Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightening a barrel?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

Lightening a barrel?

Is it advisable to attempt to lighten the barrel on my Ruger SR556, or would a new barrel need to be made, also can the handguard be cut along the sides for M Lock attachment points? I realize it might need to be re-anodized.
    "In the days of my youth I was told what it means to be a man, Now I've reached that age if I do that stuff I'll end up in the can...."
    Apologies to Led Zep

Any barrel can be re-profiled, however accuracy may degrade depending on how the barrel was made and the machining conditions. As for M-Lok, my guess would be a resounding No as, to my knowledge, the specifications are not allowed to be distributed outside the USA.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - When all else fails, vote from the rooftops "Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Juster's Avatar
    M-Lok doesn't look too hard:
    Instead of being troubled by what is really evil, people make a big fuss over what is merely conventionally evil. -Diogenes

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I can't see how it would be proprietary, or restricted, given it's under a free license. I'm leaning toward re-profiling because the gas system is not a standard length, so adapting a DI barrel is out.
    Last edited by enefgee; 10-22-2015 at 11:23 AM.
    "In the days of my youth I was told what it means to be a man, Now I've reached that age if I do that stuff I'll end up in the can...."
    Apologies to Led Zep

Quote Originally Posted by enefgee View Post
    I can't see how it would be proprietary, or restricted, given it's under a free license. I'm leaning toward re-profiling because the gas system is not a standard length, so adapting a DI barrel is out.
    Unless they have changed their policy, the will not disseminate the information to Non-US citizens due to ITAR.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - When all else fails, vote from the rooftops "Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est"

Quote Originally Posted by Juster View Post
    M-Lok doesn't look too hard:
    Not toleranced, not official specs, no back-detail. That print is basically worthless from a manufacturing standpoint.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    There's ITAR for holes in a piece of metal, that would be interesting to see enforced. Are all holes included, or just holes with names, or patterns of holes with names?

Incidentally, selling the product is disseminating the information, this is a very tough one to argue ITAR on, the item can be ITAR'd, I don't think a hole in a piece of metal can. Additionally the part that will receive the restricted technology, is already hosting an equivalent technology (a 1913 rail) and is an integral part of a restricted system, an AR 15 pattern rifle.
    Last edited by enefgee; 10-22-2015 at 04:29 PM.
    Apologies to Led Zep

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnaby's Avatar
    These aren't just any holes, they're strategically placed holes.
    Revolvers RULE; remember that next time you BEND over to pick up brass OR ejected brass pings off the precision gear.
    Looking for a car pool buddy for weekly weekday trips from Burnaby to POCO. Better yet I'll drive weekly and you take me hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by enefgee View Post
    There's ITAR for holes in a piece of metal, that would be interesting to see enforced. Are all holes included, or just holes with names, or patterns of holes with names?

Incidentally, selling the product is disseminating the information, this is a very tough one to argue ITAR on, the item can be ITAR'd, I don't think a hole in a piece of metal can. Additionally the part that will receive the restricted technology, is already hosting an equivalent technology (a 1913 rail) and is an integral part of a restricted system, an AR 15 pattern rifle.
    From magpul themselves:

3. ITAR Warning. Portions of the M-LOK System and TDP are considered defense articles and technical data that are subject to the

Arms Export Control Act (22 U.S.C. 7728) and the International Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR) (22 C.F.R. Parts 120-130). As part of

the express consideration provided for receipt of the M-LOK TDP, the undersigned acknowledges it is a U.S. Person and agrees that it will

not export, re-export or otherwise transfer, directly or indirectly, the technical data or defense article in violation of U.S. law, and shall be

responsible for obtaining any necessary U.S. government authorization from the U.S. State Department, Directorate of Defense Trade

Controls, as required to ensure compliance with all applicable laws.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Which is of course great if you're creating an M Lock product, and you require a copy of the TDP, if however you're just milling holes it's pretty meaningless. There's nothing being exported, reverse engineered maybe, but certainly never exported.
    Apologies to Led Zep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast