Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: M1000 12ga 26" Semi-auto Shotgun

M1000 12ga 26" Semi-auto Shotgun

Hey y'all!

I figured I owe the world a post, since there is so very little information on these guns!

Unboxing:
    The shotgun's are well packaged in fitted styrofoam, within a basic cardboard box. As per usual, the Norinco's were dripping in oil, but rust free. All pieces were accounted for and appeared to be in good condition.

Barrel:

Barrel - Blued, looks nice. Swells near the choke end slightly. I had significant issues removing the choke with 2 of the 3 M1000s I ordered. Best remedy was penetrating lube, a vice (with the barrel wrapped in leather), the supplied choke wrench, and a 10 inch pipe wrench around the choke wrench. Even then, it didn't really want to come out.

Once removed, I cleaned the bajesus out of the threads on both the choke and the barrel, loaded them up with grease, and took the choke in and out about 30 times. Things move better now, but it's still pretty tight. (loose enough that I can now remove it in the field)

The top rail looks glued on, but rest assured, it's definitely solder'd on. While attempting to remove the choke I applied some liberal heat, and noticed some solder coming out near the bead sight.

Stock:
    Not much to say. Typical Norinco finish, brown brown brown over the Chu wood stock.

Magazines:

They work, but they are crude. They fit well into the shotgun, and seem to function fine. The tabs on the bottom are worrisome. Looks like I might have to tape the bottom on at some point in the future.

Action/Receiver:

I was actually impressed here. Thinks are a little rough, but with some mild steel wool you can polish things up and make the action slip like butter. The photos are of the unaltered and original firearm. The trigger is just awesome on these shotguns. Short, and breaks very crisply. I actually prefer this m1000 trigger to the trigger on my SXP and Grizzly.

Thoughts:
    Very happy with the purchases. We went and tried them out briefly, right out of the box. One functioned 100% perfectly, another had periodic failure to eject. The 3rd remained in box for the first test. My guess, is the shotgun just needed a good cleaning, a little polishing, and some lube. I'll be bringing them out again this weekend to do a 2nd round now that they've been polished up. Hopefully I'll see a marked improvement. I'll be sure to post the results.

Photo of the whole Shotgun:

Value: 9/10 - Much like a Mosin Nagant and the SKS, for the cost, these guns are golden.
    Quality: 5/10 - Out of the box, there is much to left to desire. After some cleaning and polishing, they should function perfectly.

Final verdict: At the current sale price from Canada Ammo, I'm tempted to buy another three. For the cost, and the functionality, I don't think you can go wrong.

Nice post Jify! I would agree, at that price a little finagling would be expected.

CGN Regular
    Are the barrels for these proprietary or are they interchangeable with anything else?

Best I can tell, it's an Beretta A300 knock off. Don't think they are interchangeable with anything I've come across..

Very nice writeup. If CanAm hadn't bought the whole run from an R&D facility, I'd be really tempted to get one. The lack of replacement parts or magazines has me a little worried... although for $260 it is VERY tempting
    Anyone doing any Long-Range, Pistol, or Action-Shooting in or around the Elk Valley/Crowsnest Pass? I'd love to tag along, send me a PM

You had better luck than I did, the first m1000 I got had such poor bluing on the barrel that can-am replaced it, the 2nd barrel would not allow the firing pin the strike the primer and the third would fire but would not cycle. I gave up at that point and found a used Remington 1100 for $60 more, so glad I did

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Johnyy's Avatar
    With the semi & it taking magazines, thought about to make it something like the mag fed grizzly 18.5 pump, but would be neat having a semi mag fed 12 gauge! Wondered if shortening to 18.5 - 20 inch & if any pistol gripped full size stock would fit. Would shortening it mess around with how these cycle?

Quote Originally Posted by Semiauto View Post
    You had better luck than I did, the first m1000 I got had such poor bluing on the barrel that can-am replaced it, the 2nd barrel would not allow the firing pin the strike the primer and the third would fire but would not cycle. I gave up at that point and found a used Remington 1100 for $60 more, so glad I did
    Yikes! Definitely had better luck than that. Taking 2 of the polished ones out tomorrow to test out! I'll report back after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyy View Post
    With the semi & it taking magazines, thought about to make it something like the mag fed grizzly 18.5 pump, but would be neat having a semi mag fed 12 gauge! Wondered if shortening to 18.5 - 20 inch & if any pistol gripped full size stock would fit. Would shortening it mess around with how these cycle?
    I'd assume so, it would probably impact how much gas is returned to slap the piston back. But even then, you might be fine. Only one way to find out...

I received one of these for free with a purchase i made at christmas a couple years ago and i have NEVER had an issue with it i mean it sounds like a machine gun when i use it as fast as i can pull the trigger this thing cycles and sends hot lead in the right direction everything is rough it is loose everywhere it rattles like a baby toy but has never failed i never cleaned mine i abuse it actually becasue the priceis right and it has never let me down . Again it is like a 3 on the fit and finish scale but functionality its a 10 and for the price i am not complaining at all/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast