Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anybody know what would make a good home defender hand gun ?

Get yourself a nice little .22 pistol/rifle (semi-auto rifle would be better due to mag restrictions and it's NR so you can just keep it in the corner with a quick combination trigger lock).

Anyone (including children) can easily handle it, shots are placed easier, and you won't go deaf ontop of already being blind in the dark.

However machetes, baseball bats, bayonets, box cutters, hammers, even tactical flashlights with pressure points (DNA collectors) can be just as effective as a gun when applied properly.

There's also pocket sand.

Last edited by SilverBaller; 08-26-2015 at 03:58 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer promac's Avatar
    Get an EagleTac T20C2 & a spear. Strobe em & stick em - that's my bylaw compliant coyote/coywolf defence plan.
    Warning: I am not a lawyer; any ideas, views, opinions or advice may be incorrect, incomplete or contain errors and omissions. Anything could seem like at good idea at any given moment. Readers should consult with their legal professionals before taking any action based on the information contained herein.

Used to be that we "Worldproofed" our children. Now society wants to childproof the world.

Quote Originally Posted by promac View Post
    Get an EagleTac T20C2 & a spear. Strobe em & stick em - that's my bylaw compliant coyote/coywolf defence plan.
    An excellent point! A 1000 lumen strobe will slow someone down pretty good. Then use whatever tool is handy to defend yourself. If it comes down to defending your life or the life of your family, I suppose a 12 gauge with 00-buck in it would be beneficial. That gives you a little more wiggle room for target placement. You WILL be deaf (temporarily) after the first round so comms are out after that. A good plan, understood by the whole family, is really good idea. That, of course, is your LAST resort. Defense in depth is always a good idea. You should have good exterior lighting, a monitored security system (on UPS), GOOD locks, steel or solid wood doors with reinforced frame, solid doors IN the house would be good too. A dog would be good, too(will get you an insurance discount). These are just a few ideas. Oh, and you may want to take self defense training as well. Nothing crazy, but some basic martial arts training for the family would be helpful. Just remember, a firearm should be your absolute worst case scenario last resort; not your first line of defense.
    If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign? - Einstein

CGN Regular
    in the hypothetical question of what i would use for home defense. It wouldn't be a handgun. I would use a shotgun, easier to aim and less likely to go through walls and hurt the wrong people.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SteelCap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaner154 View Post
    Hi,
    I live out on an acreage now and would like to buy a piece to keep in a safe in my bedroom for potential quick access. I am wondering a few things.
    1. what is a good little piece for a home defender?
    2. is there lower load rounds available from a store that would reduce the potential of a stray round blowing through all of the walls in the house? I have little ones so just trying to be as safe as possible.
    3. can anybody recommend an easy access safe, I mean one that I can open with fingerprint ID or something at 3 am half awake with sleep in my eyes.

Thank You in Advance!
    Paintball comes to mind. You also dont have to worry about 2, 3 or 4 as someone has suggested.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12