Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Follower type I vs II vs III

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BeaverMeat's Avatar

Follower type I vs II vs III

What are the advatages and disadvantages of each type? Is there any reduction in mag capacity? If so, which model has the least? Which type will work best for mag extentions?

Thanks
    "There's a big ... machine in the sky, ... some kind of electric snake ... coming straight at us."
    "Shoot it," said my attorney.
    "Not yet," I said. "I want to study its habits.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverMeat View Post
    What are the advatages and disadvantages of each type? Is there any reduction in mag capacity? If so, which model has the least? Which type will work best for mag extentions?

Thanks
    Type 1 and 2 are the same other then the type 2 had a large hole in the center of the face where the type 1 has raised nib in the center, this is based on feedback from our police and Mil customers over the years, while in low light the Lime green helps you to see that the tube in empty, in no like condition, the client will feel the follower to see if the tube is empty " if they feel a need to do that"
    Some clients felt the type one was what they wanted and some felt the type 2, was a better ideas due to there was no way it felt like a the back of a shotgun shell.

Type 1,2 both have the shaft on the back, this aids in long mag springs when the spring starts to compress, the coils try to bind up on themselfs, when you have 4,5 coils wrapped around the shaft and this starts to happen, the added stiffness of the shaft having those coils wrapped around, acts like a guide rod to keep the spring straight.
    over the years we have changed the length of the shaft to aid in making sure that the type1,2 does not lower the round count then used with most shotguns.
    This is why we say if you are using just a 4.5 shot shotgun, then the type 3 is all you need.
    As we machine these on CNC we have added chamfers and rads that can,t be added if you molded this follower.
    The follower is solid Dupont Delrin, which is a type of Teflon impregnated plastic, and very exspensive!!
    The Lime green is also a custom color for S&J hardware.

Type 3 follower

The type 3 is an improved standard cup type follower, this is ideal for hunting guns and also SBS type set ups, we also do have people that a re trying to get every inch out of there mag tubes for competition, so they want the short follower. Again you run the chance of spring binding, but ! we have also fixed that.
    Our S&J Long life mag spring has wider coils so the OD of the spring is closer to the ID of the mag tube.
    This is a MAJOR ISSUE with Remington shotguns, the factory spring, while stiffer, is undersized for the mag tub, so while this is not a problem for 4/5 shot models, it is an issue for 7,8.910+ mag tubes.
    Remington knows this, but have not changed the specs on there mag spring in 50yrs.
    Our long life mag spring has been lab tested to last 600,000 cycle at 85% load, one hell of a spring for just $10cdn

Last thing.

All followers, inc our 20ga rem 870 have the slots in the side, so you can use then on gun that have mag tube dedents, while we the first to do this more then 10yrs a go, everyone is starting to work out that it is a good idea...

Using our follower in you mag tubes means you will not have to use any lube to make sure your metal or hard plastic molded follower will not get stuck when its cold and frozen or hot and sandy.
    Hope this info helps

S&J

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BeaverMeat's Avatar
    Thanks for the wealth of knowlage
    "There's a big ... machine in the sky, ... some kind of electric snake ... coming straight at us."
    "Shoot it," said my attorney.
    "Not yet," I said. "I want to study its habits.

We just ran another 7000 followers this week.
    price of the raw material had jumped up 50% with inflation and the us dollar

CGN Regular
    Thanks for the infos Simon!

While we are on the subject, do you make followers and springs compatible with an old winchester 2200?

Also, do you have a compatible +2 magazine extension for the 2200 (I'm having the 30" barrel cut down to 18.5 and want to replicate the look of the old school defender shotgun with the magazine flush to the barrel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gunnuts View Post
    Thanks for the infos Simon!

While we are on the subject, do you make followers and springs compatible with an old winchester 2200?

Also, do you have a compatible +2 magazine extension for the 2200 (I'm having the 30" barrel cut down to 18.5 and want to replicate the look of the old school defender shotgun with the magazine flush to the barrel.

Thanks
    we have found that the type 3 seems to work with just about every 12ga other then ithiaca.

as for Winchester mag tubes,much like all things Winchester shotguns, there is very very little market for it, that said we mag at some point make some for the Winchester 12-1300 guns, but nothing planed anytime soon

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by badboybeeson View Post
    we have found that the type 3 seems to work with just about every 12ga other then ithiaca.

as for Winchester mag tubes,much like all things Winchester shotguns, there is very very little market for it, that said we mag at some point make some for the Winchester 12-1300 guns, but nothing planed anytime soon
    Too bad the mag extension does not fit the 1200, I would have grabbed one with the black friday sale. I might get a follower for it though!
    Thank you

Sorry to hijack the thread but is there a guide to how short I should cut the mag spring? Just received my 14" bbl for the 870 with the +1 extension and long long spring, just need to know where to cut it. Thanks.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Sambaru View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread but is there a guide to how short I should cut the mag spring? Just received my 14" bbl for the 870 with the +1 extension and long long spring, just need to know where to cut it. Thanks.

Sam
    sam if you have a factory 4 shot in you gun already you mag not need to use the new spring, unless it old . the spring that comes with the +1 is very long, as many people use the +1 for the new fixed 6 shot 870 tactical.
    go about 3-4 inch passed the end of the mag tube an cut.
    you should make sure when the gun is loaded with shells that you have aprox 1/2 shell of room left when loaded, this will allow for different shell lengths.
    if not, the cut a bit more off, cut end to the end of the mag tube not the follower

Thanks a lot, Simon. I will start with +4" from the mag tube and trim from there. I am doing the opposite.. going from 18.5" 6 round tube (the old style 4 + 2) and reducing to a 14" +1. Thanks again!

Sam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast