Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody know what would make a good home defender hand gun ?

Does anybody know what would make a good home defender hand gun ?

Hi,
    I live out on an acreage now and would like to buy a piece to keep in a safe in my bedroom for potential quick access. I am wondering a few things.
    1. what is a good little piece for a home defender?
    2. is there lower load rounds available from a store that would reduce the potential of a stray round blowing through all of the walls in the house? I have little ones so just trying to be as safe as possible.
    3. can anybody recommend an easy access safe, I mean one that I can open with fingerprint ID or something at 3 am half awake with sleep in my eyes.

Thank You in Advance!

Baseball bat leaning in the corner.
    “It is not inequality which is the real misfortune, it is dependence.”
    ― Voltaire

Barska makes a nice little fingerprint safe. I have one for keeping certain valuables - watches, etc.

Other than that, from the sounds of your post, you may want to add one more numbered point... 4) can anybody recommend a good firearms defense lawyer?

Just saying...
    Last edited by netguy1999; 08-25-2015 at 05:50 PM.
    If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign? - Einstein

FYI,
    You possibly just admitted to pre-mediated murder...
    Better Get yourself a big dog instead.
    Freedom is never free

Quote Originally Posted by Steel355 View Post
    FYI,
    You possibly just admitted to pre-mediated murder...
    Better Get yourself a big dog instead.
    Planning for a realistic self-defense response isn't pre-meditated murder, dude lol

Is having a fire escape plan pre-meditated arson?
    Remember the Alamo

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Maple Leaf Pilgrim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaner154 View Post
    Hi,
    I live out on an acreage now and would like to buy a piece to keep in a safe in my bedroom for potential quick access. I am wondering a few things.
    1. what is a good little piece for a home defender?
    2. is there lower load rounds available from a store that would reduce the potential of a stray round blowing through all of the walls in the house? I have little ones so just trying to be as safe as possible.
    3. can anybody recommend an easy access safe, I mean one that I can open with fingerprint ID or something at 3 am half awake with sleep in my eyes.

Thank You in Advance!
    First off, you have to understand that what you are asking about, should it in the off chance need to be used, may very well end the life of another human being. This is a big thing. If you can't wrap your head around that, perhaps don't entertain the idea.

1). I (and many others on this board) will suggest you try to fire a wide number of pistols and see what one(s) work best for you.

2). Pistol rounds actually penetrate walls more effectively than 5.56 NATO. Here you have some things to think about.

i). What makes you think that they (if equipped with firearms) will give a damn about where their rounds are going?

ii). Do you think that maybe it's just best to train so that your rounds are more likely to hit the X-ray than go astray?

3). That's an excellent question, I defer to the other, more knowledgeable members of this board.

I would recommend that before you even think about making such a set up ready, that all those who would use it be thoroughly familiar with the tools to be used, the procedures, plans and responses to conditions in the scenario. Remember, professionals are predictable, amateurs are dangerous. In the case of a home invasion scenario, you really want to know what your fellow defenders are going to do as well as being able to figure out what the invaders are doing. To this end, I would recommend taking courses, and not just take a basic course and call it good. You want to spend a lot of time and money on solid training to win the fight.

-S.

Non restricted are to be used for home defense, much less headache after you go through that terrifying ordeal of someone attacking your family

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knottybuoy View Post
    Planning for a realistic self-defense response isn't pre-meditated murder, dude lol

Is having a fire escape plan pre-meditated arson?
    Depends if you lit the fire or not.....
    Dog is safer and less likely to result in five years for an unsafe storage conviction.
    Tight Groups,
    Rob
    Last edited by FLHTCUI; 08-26-2015 at 09:28 AM.
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

The best gun for home defense is the one in the responding LEO's hand. Even if you become proficient using your gun at the range you still don't have the hours and hours of crisis response/management training you would need to insure your family is safe. Just remember if you pull a gun on an assailant (assuming they are not armed themselves) intending to scare them off chances are you will not be prepared to actually fire it. The assailant will just end up taking it away from you and possibly using it on you and/or your family.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoShooter View Post
    Non restricted are to be used for home defense, much less headache after you go through that terrifying ordeal of someone attacking your family
    This doesn't make sens at all.

There is no way in hell you will be in less trouble for having shot someone with a NR or a restricted.

For the OP

Personally I'd get a safe with a mechanical lock rather than digital... less stuff to fail when time http://www.deansafe.com/fort-knox-pe...stol-safe.html

Quick acces, keep a couple mags beside the pistol.

For the pistol choice, it is very unique to each person. Get the one that feel best for you. Also get something with night sight at minimum...
    Fact: in 100% of the fake guns related shootings the victims is always the one with the fake gun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast