Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elimination of Day Pass

Elimination of Day Pass

So just noticed on your website that there will be no more drop in's for licenced visitors? Now you have to do an Associate Membership and pay day rates on top of that? Just curious as to the rational for this change?

http://www.targetsportscanada.com/licensed-visitors

Curious this comes into effect right as we all get our ATT restricitons loosened. Is this to preempt your facility getting overloaded?
    Member OFAH, CSSA

I'm a full member but that sounds fairly reasonable to me. It costs the range money to operate, and this gives them some revenue without it being a heavy burden for occasional shooters. Plus eliminates any potential problems with outsiders who are not familiar with Target's rules and safety procedures.

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Target Sports is primarily a membership based facility.

We have been monitoring types of use and associated issues for quite some time and we think it is our best interests to ensure all users that are not under DIRECT supervision (such as on our familiarization drop in) have had our Facility Orientation and Safety Seminar (takes about 3 hours). Which is why we will have the "Associate Membership". It will ensure consistency with non supervised, licensed users.

Also, Target Sports is already a busy facility and after having just spent over $600k on renovations, I want to keep it operating with the least amount of damage and drama. In our experience, non-members have shown more of an attitude of disobedience and indifference with our policies and procedures, so we are going to, again, try to mitigate the issues by having everyone have the same minimum training.

Finally, membership needs to have its perks or there would be no reason the join a club. We need policies in place that promote membership and value. Again, by limiting the number of random users, we leave lanes for the membership.

I have crunched the numbers and from our perspective, limiting use for unsupervised licensed shooters to members (full and associate) and their guests is a clear choice.

I know it will piss off some people, but this is how Target Sports Canada is going to proceed in the post C-42 world.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

Will there be dates added to the course schedule to reflect this?

the “Associate Membership” is a good alternative

Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post

We have been monitoring types of use and associated issues for quite some time and we think it is our best interests to ensure all users that are not under DIRECT supervision (such as on our familiarization drop in) have had our Facility Orientation and Safety Seminar (takes about 3 hours). Which is why we will have the "Associate Membership". It will ensure consistency with non supervised, licensed users.

Also, Target Sports is already a busy facility and after having just spent over $600k on renovations, I want to keep it operating with the least amount of damage and drama. In our experience, non-members have shown more of an attitude of disobedience and indifference with our policies and procedures, so we are going to, again, try to mitigate the issues by having everyone have the same minimum training.

Finally, membership needs to have its perks or there would be no reason the join a club. We need policies in place that promote membership and value. Again, by limiting the number of random users, we leave lanes for the membership.

I have crunched the numbers and from our perspective, limiting use for unsupervised licensed shooters to members (full and associate) and their guests is a clear choice.

I know it will piss off some people, but this is how Target Sports Canada is going to proceed in the post C-42 world.

JR
    Thanks for a reasoned and prompt response. I know Target Sports sometimes gets a reputation about bringing in less knowledgeable shooters. Other ranges with drop-in policies like Silverdale get the same problems. Also, you are definitely a busy place, I had to wait 2 hours for a lane last time I was there.

I hope the membership change helps you keep a safe and well run facility operating. Its too bad it removes the casual option for some GTA shooters. I primarily shoot at an outdoor range but 2 or 3 times a year in the dead of winter, it's nice to have an indoor range close by as an option. I'm on the fence as to whether I'd eat the cost of an associate membership for very occasional use, especially without any weekend access.

And agreed, membership has to have its perks
    Member OFAH, CSSA

Quote Originally Posted by boren93 View Post
    Will there be dates added to the course schedule to reflect this?
    Yes. It is our intention, once we get caught up with the backlog of the club changeover that we can offer the seminar on an "as needed" schedule: Basically, if we have a spare RO, they can do it....
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

I like this approach. It should be easier to get a lane on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownGuy View Post
    I like this approach. It should be easier to get a lane on the weekends.
    Yes. Especially once we put the new dividers and retrievers in. This should be happening the first or second week of October.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post

JR
    Any chance you're thinking of a stronger discount in the day pass? Or monthly membership payments even? Target has a lot to offer as a range but is also lacking in a lot of areas i.e. action shooting. The main reason I haven't payed for a membership is the lack of shooting games. IDPA or IPSC.

The main draw has always been for bringing newbies cause it's a very safe structured range.

$125+hst + 35+HST per visit and no weekends is sort of extreme IMO. It was great to pay $42 a day once a month or so.

But thanks for the well-written and quick response

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast