Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: H&k mr308a3-28

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine22 View Post
    I'll trade my slimline stock for a LMT anyday. For a $4000 rifle, I expected something better IMO. Even a Magpul CTR would be an upgrade. I don't get sucked into the HK coolaid. Don't get me wrong though, my MR223a3 is a heck of a rifle but the stock is a huge dissapointement
    To each there own. I own both the older and new variant hk stocks for 416/223 and they both are great and so is the Sopmod as well.

For the MR308 I only have the first version. I might get the stock when I get around to buying the MR308 A3 but that will be in G28 version first. I would like a 12.5 MR308 as well though.

Quote Originally Posted by Epoxy7 View Post
    That hand guard looks really cool. That being said, the rails are on the half closest to the receiver? Most are smooth there these days and have the rails out near the barrel end instead. Mounting bipods etc would be better further out. Again love the look but have to question it's practicality.
    The handguard is extended only for mounting therma and NV in front of the day optic. Practically, it is easier and faster to deploy and level the bipod if it is located closer to the receiver.

Those handguards with short rails at the end are cool if the only thing to be mounted is a plastic white light. For troops that need to mount lasers, separate white lights or potentially Grenada Launcher sights, it is much easier to have full length rails and have them setup up with surefire dual switches. It is also easier to carry the weapon with all the gadgets mounted closer to the receiver, instead of having a big bulb of stuff 12 inches away from the center of mass of the rifle, especially when going on a long patrol.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

CGN Ultra frequent flyer r34skyline's Avatar
    Can someone with the ownership experience comment on how tight the HK E2 stocks lock up? Yes the new slimline stock is lighter, but I love the sloped stocks like the acs and sopmod.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Epoxy7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greentips View Post
    The handguard is extended only for mounting therma and NV in front of the day optic. Practically, it is easier and faster to deploy and level the bipod if it is located closer to the receiver.

Those handguards with short rails at the end are cool if the only thing to be mounted is a plastic white light. For troops that need to mount lasers, separate white lights or potentially Grenada Launcher sights, it is much easier to have full length rails and have them setup up with surefire dual switches. It is also easier to carry the weapon with all the gadgets mounted closer to the receiver, instead of having a big bulb of stuff 12 inches away from the center of mass of the rifle, especially when going on a long patrol.
    I understand what you are saying but something still didn't sit right about it. Yes it's better for weight balance but the trade off is it's less stable especially with multiple targets. So why the compromise?

I recalled handling a HK MR308 on a number of occasions. Heavy, awkward balancing was the impression I was left with. So further digging shows the G28 has a 16.5" barrel. The DM handguard seems to use the forward non railed section more as protection for the barrel and as a heat shield to avoid mirage with the scope. The actual railed part looks to be the same length as the patrol version.

Ultimately, this rifle has a weight issue. It makes the LMT MWS seem light and handy in comparison. So yes I see your point about why they moved everything back. But you avoided mentioning the elephant in the room was the weight issue.

That being said. I still think the G28 rail looks really cool. If going for an HK MR308 I would want that rail configuration. If for no other reason than it's cool distinct look.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mebiuspower's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    When both are fully loaded including magazines the stats I've seen out the G28 E2 version at 17.4 pounds versus the SR25 M110 at 15.3 pounds fully loaded. 2 pounds more for a rifle with 16.5" barrel vs the M110 20" barrel? That's a pig of a rifle. The US upgrade in 2011 stipulated an empty weight (no optics etc) of 9 pounds for the M110. The empty G28 standard weights in at 12.786 pounds empty without optics. The LMT MWS 308 with 16" barrel is about 9.8 pounds empty and is considered fairly heavy. This would be the weight for the UK L129A1 model with 16" barrel. Although I have heard of them going lighter with shorter barrels. Again the LMT is a heavier firearm.

http://www.heckler-koch.com/en/produ...ical-data.html
    Last edited by Epoxy7; 10-15-2015 at 10:02 AM.

The G28 is super heavy because it has a steel upper receiver. It is a pig.

The civilian MR308 and the regular HK417 ( G27P) have aluminum upper receivers. They are like 9 1/2 lb guns.
    Last edited by greentips; 10-15-2015 at 10:00 AM.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mebiuspower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Epoxy7 View Post
    When both are fully loaded including magazines the stats I've seen out the G28 E2 version at 17.4 pounds versus the SR25 M110 at 15.3 pounds fully loaded. 2 pounds more for a rifle with 16.5" barrel vs the M110 20" barrel? That's a pig of a rifle. The US upgrade in 2011 stipulated an empty weight (no optics etc) of 9 pounds for the M110. The empty G28 standard weights in at 12.786 pounds empty without optics. The LMT MWS 308 with 16" barrel is about 9.8 pounds empty and is considered fairly heavy. This would be the weight for the UK L129A1 model with 16" barrel. Although I have heard of them going lighter with shorter barrels. Again the LMT is a heavier firearm.

http://www.heckler-koch.com/en/produ...ical-data.html
    You're talking about 2 lbs when each infantryman carry 100lbs+ worth of gear...

Quote Originally Posted by greentips View Post
    The G28 is super heavy because it has a steel upper receiver. It is a pig.

The civilian MR308 and the regular HK417 ( G27P) have aluminum upper receivers. They are like 9 1/2 lb guns.
    Was just reading the MR308 weight with G28 handguard off the Tactical import website. I noticed the weight difference. It's huge. The commercial version is 9.325 pounds.

My point however still stands that the reason for the new hand guard putting everything back towards the receiver instead of forward appears to have been born out of necessity since the G28 is extremely heavy.

I suspect on the MR308 version it will help make the rifle feel as though it's even lighter. A good thing. Plus it really does look cool.
    Last edited by Epoxy7; 10-15-2015 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    You're talking about 2 lbs when each infantryman carry 100lbs+ worth of gear...
    Well that weight wouldn't have qualified the G28 for the Canadian precision competition. Nor would it make the 9 pounds requirement of the M110 update in 2011 for the US military.

I'm not a soldier but I have to think the weight requirements are there for a reason.

I also think if your HK MR308 was an extra 2 pounds like the G28 that you would be less than thrilled. By the way the current light weight 16" AR308 rifles with heavier barrels have strived for the 8.5 pound range to be used as carbines as well as DM. The LMT is considered heavy at 9.8 pounds for carbine use. With the new DPMS G2 a 16" Recon with MI handguard is hitting 8 pounds.

Don't take this the wrong way. That's a beautiful rifle you have there! I was just curious about the hand guard change which I happen to like the looks of. I think we have figured out why it is the way it is.
    Last edited by Epoxy7; 10-15-2015 at 10:38 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast