Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "You owe me a box of shells!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    We need to hear this story.
    Clay can confirm, but the gist of the story was that an individual bought a scope and ammo, had the scope mounted and bore sighted, went to the range and started blasting away at 100 yards right away and didn't start at 25 or even 50. Came back to the store and complained about the lousy bore sight job and wanted a box of shells in compensation for the box he had to use to get the rifle on paper.

By that logic PRF owes me $2.94 for the cost of my reloads (or maybe a .300WinMag neck resizer :P)

I might add that I've never been charged for a mount & bore sight by Prophet, this would be the third or fourth scope I've bought from them and had mounted as well....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnaby's Avatar
    ^Stupid as stupid does.

PR service has been great. Don't know how their hand holding service is as I've never asked for it.

Did you hear Walker family is suing Porsche cause their lousy cars does not perform well at 90mph in the city.
    Revolvers RULE; remember that next time you BEND over to pick up brass OR ejected brass pings off the precision gear.
    Looking for a car pool buddy for weekly weekday trips from Burnaby to POCO. Better yet I'll drive weekly and you take me hunting.

Some people...

I had a very good experience with PR, I ordered an item, they emailed me right away saying they may not have it and it was an error on their part and would try looking for item, item wasn't found, they offered a variant of the item which I got, they sent it out right away and when it arrived it came with a bonus rifle sock. Their service was excellent. I will definitely keep them in mind for future purchases.

CGN frequent flyer Northern Amateur's Avatar
    Don't recall ever hitting a standard size sheet of paper at a hundred yards first time shooting a scoped rifle; bore sighted or not. I too start at 25yrds using a 4'x4' sheet of backer board (yes, 4 feet by 4 feet). Ain't screwing around anymore. I want to know where the bullet hits the first time Depending on the rifle and cartridge, there can also be a significant difference between 25yrds and 100yrds hence working your way up in stages.
    Some people may want to consider another sport!

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Amateur View Post
    Don't recall ever hitting a standard size sheet of paper at a hundred yards first time shooting a scoped rifle; bore sighted or not. I too start at 25yrds using a 4'x4' sheet of backer board (yes, 4 feet by 4 feet). Ain't screwing around anymore. I want to know where the bullet hits the first time Depending on the rifle and cartridge, there can also be a significant difference between 25yrds and 100yrds hence working your way up in stages.
    I was watching a guy sight in at the range ~ a month ago (leading up to hunting season), he put an entire box of shells into the berm 2 feet below his 6" circle target at 50 yards trying to get it on paper. I tried to kindly tell him he was way low (and that maybe 25 yards would be a better start), but he cut me off with a snarky response, so I left him be. When I left he had put at least another 5 boxes downrange and was still drilling the berm.

Bore sighted or not, I usually start at 50 yards with a piece of bristle board. I normally will fire 5 rounds at that distance, if it's required. First one is dead center, on a 1" or 2" shoot-n-c. Over the years I've had the odd one that was within an inch or so. I then will shoot the corners. Top left, bottom left, top right, bottom right. If I'm still not on at that point, I move to 25, just to see where it is, but most times this is cause to rethink/start over. If I'm out by that much at 50, even if I get it on target, there's a good chance that I'm running out of windage/elevation for future adjustments.

BTW: I find the neon green bristle board works really nice, shows the holes real good at a distance, and you can use green masking/painters tape to patch the holes, as it's a pretty close match in color

A bolt action rifle should easily hit a 8x11.5" paper at 50m on decent equipment setup correctly fired by an experienced shooter. At 100m several inch drop max for centerfire. More for 22lr.
    Need to bore sight for semis or anything that can't look down the barrel.
    Most folks are clueless to the physics/math of scopes/rifle and ballistics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Amateur View Post
    Revolvers RULE; remember that next time you BEND over to pick up brass OR ejected brass pings off the precision gear.
    Looking for a car pool buddy for weekly weekday trips from Burnaby to POCO. Better yet I'll drive weekly and you take me hunting.

Luv the folks that shot themselves off paper with total ignorance of scope adjustments (POA vs POI), then b!tch and complain about everything but their own stupidity.

Bolt action with view down bore is easy.
    Semis not on paper the advice is to shoot at the dirt at 50m to see what part of the hemisphere is POI. Majority of problem is users spinning the adj without a clue.

3 shots is all that is need when done correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo911_ View Post
    I was watching a guy sight in at the range ~ a month ago (leading up to hunting season), he put an entire box of shells into the berm 2 feet below his 6" circle target at 50 yards trying to get it on paper. I tried to kindly tell him he was way low (and that maybe 25 yards would be a better start), but he cut me off with a snarky response, so I left him be. When I left he had put at least another 5 boxes downrange and was still drilling the berm.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    If I where to own a firearms store and ammunition sales business you definitely wouldnt want me to ''Bore Site'' your gun scope combo.
    Especially because I would be in the ''business'' to be selling guns, scopes, rings and of course ammo .
    The Men and Women at Prophet River are to classy to be the kind of retailer I would be.
    Tight Groups
    Rob
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

You would think that if you can't hit the paper at 100yds you would go back to 25yds and work out again. Some people have the IQ of a 2x4 and are twice as thick. If you're dumb enough to fire a box of shells and not hit the paper at 100yds you don't deserve to be a firearms owner.
    Clay and his crew are a class act.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast