Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 25353738394041424344454647 LastLast

Thread: Modern Varmint Rifle Updated Oct 14 2015

I don't think Rick & the boys look at the forums on a weekend. I talked to Shawn on Wednesday last week. The CFW barrels will be a wait. Maybe a long wait. The handguards are in. The buffer springs should be here this week coming. Then, the assembly starts and then test shots and function tests follow. Then the phone calls start to happen.

I think those who try to say that they are thinking of going elsewhere because of the wait, are intitled to their opinions. But, it sure doesn't help.

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianma65 View Post
    ATRS, can you give me an update on the CFW barrels? Are they even left the states yet? Are they made yet? Any time frame? I've been waiting ten months now and all I ask is for an update on the CFW barrels. And please , not just a, they're not here yet.
    Thanks
    Brian
    The CFW barrels have not left the states yet, we provide Proof a number of how many we would like, and they provide an estimated time frame. Though it would seem that, on volume orders, they tend to over-estimate their production capabilities as we saw similar delays with the Modern Hunters. To my undestanding, the majority of the barrels are done and ready.

The next question I can see you asking however, is "well then why don't you just get them to ship what they have done already!" So I'll address that in advance... (HYPOTHETICALLY) if they had 43 barrels ready, and you were #44 in line for a CFW barrel, would you want to wait until the next shipment of barrels in another 6+ months? Better to just wait for the full 50 to be ready. Shipping a few barrels here and there is not very cost effective. (these are not the actual numbers ordered, fyi)

Quote Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
    I don't think Rick & the boys look at the forums on a weekend. I talked to Shawn on Wednesday last week. The CFW barrels will be a wait. Maybe a long wait. The handguards are in. The buffer springs should be here this week coming. Then, the assembly starts and then test shots and function tests follow. Then the phone calls start to happen.

I think those who try to say that they are thinking of going elsewhere because of the wait, are intitled to their opinions. But, it sure doesn't help.
    Correct on many points. I don't have a specific ETA on the CFW barrels, when they're ready they'll ship to us but until they are, they won't. I don't know if I would call it a 'long wait' however.

Almost all the handguards are in, the rest are being shipped with the JP springs which we should literally have any day here.

And no, we don't tend look at the forum too much during the weekend.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer hawk-i's Avatar
    You guys (ATRS) really need to start making your own barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    The CFW barrels have not left the states yet, we provide Proof a number of how many we would like, and they provide an estimated time frame. Though it would seem that, on volume orders, they tend to over-estimate their production capabilities as we saw similar delays with the Modern Hunters. To my undestanding, the majority of the barrels are done and ready.

The next question I can see you asking however, is "well then why don't you just get them to ship what they have done already!" So I'll address that in advance... (HYPOTHETICALLY) if they had 43 barrels ready, and you were #44 in line for a CFW barrel, would you want to wait until the next shipment of barrels in another 6+ months? Better to just wait for the full 50 to be ready. Shipping a few barrels here and there is not very cost effective. (these are not the actual numbers ordered, fyi)

Correct on many points. I don't have a specific ETA on the CFW barrels, when they're ready they'll ship to us but until they are, they won't. I don't know if I would call it a 'long wait' however.

Almost all the handguards are in, the rest are being shipped with the JP springs which we should literally have any day here.

And no, we don't tend look at the forum too much during the weekend.
    Jury Barrels right in Alberta.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    You guys (ATRS) really need to start making your own barrels.
    I can't imagine the cost of getting set up to do CFW barrels, but I doubt it would be justifiable in the limited market ATRS has, and one that Proof Reseach not only invented but also dominates.

For normal barrels the market is already fairly saturated. To me ATRS is already on the right track.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gunneegoogoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    I can't imagine the cost of getting set up to do CFW barrels, but I doubt it would be justifiable in the limited market ATRS has, and one that Proof Reseach not only invented but also dominates.

For normal barrels the market is already fairly saturated. To me ATRS is already on the right track.
    Oh god - millions..... Proof is an offshoot of a company that does CF for other stuff, if I'm not mistaken, so they're already in the know about the ins and outs of CF.....

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sqr View Post
    Jury Barrels right in Alberta.
    Fantastic barrels, absolutely. The only problem is that Bob is a one man operation, and the quantity we need for the Varmint/Hunter is problematic. We use a lot of Bob's barrel blanks for bolt actions and some custom AR's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunneegoogoo View Post
    Oh god - millions..... Proof is an offshoot of a company that does CF for other stuff, if I'm not mistaken, so they're already in the know about the ins and outs of CF.....
    True. Many Many Millions, would be more accurate because it's technically the resins that they're using that provide all the features we love. And on the way to finding a good mix, there's bound to be hundreds of failures during development.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Patt08's Avatar
    Don't mind us ATRS. We just 'scited!
    |CCFR|

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gunneegoogoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    Fantastic barrels, absolutely. The only problem is that Bob is a one man operation, and the quantity we need for the Varmint/Hunter is problematic. We use a lot of Bob's barrel blanks for bolt actions and some custom AR's.

True. Many Many Millions, would be more accurate because it's technically the resins that they're using that provide all the features we love. And on the way to finding a good mix, there's bound to be hundreds of failures during development.
    Hasn't been THAT many years since Burt Rutan started playing with this funny CF stuff... (About 30 I reckon)..... Not exactly an old science. When you consider the criticality of trusting it to withstand something like the PSI in a rifle barrel, that's not something you just do on the evenings and weekends!!!

Sure is interesting stuff though. I still think a CF scope body is coming sometime.

Pretty cool that Proof does it in small town Montana....

I am happy to wait as long as it takes for this rifle. Please take your time and I look forward to the finished product.