Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fun in a Can ***Giveaway*** at AmmoSupply.ca

So about 19 or 20 years ago.....in a small village of about 400 in East Central Alberta, there was a couple of 15/16 yr olds who were enjoying the end of summer and chilling out before the start of school.

It was a weekend like most others, however we had decided that weekend to spice things up a bit. We decided to play our own rendition of the hunter becomes the hunted. You see my folks owned about 10 acres of fairly wooded land right on the edge of the village, so it was a prime location.

All the guys in the group, went home and retrieved their trusty pellet guns. The rules seemed pretty simple. Only flt head pellets were allowed, and no shooting above the shoulders. (at the time it seemed like a safe solution to losing an eye)

So every man for himself, we set off into the bush and after 5 or so minutes, the games begun. After about an hour of uneventful play (no one left their hiding spots as they were waiting for someone else to spring the trap on) we hollered out to bring it in.

As we were waiting for everyone to get back in, word must have got out around the village as to what we were doing, as more of the guys showed up. Most to just see what was going on. We had quite a group there now. One of the guys that came figured we could create a new game of "turn or burn". This game entailed of one individual with the pellet gun, and the other stars running from him out to a set point (about 20 yard away) then the person either dekes left or right. The shooter has a 50/50 chance of getting it right. Once hit, you return and take up the position of the shooter.

Well this lasted quite a few rounds with no one being hit. One of the guys brought his smaller brother (about 14 yrs old) and he was shooting his mouth off about how much everyone sucked at shooting. We offered to let him have a chance at running away if we sucked so bad. He scoffed at us and said it would be a breeze. Just at that time, one of the other guys in the group, who had been to England for shooting competitions, had taken the podium on the pellet gun. As this poor soul started to run away, our prized shooter decided to learn the younger brother on the effects of running the mouth. He got down in the prone position and took aim. He was intensily focused and the group became very quiet. You could almost anticipate what was about to happen. It all seemed very surreal and in slow motion as he put one right on the guys keister about 1 step before he was supposed to turn.

Well the lad went for a tumble ass over tea kettle, he was rolling around on the ground squealing like a wounded rabbit and holding his poor ass cheek like he had been mortally wounded. Everyone on the mound was gasping for air as they were in full roar of laughter, even the older brother. After what felt like 10 minutes he got up, very humbled and we all had a good laugh over it, including the poor chap. We all went home after and thought nothing more of it.

2 days later......

I am out back with mr shooter himself and we are working on a fort out back. It is starting to get near supper so he heads home. I come in the house and am greeted by my father. You see my father was ex-military of 25 years, airborne regiment. He was also an auxillary RCMP at the time. I am greeted with him asking me why his fellow officers are calling him about me shooting another teen down the street. Of course he knows the family of the boy. I try to explain what happened, but to no avail. I was forced to give up the comrades involved, and then I was also forced to phone all of them, and have them tell their folks what had happened as well.

When the dust had settled, everyone there that day was grounded/punished except for Mr. Sniper. For some reason, his family saw it fitting to have him promise to never shoot anyone again and he was done.

Needless to say......there were no more pellet guns allowed in the back 40 without supervision again.

Later.......

We find out that the reason the RCMP were called, is because the mother of the guy who was shot saw the bruise and called them. When asked how his mother saw a bruise on his bare butt cheek......his answer was "she saw it when I got out of the shower and was streaking to my room"

Moral of the story.........streaking does no one any favors.

I doubt it's a winner but it will always stick in my head. Growing up I had a particular uncle that is really creative when it comes to teaching lessons. We were out at a local 4x4 camping site when I was no more than 11 years old when he brought out his semi auto 12 gauge. He had received it as a birthday gift and was eager to try it out. My cousins and myself all young and eager to try the big gun started bugging the crap outta him for a turn. He kept telling us we would have a turn and to stop bugging him while he was learning his new firearm. Needless to say I didn't listen, a 12 gauge with bird shot doesn't kick that much and I wasn't worried about it but he kept telling me I would regret it if I didn't leave him alone. Good luck trying to tell a11 year old boy to wait, well he finally relented and loaded up the semi auto with shells, talked me through how to aim and how to work the safety and let me have my turn. It held 5 shells and I was shooting at drift wood in the river and all was well until the 5th shot when I discovered he loaded a slug. He told me I would regret it and I did. My young shoulder hurt for days after that, lesson learned. Now I always wait my turn, and never harass him anymore.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer angrysoldier's Avatar
    Guy in the woods

A few years ago i was rabbit hunting near Halifax Nova Scotia. I was about 5 to km from anything and i was hunting near a march/bog type area so not the place you want to be if your not dressed right. As i come around a cospe of trees there is this guy sitting on top of a large rock in a buisness suit briefcase and all. So being the guy that i am i ask him " what time is it? " and he looks at the sun and tells me its "quarter past two". I then smile and nod and then just walk away. The oddest thing i even seen in the woods.
    dont sweat the petty things, and dont pet the sweaty things

del
    Last edited by granite; 11-30-2015 at 02:04 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer buzzmagoo's Avatar
    My name is Christopher and I'm an ammoholic! I guess it all started when I was a kid sneaked a box here beged box there,back then (they would sell to a kid!) sporting store and clothing store all under the same roof . New clothes for school "part of the deal was ,I had to stay with Mom for the clothes and maybe if I was" good "I could go to look at the guns!yep !that's okay! hold still !! not that color! is it big enough? pay attention !listen to !me dance .Couldn't be over fast enough .Then the speech ,you go over there ,only there and stay there! till I come and get you do not touch anything !yea yea yea!!!! then before I could make good my escape mom for the first time sliped me a buck fifty. I was gone ,I can still hear my sneakers squeak as my runners screamed for traction through the endless racks of clothes shortcut through the underwear and I was there .Nirvana! What to oogle first ? Long guns ,handguns, bows and arrows ,traps or hunting clothes? the cool stuff ,the red plaid felt jackets them green hats you peel the top over to the blaze orange ,than OH! GOD ! Ammo! Dominion boxes piled neatly on the shelves (yes there were others to be discovered later ) but for now that's what I wanted the stuff of dreams !(that's what pop used )the big boys first 30/ 30, 30 odd 6, 308 ,8mm? 577,577 /450 ,44/40 ,38/40( dads Marlin )Then last but not least the 22's didn't understand the grains stuff ?( that was for chickens )hollow points jacketed(in copper )that's what fuels my desires visions of how they must be better than ordinary lead (all I had shot to date )daydream ,snapback to reality mom's hand on my shoulder And the buck 99 price don't know how? but she just turned to the clerk and asked if he had any broken or damaged boxes of twenty two's ?He turned around and put down a box on the counter she looked at it for a minute,Grabed it!( the box) turned to me and said pay the man! She put them in her handbag and we left . Not peep out of me all the way to the car ,got in ( right side of the backseat) my place , she turned to give me the box ,no speech or nothing !this was a trap !I was still stuned ,what just happened? Hey! stupid snap out of it ! you got 22 ammo !No way!! COPPER! HOLLOW POINTS!! I could hardly contain myself ! I have been chasing that buzz ever since !I Love you mom !
    Last edited by buzzmagoo; 10-06-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Years a go I went to a machine gun shoot in the state of Maine ( The Harum Maximum shoot) any way, got to see some very neet and interesting fire arms.I was on the fire line getting ready to let rip when my vender/ renter stopped me and pulled me back off the line, after I made safe I turned to see what was the problem, he was smirking and gave a nod/ glance towards a another shooter on the line ( just beside me). He was holding a Vietnam area ( us) grenade launcher, there were two other men with him. They were explaining how to hold to lob the shell( about 250 feet away) at the target. He opened the break action ,one of the men sliped in the shell/ grenade ( a blue plastic chalk marker round) both of the men helped him close it and they allso pointed him and got him braced and ready to shoot. All the while this was going on there were more people watching this show unfold. The line had slowly backed up. The line master called the line hot! And fire at will! I can still see him rock back and forth spreading his feet and getting in to the stock, there was a bang! And a great puff/ cloud of bright orange chalk. Everyone just broke out in laughter! He lowered the gun in one hand and turned towards the back of the line he was covered in Orange people all most all stopped laughing then he removed his eye protection, we all laughed so hard they closed the line for 15 min. His two buddies had set him up with a cracked shell/cup, my hat that I was Wearing that day It still has traces of the orange chalk to this day!

One of my child hood friends went hunting with his father in law and three or four others ( private land) .They all had their own tree cash/ area. Snow had fallen the day before( 3 inches) my friend was on his way out of the bush when he met up with one of the others, they were walking they look up and low a behold there's a yearling moose not 20 feet away in the trail out! While they were watching it they hear a Mone and the thud of Hoofs behind them! Moma! Moose! She was coming at them and she wasn't happy! They both started to run towards the nearest big tree. Well! They got chased around that tree 5 or 6 times before she stopped chasing them and stopped. They started to yell and shooting there guns! ( in the air, it was dear season). Well all the others heard this ruckus and came running, when they got there, they found them lying under the tree completely winded! The moose and yonge one had left by now. It took 20 minutes before they could explain what happened. All around the tree was all spun up from the race! And they had shot their guns dry. There was a trail of their equipment that they had lost in the chase ( they found most of it). When the story is retold now , we all laugh and say it was a good thing that it wasn't bow season!! LOL!!

The head mechanic at work was hunting on one of his friends farm. He had noticed some one else was use his trails and bate pile( apple's) so early on the last day he brings in a stuffed dear head and hangs it on a tree that you can only see from where this guy was sitting. The mecano even tyed fishing line to it( the head) then he hunkered down and weighted for him to come. Shure enough this guy showed up 15 past sun up,( all filmed) he gets to where he sets and he looks over, he freezes all the while never looking away gets his gun loads it. The head starts to move! You can see him shake! Calmes down and shoots! Looks up off his rifle?? The head move's again! Bang! Still nothing! By this time the mecano his is just dying trying not to laugh. Pulls the line again. The guy shoots two times and starts to run to it! The mecano stands up and starts yelling at him. The guy was so shook he just turned and ran! Left his lunch box ,Ammo and a soda! Never did find out who it was but he never came back!

I was deer hunting in Western MB about 5 years ago, looking for my second deer. I had purchased a Hawken .54 flintlock muzzle loader that I used for muzzle loading season, and had got my first deer the year before with it. My friends poked fun at me, showing off their fancy modern muzzle loaders complete with pricey optics and sophisticated projectiles. I was proud of my flint lock and 1700's technology.

Anyway, my buddy was pushing some bush and I was standing by a clearing patiently waiting for a deer to come by. All of a sudden, a deer appeared at a trot and stopped about 20 yards in front of me, taking a pause and looking around. My heart was pounding at this point. I put the front sight on the deer and pressed the trigger. Clunk. Amid the sparks, I patiently waited for the powder in the pan to set off the main charge. After what seemed like an eternity, I realized the gun was not going to fire. Time slowed down and this deer turned his head and stared at me curiously. I slowly recocked the gun, reset the frizzen, and took aim. Clunk. Sparks..... .... nothing. S**t. Third time's a charm. The deer is still staring at me and I am half cursing at my rifle, half thinking about how comical this situation is. I reset the gun, checked that there was powder in the pan (which there was), and pressed the trigger again. Click. Sparks. Nothing.

At this point the deer is still staring at me. I repeated this process a couple more times. I finally gave up and just stared at the deer. We made eye contact, it seemed to acknowledge that I was done trying, turned, and took off.

I can't imagine how comical this whole scene would have been to someone watching. The deer was only 20 yards away the whole time and only left once I stopped trying to shoot it. And to top it off, the gun fired on the second or third try once I got back to the truck.
    Last edited by mtallman; 10-07-2015 at 11:02 PM.

Back probably 18 years ago a friend and I went out on the quads pellet guns strapped to our backs looking for some gophers to shoot. We went to a pasture where we had experienced decent hunting before....well this day wasn't wasn't to good for seeing to much moving around. We walked along the side hill beside the river and decided to take a rest, 50 yards from where we were sitting we could see something moving behind a large mound of dirt, we both thought the same thing and started running back up the hill. My Dad told us to stay clear of badgers, said if we ever had one cornered it would tear our legs off, thinking that is what we saw we booked er. Once on the top of the hill we calmed down and resumed the hunt.....still not seeing anything to shoot at we decided to try shooting random things.....started out with picking a spot on a fence post and seeing who could get closest. Next is see a badger hole with a white Rock In the dirt in the side of the hole a few inches down from the surface, I asked my buddy if he could hit the rock. He took aim, me watching to see if he could actually hit it. What do you think we saw looking up at us mere inches from the rock? A flippin badger......well I never would have guessed that two young kids could have ever moved so fast. We ran to the quads, started them up and peeled out of the pasture as fast as the tires would spin. Being young and only armed with a couple of .177 pellet guns sure made for a scary experience. Years later I got my revenge on a badger......only problem was I ended up blowing a hole through the mirror arm on my dodge with my .22LR......to top it off two summers later I did it again. Now I have a black gorilla tape mirror arm, sometimes shooting from the cab isn't a good idea?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast