Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: DIY Gunsmithing Gone Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by lmar View Post
    I did my AME apprenticeship in the early 80's with a bunch of WW2 aircraft mechanics. What they could do with simple hand tools or rudimentary power tools was absolutely amazing. When I asked them how they figured out to do "the things they do" I was told when Jerry is bombing the crap out of you and the only thing between you and having to learn to speak German is a serviceable aircraft -- you learn in a hurry.
    Best demonstration was watching an old timer weld an aluminum air intake plenum with an oxyacetylene setup and blue goggles.
    Unfortunately, one of my mentors went from functioning mechanic to someone who didn't recognize me - in 8 months due to dementia.... Would have liked to have had a couple of years with him to learn more..........

L
    I always took the time to try and learn those little tricks from the old timers every chance I got, and still do! The old ways of being able to get the job done and done well are fading. Not too many people can make honey out of dog poop, but that seems to be my expertise haha.
    If I didn't rebuild it, make it or modify it, I get bored with it!

CGN frequent flyer incorrigible's Avatar
    if it was just a crack a good 55% silver solder w/ flux could have done the job... certainly better lol
    Aequitas Veritas... Sanguis Coimhéad Fearg Fhear Na Foighde
    Proelium Comminus Auctoritate لحم الخنزير المقدد هو رائع! Illegitimi Non Carborundum

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by wbaad View Post
    If walther didn't make their slides from compressed robot turds there wouldn't be a problem to begin with...
    Is this what John Wayne said? I'm dying to know.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789