and decide.

RE
    I would totally agree with Relliott. I've had both and would agree. The only thing that I could possibly add is the Tang has a better backstrap. I feel like I can ride the pistol higher up than the CZ. It will come down to a personal preference for you. The Tang has a heavier nose which dampens recoil, adjustable sight, better mag well, backstrap, checkering, beavertail, but loses out in the better CZ trigger, availability of parts, and better fibre optic sight on the CZ. You can't go wrong with either IMHO.

CGN frequent flyer
    I love my Stock and love my Match even more so. Match Trigger is by far one of the best factory triggers at that price range. I cannot shoot crap DA/SA but I think the Stock trigger is smooth albeit long. One huge advantage with Tanfoglio is that you can mod the piss out of it in production IPSC because Tanfoglio make all the extra addons where as CZ doesn't.

I had shoot both. If you have a smaller hand,you need a shadow.
    I LOVE HONEY

CGN frequent flyer Pistolwhiptricks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Happypillz View Post
    One huge advantage with Tanfoglio is that you can mod the piss out of it in production IPSC because Tanfoglio make all the extra addons where as CZ doesn't.
    Not sure where you got this idea from but CZ makes all of there own parts upgrades so it's a wash there.

Cz shadow or shadow line arent even made with real steel but some kind of material that wear within 1000 rounds and it is coated so when that wears out start to get loose...barrel wise.last no more that 25000/30000 rounds...i had 3 czsp01
    they very light compare to.tanfoglio...the only issue with tanfoglio is the pin safety that sometimes create some.lght strike
    with all do respect we talking about apple with oranges here....if u want to try to save some money i am with you Cz is the choice if you want o have a gun that last e few years and shoot some serious round then tanfo its your choice..
    Stock 2-3 also.have a huge difference no just the cost but the gun itself its the cost of the bull barrel is the cost of a cz...the gun is heavy with no recoil..and i am shooting 124 out of it with WST powder which is one of the faster powder out there....i am an also a big biy that love to overmuscle the gun...

Last edited by aragorn1; 08-18-2015 at 07:43 AM.

Freedom Ventures - CGN Sponsor Freedom Ventures's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HONEY View Post
    I had shoot both. If you have a smaller hand,you need a shadow.
    Which model / frame size of Tanfoglio did you have? (Large frame or small?) Just curious? Thanks.

Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/freedom.ventures.92
    Follow us on Instagram at https://instagram.com/freedom_ventures/

Please do not PM- email us at sales@freedomventures.ca

www.freedomventures.ca (902) 455-5483

Not sure if the Stock line of guns are similar to the Extreme line, I own CZ's and an Extreme, after buying a dozen firearms I have to say the Tanfoglio has the nicest most comfortable feel "in hand", I find the CZ stock grips have irritating "ridges". I can reach the safety on the Tanfoglio without repositioning hand after unholstering, not possible with the CZ.
    Last edited by aragorn1; 08-18-2015 at 08:13 AM.

CGN frequent flyer Pistolwhiptricks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn1 View Post
    I can reach the safety on the Tanfoglio without repositioning hand after unholstering, not possible with the CZ.
    This is a none issue if the OP is planning to shoot IPSC production division because your 1st shot must be in double action on a DA/SA pistol. The safety does not engage on a CZ with the hammer down. Not sure about the Tanfoglio but I would assume it is the same?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast