Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Canadian Binary Targets: KA-BOOM vs. Gryphon Energetics Slow Mo Comparison

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Segue2002 View Post
    There are good arguments on both sides of this issue. I've read over the explosives act pretty closely today to try to understand the legality of putting multiple targets together. Personally I don't want to promote anything this close to the line so it's been removed. My advice is to follow any instructions on the labels, and maybe familiarize yourself with the explosives act if you plan to use these targets as well.

Be safe
    I hope you'll consider re-uploading the first part of the video. It looks like you put a lot of time and effort into it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ShawnC6's Avatar
    Yeah just snip the end off the video and re upload.

It's been fixed to just showcase the two products

Roughly 2/3rds down the page
    http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/explosives/acts-regulations/9841

"Q. What activities are considered to be manufacturing?
    Manufacturing covers the making or manufacturing of explosive substances and articles from components, altering or remaking an explosive, unmaking an explosive by any manner (including destroying), packaging, and explosives testing."

I took a screenshot but am not clever enough to post it here, sorry.

CGN Regular
    Great vid .. well done for the most part.

A few comments;

a) you can NOT legally store them under your bed or in your dwelling!! There are storage and marking requirements for users. May want to exclude that comment from next vid!!

b) The explosives act/reg's don't restricted, nor does ERD mandate, the the amount of binary explosives that can be set off at once. I have that in an email from ERD. If you so wish to strap a few pounds together, I find duck tape works amazingly well!! I would suggest keeping it to a reasonable minimum.

c) Unfortunately the suppliers/manufacturers play the card that they do not have to provide an MSDS for these components, for they are explosives ... which is extremely lame for excuse ... guess they don't give a bean about due diligence .. for most of the large ammunition manufacturer's have MSDS's online for everyday ammo .. which are explosives. The ammonium nitrate has no real big surprises, however the aluminium oxide (powder) has some precautions one may wish to make themselves aware of ... only handle in well ventilated areas.

I've tried out several brands, and all work pretty much the same in my opinion ... kinda like ammo .. and i love them both!!

Cheers
    Last edited by explorin2; 10-20-2015 at 08:36 PM.

might want to post that letter so no one gets in trouble though.
    Strapping them together isn't altering the explosive, but dumping more than one into another container or dividing one up is by the definition provided "manufacturing" for which you can get in a lot of trouble.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    might want to post that letter so no one gets in trouble though.
    Strapping them together isn't altering the explosive, but dumping more than one into another container or dividing one up is by the definition provided "manufacturing" for which you can get in a lot of trouble.

Part of the email:

1) 1 pound maximum – every explosive that comes into Canada is authorised by the Explosives Regulatory Division (ERD). The 1 pound maximum is what has been set by the ERD in order to authorise these targets to be brought into Canada. So instead of having to authorise several different sizes of targets, the 1 pound maximum means that importers/manufactures are allowed to bring/make targets up to a maximum of 1 lb. ERD uses the same criteria for all the manufacturers.

We don’t become involved in the actual ‘use’ of the targets. However, we do specify that once the components from the multi-ingredient kits for type S.2 explosives (eg. exploding targets) have been mixed, the storage of these mixed components is not permitted.

Explosives Inspector
    Explosives Regulatory Divison – Western Region
    #214 - 755 Lake Bonavista Drive SE Calgary, AB T2J 0N3
    Off: 403-292-XXXX, Fax/Telecopieur: 403-292-XXXX

I won't post the whole email for there were other topics discussed not relevant to this post, nor will I provide the name. When I inquired about who may be responsible for the "use" they were not able to provide and definite response, but suggested the local fire marshal. I live in rural SK on acreage and the local fire department is volunteer, meaning they would little authority on the matter for my use.

In speaking with a Department of Natural Resources (DNR) enforcement officer local to my area, regarding shooting on crown land, she had some interesting comments, such as;
    - Setting these off on water (rivers/lakes) could result in charge for releasing a substance into a water way.
    - Destruction of vegetation and littering are also possible charges.
    - Destruction of buildings etc. such as blowing out windows from the blast, if not your own property, can result in charges.
    - The same rules regarding discharging firearms apply with regards to distances from highways and buildings.
    - Blowing up beaver dams without a permit is also not permitted.
    - For crown land that is rented/leased by someone, other than you, for grassing cows or something, like a farmer, you must have written permission from the renter to use these on that land.
    - They can't be used on crown land during fire bans. Some US states have blamed a lot of forest fires on this product and I believe one or two states has completely banned them now.

Local RCMP didn't return my call on the topic and I didn't pursue. However noise complaints, such as with firearms, I imagine could result in disturbing the peace charges, or similar.

In watching numerous YouTube vids and reading newspaper articles mostly generated in the US a few comments;
    - Setting off in gravel pits can be hazardous, due to rocks and debris hitting people.
    - People have actually died from flying debris from these, and the charge didn't have to be that big ... wrong place and wrong time thing!!
    - The best one I read was the guy who loaded up the box of an old dump truck and took it to the bush and set off. He had something like 200 lbs. pounds and seems he put the nearby nuclear facility in lock down or shut down, due to the shock wave. A local police office was nearby as well, and they weren't impressed. The fellow ended up with a few felony charges, and after the fact admitted it was DUMB idea!! They really didn't like the idea of blowing up the truck...

I do find it a bit confusion that NRCAN website clear states binary targets are considered explosives, even when unmixed. What I find odd is that ERD doesn't issue a UN number for these, for the explosives act/reg clearly states the Chief Inspector of Explosive shall issue an UN number for each approved explosive. The reasoning from the Chief Inspector was they are not an explosive till mixed, and when mixed can't be transported. Transport Canada basically treats them as separate components. Consumers Affairs will have nothing to say for they are considered an explosive by NRCAN, and are therefore exempt from consumer protection in a nut shell.

My opinion, setting these off in eye or ear distance of someone who disapproves is what may get you a visit from an enforcement officer. Otherwise no one really cares or knows, maybe just jealous. It's about being safe and responsible, monkey see monkey do, with them and should the day come I do get a visit for setting off on my property I want to be able to explain my situation, and hopefully have the officer drive away with me saying "have a good day officer".

Below is the link to ERD division with contact info, please feel to ask the question directly. I'm sure they will be more than happy to assist.

Headquarters:

580 Booth Street, 10th Floor
    Ottawa (ON) K1A 0E4
    Tel: 613-948-5200
    Fax: 613-948-5195
    ERDmms@nrcan.gc.ca

Pacific Region: British Columbia and Yukon

1500 - 605 Robson St.
    Vancouver (BC) V6B 5J3
    Tel: 604-666-0366
    Fax: 604-666-0399
    ERDpacific@nrcan.gc.ca