Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BOOM! DA50 back in stock

CGN Ultra frequent flyer wayupnorth's Avatar
    sorry, i was thrown by the AR lowers having smaller magwells and couldnt wrap my head around that.
    so you put a AR lower on it and then just hand feed it, using the AR lower as a firing mech only, ya?
    Things either are what they appear to be;
    or they neither are, nor appear to be;
    or they are, and do not appear to be;
    or they are not, and yet appear to be.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer wayupnorth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FirearmsEnthusiast View Post
    I love my DA50, and thanks to Ryan at Canada Ammo for his outstanding support and responses to my questions.

Based on the responses of some of the people at my club who shot mine last weekend, I think there will be more sales!

Reloading is a but of an adventure, to be sure...
    what did you mount yours on and how was the mounting?
    easy?
    gunsmith required?
    Things either are what they appear to be;
    or they neither are, nor appear to be;
    or they are, and do not appear to be;
    or they are not, and yet appear to be.

I'm still interested, but only when I can get a complete NR package. CanAmm still no season/year ETA on your lower?
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

CGN frequent flyer FirearmsEnthusiast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayupnorth View Post
    what did you mount yours on and how was the mounting?
    easy?
    gunsmith required?
    The DA50 mounts on a standard AR lower. I had a spare Windham lower lying around and installed a PRS stock (shooting a .50 with a collapsible stock didn't sound like a good idea to me!). I dropped a spare Vortex scope in a pair of Millett tactical high rings on it. Scope is a basic Crossfire II but has held up fine so far.

You essentially have to "dedicate" the lower as you remove the buffer and spring, buffer retaining pin and spring, and the bolt stop, and you replace the hammer and spring with a new, heavier set (included with the upper) to ignite those heavy .50 primers. The instructions are pretty sparse but easily done in 30 mins for anyone with basic AR build experience - and there are some YouTube videos that are good background.

So yes, the AR lower is basically a mount for the 30 lb upper and a firing mechanism. No mag feed - single shot.

Great way to get into the caliber for less than $2k plus glass to see what the .50 is all about without a big sunk cost.

I love the .50 so far and will start budgeting for an HS-50 or a PGW LRT-3 in the longer term...

I picked up an Ammomaster-2 press and die kit and handloading is a bit surreal with the powder charges involved!
    Last edited by FirearmsEnthusiast; 09-24-2015 at 11:50 PM.
    Are you saying I'm a "gun nut"? I prefer the term "Firearms Enthusiast"...

Quote Originally Posted by wayupnorth View Post
    sorry, i was thrown by the AR lowers having smaller magwells and couldnt wrap my head around that.
    so you put a AR lower on it and then just hand feed it, using the AR lower as a firing mech only, ya?
    Yes, correct.
    It becomes a single shot bolter.
    The AR lower supplies the trigger group and hammer.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer condomboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AbHobbyist View Post
    With out meaning to derail this thread, and with all serious intent.............

I really like the idea of an upper in 50 BMG!! However feeding it is no small investment!!

With that in mind, is there a chance that these uppers might come in something little more economical to feed like 338 Lapua ?

Serious inquiry, and if this was covered before please accept my apologies.

regards

AbH
    Just curious as I haven't seen any 'cheap' 338... Since 338 is a purpose built sniper round the cheapest I've seen is $110 a box of 20 ($5.50 ea) where as I see American Eagle or PMC or when CanAm Gets it in, IMI, a for $5 a round
    If you know how many guns you have... you don't have enough

@ condomboy

I will have to admit your greater knowledge when it comes to purchasing factory ammo.

However my skill set is quite refined when it comes to reloading ammo, especially precision fodder.

With the 338 Lapua, as long as its sturdy and well mounted, you can use conventional reloading presses, dies and tools to reload it.

Further, comparatively speaking, components are relatively common, less expensive, and the consumption of powder is at least half.

In my experience (and I have been reloading for over 20 years now) and under those circumstances reloading will save you 30-50% of the cost

depending how judicious you are in purchasing your components, and as long as you do not count your time.

50 BMG on the other hand is a whole different realm. You need much larger presses, dies, and reloading tools. Tooling up for it can cost a small fortune.

For example, to save time, and get a better quality job, I know of some individuals that trim their 50 bmg brass on mini or bench mounted lathe.

Further your components are harder to find, and many times double (or triple) the cost for a comparable projectiles and powders. Further most of the time your using at least 200 grains of powder per round.

So in that light, and in my opinion, the 338 is less expensive to run than a 50 bmg.

YMMV

regards

AbH

CGN frequent flyer
    The challenge here was to have a cheap .50 shooter, you can find .338 firearms for less than 1600$

Quote Originally Posted by Duff350 View Post
    The challenge here was to have a cheap .50 shooter, you can find .338 firearms for less than 1600$

Fair enough!!

regards

AbH

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 09outlander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by condomboy View Post
    Just curious as I haven't seen any 'cheap' 338... Since 338 is a purpose built sniper round the cheapest I've seen is $110 a box of 20 ($5.50 ea) where as I see American Eagle or PMC or when CanAm Gets it in, IMI, a for $5 a round
    S&B makes a decent 338LM round for $3.40/rd.
    Come for the guns, stay for the tinfoil
    Member: CSSA

Dunnville Hunters and Anglers, we are accepting new members
    www.dunnvillehuntersandanglers.ca

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast