Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: H&k mr308a3-28

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mebiuspower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Epoxy7 View Post
    Well that weight wouldn't have qualified the G28 for the Canadian precision competition.
    And why should it? It's not a competition gun.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Epoxy7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    And why should it? It's not a competition gun.
    I was referring to "Canadian Army's Precision 7.62 mm Weapon Project". The competition to replace the AR10T rifles. By the way LMT won.

Don't take this the wrong way. That's a beautiful rifle you have there! I was just curious about the hand guard change which I happen to like the looks of. I think we have figured out why it is the way it is.
    In all seriousness, the location of the rail doesn't really matter. As a sniper rifle or DMR, it comes with thermal clip on sight as part of the package. It doesn't even need to mount any light and laser on the side.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

Quote Originally Posted by greentips View Post
    In all seriousness, the location of the rail doesn't really matter. As a sniper rifle or DMR, it comes with thermal clip on sight as part of the package. It doesn't even need to mount any light and laser on the side.
    The problem I have is the bipod location. Yes I've used bipods closer in. They aren't as stable. Good for fast deployment but not for full out accuracy work.

I'm not a soldier but I have to think the weight requirements are there for a reason.

Precisely, you are not a soldier. So your opinion about what to carry is not important on a purpose built Mil gun like this! Clearly you are missing the difference and the criteria of why the HK MR308A3/G28 was built to fill certain needs. Its not a Recce gun like DPMS or a carbine like the LMT variant you are mentioning.

I was referring to "Canadian Army's Precision 7.62 mm Weapon Project". The competition to replace the AR10T rifles. By the way LMT won.
    LMT was not the winner of the competition & for the record it was Sig's entry designed for the CDN competition with the LaRue running a close second.

gadget
    War Is Never Undertaken by an Ideal State, Except in Defence of its Honour, or its Safety

The G28 ( the real military G28 with the steel receiver ) is made that way because of ridiculous drop test. The regular HK 417 is just fine for what it is made of. You can made a pig out of the KAC if the receiver needs to be made of steel. All the "modern military" 7.62 that are designed and actually adopted for military, including the Colt CM901, are about 9lb + , depending on the details of the accessories and rails.

I also run a older version PMS MK212, it is a 8.5 lb carbine. It is lighter because it obviously has a shorter barrel. It also uses lighter handguard design, lighter magpul furniture and it doesn't have the massive barrel nut as in the HK or the massive barrel/receiver interface like in the LMT.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

Quote Originally Posted by gadget View Post
    LMT was not the winner of the competition & for the record it was Sig's entry designed for the CDN competition with the LaRue running a close second.

gadget
    Source of information please?

I see the MD Charlton DND invoice for $847 thousandish with regards to the tender. So it does make sense.
    Last edited by Epoxy7; 10-15-2015 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner99 View Post
    To each there own. I own both the older and new variant hk stocks for 416/223 and they both are great and so is the Sopmod as well.

For the MR308 I only have the first version. I might get the stock when I get around to buying the MR308 A3 but that will be in G28 version first. I would like a 12.5 MR308 as well though.
    I came across a fair deal on a never fired MR308A3-28. I remembered this thread. I've actually wanted one of these based just on the looks ever since first seeing this thread. I figured if I wanted one of the G28 looking ones I better grab it before the new look of the US model takes over, or the price continues to go up. Anyways I just received mine today.

That handguard is a bit chunky, but it just looks really cool so I'm good with it! Besides, compared to my AR10t rifles it's svelte. Anyways I'll see how it shoots, but build wise I'm impressed. It's at the top. The ambi controls are right up there with KAC if not better. The G28 stock is actually kind of neat. I like the SOPMOD a lot but this is pretty cool. Sort of a nice compromise between a carbine stock and the heavier target orientated PRS stocks. I like it.

I went with a black model. I was leaning that way as I'm not so sure about the 50 shades of FDE. As it turned out this one was in stock NIB. So the decision was made for me. If it shoots half as good as it looks, then I doubt this will be my last HK.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234