Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fun in a Can ***Giveaway*** at AmmoSupply.ca

I will stays where I'm at 'til you knows where I'm to
    Ms Kate, blanks can be a blast!
    This past summer we had a pair of Ruger Mini-14's in .223 out in the field. Both owners, one is me, totally love our rifles and have long-since developed a rivalry between what they can do. About 10 of us in the bachelor party, all knowing that we were messing with the groom, the other owner, and some not knowing they were also being messed with!
    A few stuffed animals, randomly placed Thundershots inside, and a few blank rounds. For those who didn't expect the fun meter to go off the scale with the Thundershot, it was awesome! Scared but amazed at the same time...I originally said 'what did you hit!? Holy caca!' Then I said, 'yeah these are special army rounds I used to use!' That was pretty funny in its own right, especially since half the guys are not gun nutz!
    The groom, however, probably succumbing to pre-wedding jitters went through two mags worth of every second round being a blank. They don't cycle the action so he would clear it, see a casing fly out and try again. He never did look at what was coming out or what we were loading. He actually became angry and quite fed up with what was going on. I am paraphrasing here, 'that's what I want... a freakin' lemon of a shooter...what a piece of turd...this competition doesn't count...it has been great 'til now...etc!' He wanted to sell it right there, and he tried, but we all said, yeah what a piece of junk-started great but then fell apart.
    An off-handed comment came from the back, 'isn't that like wives and marriages?' SNAP! When he threw his rifle into the bed of the truck, we kind of figured it went too far and let him off the hook. We haven't been out shooting since but I know the blames will be on 'what we made him do to that rifle that makes it shoot 'off' now!'
    Here's to a few more wins for my mini and I! Oh yeah, and a long and happy marriage...!
    CCFR
    Do it right THIS time, you may not get a NEXT time.
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a veteran."

Expired Business Member
    I have a funny story (although this doesn't count as an entry) - I took a newbie to the indoor range to try out my handguns, and he really enjoyed it. Since I had paid to go in, I thought I would spend 5 minutes having a shoot before we left. My guest, having no ability to be still and just watch, grabbed the broom and started sweeping up brass. All the bays were full and the guy shooting next to me almost tripped over on the broom as my guest was sweeping around him. Not thinking it was a good idea to distract or trip people with loaded firearms, I shot my guest a dirty look. He went to put the broom away and knocked the lights off at the same time with the broom handle - the whole range went pitch black. Needless to say, I haven't taken him back!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Bigbubba's Avatar
    HORROR STORY

About 5-6 years ago, I come home from deer hunting. I have 2 rifles to put away, a Sako M995 in .270 win and a Tikka T3 hunter
    Both guns have been brought in the house in soft sided zipper cases, the Sako is in a Leupold case with heavy fake sheepskin type lining.

So I am putting both cases up on top of the bench to open and put the guns away. Open the first case and as I did to the Leupold case holding the Sako slid of the top of the loading bench and (since I had both hands busy holding the other gun) I tried to pin the case against the bench legs to stop it falling or at least slow it down. Anyway it slid down and landed on the floor, not very hard, and the case was 100% horizontal when it hit. So I didn't think anything of it, fully expecting there would be no damage.

Ok, so I put the other gun away, then I reach down and pick up the Leupold case, unzip it and reach in to pull out the M995.
    All I got was half a rifle stock! The stock had snapped in half exactly where the rear screw attaches the action to the stock.

Needless to say I wasn't happy, and have never bought another Sako or synthetic stocked rifle since.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer pcvando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocShay View Post
    Guys, we all have "bad stories", when it comes to firearms - I don't want to be the debbie downer or boot licker here - But I think maybe we may want to take into consideration the image we may be painting ourselves with (publically) by sharing such stories here.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the draw.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    I figure with the horror/bad/dangerous stories listed here already I thought I'd not share my horror/bad/dangerous stories!

I will instead detail a bunch of the funny, close encounter, dumb luck ones...

-----
    Taxidermy is Excellent
    When the Expo centre was first built at Northlands I believe they had an outdoors show or the Huntfest there that year. I decided to take my parents to the show as a gift. When we arrived there were many halls of stuff to see, but in the hallways outside the event (before you had to have tickets to get into the halls) there was a table set up for a Birds of Prey rescue and rehabilitation center: they had displays including some excellent taxidermy (birds that came in too hurt and they could not save, and so forth) and generally were trying to get donations as well as educate the public. On the table was two identical perches with two identical owls looking in the identical direction, out yonder down the hallway.
    My mom bent over to look very closely at the owls and said something like, "Wow, these two are perfectly stuffed, you can hardly tell..." and then the owl on the left turned to her and hooted! My mom jumped and then froze in surprise as her finger was now in beak snapping distance. Luckily the owl just stopped moving once again to look like perfect taxidermy.
    As it turned out the other was indeed stuffed and the display was intentional to show of the taxidermist's skill, along with the amazement at the stillness of an owl.
    Occasionally when something scares one of us because it was not as expected, we call it "being owl-ed".

----
    Animal Affinity
    I was wandering a section I got permission to hunt deer on every year, using a tactic of gently and slowly roving an area in late morning while deer started to bed for the mid-day: this often resulted in spotting deer and being able to harvest one if the right sex and species. The very day before on a separate plot of land I assisted with field dressing a deer harvested using that very technique by someone else. I decided to stop and eat a soft granola bar (no crunching!) for a moment, leaning on an old cut line brush/sod/dirt pile, and found myself the attention of a weasel! I tried to eat my snack, watch for any moving deer, and still keep an eye on the small white weasel scurrying about. It would be in the pile somewhere, poke its head out to see me, then go back in. This happened for some time until finally the weasel came out to sniff and rub on one of my boots, evidently smelling something stained on from the field dressing.
    I decided I had to go when the weasel finally left my boot alone, about half hour longer lingering longer than I wanted. What occurred next was me moving over the next ridge to spot a very nice buck saunter into a thicket of buck brush and lay down, eventually allowing my hunting partner to harvest a very respectable 5x5 Mule Buck (heavy, robust, but young enough to be tasty!). It was dumb luck, fate or something that distracted me with the weasel long enough so that I did not spook the buck in the open because I did not have the proper tag for it myself.

----
    Traffic Jams
    I have had close encounters with some of our smaller mammals in the woods. I was walking thick buck brush laced with thorns when I almost walked into a porcupine head on! The issue was the porcupine decided I was no threat and simply kept waddling towards me, while I had no where to go but over it or go back. I had a funny "hop skip" to clear that fat waddling ball of quills so I could get in the direction I had to go.
    I did the very same thing in a pathway through the side of a pond while hunting. I found myself on a ridge of dry earth with deeper water (deep when your hunting boots are only water proof 6 inches) on each side... and one huge beaver in front of me. IT, once again, took the same stance as the porcupine. This time we both looked at each other like the characters in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, both turned around and receded back the way we came.

----
    NSFW
    So there is the very small group of use out on the farm with our M305/M1A platform rifles, most with simple battle sights, trying to give targets, a gong and (two 1/4lb for us each) binary targets a hard time. I can certainly confirm that the 4x4 ft piece of plywood the target was centered on was getting very blessed... err, I mean holy... full of holes. I don't know if the targets and the gong were lucky or what, but with our joking & chatting there wasn't much hitting them. The binary, however, had no luck at all: as soon as the first person hit one there was too much fun to be had! The issue was one friend (who must remain nameless) who could not seem to get his hits high enough to hit that small jug of reactive target. (no clue why he always aimed low: psychological? I don't know)
    Closer to the end of the day his wife shows up for the BBQ we had planned, and of course got to hear all of the ragging, harassment and general abuse we had for him always missing the binary target too low. I kid you not, as he's trying to line up that target when his wife leans over and says loud enough the group could hear, "You get those in 5 rounds I swear I'll #### you so hard you won't walk." A hush fell on the group...

Three rounds. I kid you not.

I'm guessing the two binary targets were not the only... well, ahem... you know... that night.

That is what I can think of Kate...
    Last edited by Aniest; 10-04-2015 at 10:30 PM. Reason: horrid grammer tonight *eekk*
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

CGN Ultra frequent flyer skneub's Avatar
    Was Tween Digby and Yarmouth .....Escaped back home to Alberta :-)
    Today our once in a lifetime story happened to my boy.

We were out hunting on an old lease road that winds a bit thru the bush.
    Location of this road will remain undisclosed because it is our favorite spot.
    Anyhow we had gone to the lease and were on our way out.

a straight stretch that crosses a cut block , and about an 80degree left hand turn about 200 yards ahead of us there I spot deer on the outside of the right away(Pipeline)
    My boy gets out of the truck and proceeded to identify the doe (we already knew it was a safe location for the shot)
    He identified it as legal and was moving the crosshairs of his rifle to the shoulder for his shot.....when we hear a crack and see a puff of white ..it drops like a stone.

Seems the deer at the exact same time had 2 sets of crosshairs on it from 2 different spots on the road...
    Half a second longer and it would a been my boys deer lol.

Never ever in all my years of hunting have I experienced this or even heard of it happening.

But today it happened to us

Not really funny but still makes me smile every time I think about it.

I was working for a small town fire department and late one night we got a call for a rural house fire. We roll up and the house is fully involved there's no going into this place it was an old farm house built who knows how long ago with solid hardwood. So we get the fire under control and the owner of the house rolls up an elderly widower I find out later on after talking to him for awhile find out he's from the same town as me and knew my grandpa (he saw my last name on my jacket).
    He kept asking us if we found his fire safe and we said no and the inspectors need to come through first before we move anything out of the house. Over and over and over have you found my fire safe I need my fire safe finally we got the safe out for him and he opened it.
    Now this guy must be in his 70's or 80's and a widower so I'm expecting pictures of his wife or land titles or something
    He reaches in the safe and pulls out the most beautiful colt 1911 I've ever seen! Turns out it was his dad's and it was never fired and as a gun guy I laughed and said I thought it was pictures of your wife he looked at me and said I'm a bachelor now women love ponies.
    To this day I'm surprised that pistol survived that fire and I still wonder what happened to him.
    Last edited by skoal; 10-04-2015 at 11:30 PM.
    Go read that shlock to a soldier or a fireman or a football player or a bloody barber Theyll all knock your "this" right down your throat while sippin a beer and eating chicken wings.Then wipe their wee fingers on your pretty little pouch"

My Uncle says so!
    Was at a range and a young fellow sat down next to me and proceeded to load up his new to him rifle. He sent some rounds down range and no marks on the target. I was busy recording shots for load development and didn't pay much attention to him. He sent some more down range and we went to check targets and put up new ones and still nothing on paper for him. I watched him for a bit as he sent some more bullets down range. I couldn't see impacts down range. So he had started on his second box of 20 rounds and I asked what he was shooting. He replied the gun came from his uncle and he was shooting some 270 cal Federal gamekings through it. The gun looked like some british military piece so I asked if it was a 30-06. No he replied it is a 270 because his uncle says so. After all 40 rounds were shot I again asked if it is another caliber, having not seen any impact down at the 100 yard target. No he replied. I walked over and took one of my 270 spent cases and after proving his gun was unloaded stuck it in the end of the barrel and rattled it around. Didn't matter if it had a .308 cal hole it was still a 270 because his uncle said so. OK
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    Remember, it's not what you did once, but what you can do on demand that counts. Fr. Frog
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I took a pretty little lady to the rifle range to introduce her to guns, specifically the 10/22.
    It was our fourth or fifth date...but I had dinner with her family on the last date and met her parents and two sisters.
    We drove up to the range, and it's busier then hell but we got a booth next two a guy shooting some big bore revolver, and the other guy was shooting a mare's leg which was just as loud.

I gave the quick run down of safety (keep it pointed down range, assume its loaded when you pick it up, finger off the trigger, this is how you look down the sights, showed her how to hold the rifle(and yes I got behind her, held her close), bla bla bla). She sat at the bench, I loaded up a magazine, she got it in the magwell, cycled the action, safety, and started shooting.

At this point I'm worrying about the guy to the left and the guy to the right, and all the other #### that goes on at a range, and making sure she's keeping it pointed down range, she's plinking away, and then something happened to the rifle.

I snap back to attention and say "OK, keep it pointed down range and grab that lever, and cycle the jammed round out *she gets the jammed round comes out* Ok and doing good, keep it pointed down range ...and I'm sorry I forgot your name but I know your sisters name is {insert older sisters name here}"

She slowly turned her head to me and said quite sternly with the death glare "I'm holding a loaded rifle and you said my sisters name?"

"ah dammit..."

Date night ended pretty short after that.

She stuck through though and we got married a month and a half ago. And yes, this was in the best mans speech. New wife can confirm story.

CGN Regular
    my mother and father were invited to a duck hunting club in Ontario by an old friend whom they had never hunted with before. This club owns over 800 acres of prime farmland that they flood every fall after harvest, leading to thousands of ducks flying in at a time. My mom was the first women given the honour of shooting at that club, and as a testament to it, my parents friend told my mom she could take the first shot. After she downed 3 ducks in a row with no cripples before he got one, he remarked that she really knew how to shoot. Later that day the game warden remarked that she shot better than most of the men at the club. This must have offended the pride of many of the men, as they reinstituted their no women policy after being outshot by my mom!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast