Thread: Camo

Camo

wear it or not......is it needed?

Look at vintage pics of hunters from back in the day. Their camo was bright red flannel jackets and jeans. I do have a camo jacket I wear for the cold mornings. Other then that, I'll wear long johns and jeans. Wear whatever makes you comfortable. The animals will more then likely smell you before they see you anyways.

CGN Regular
    Depends what you mean by "needed".

Needed to keep Cabelas profitable? Sure looks like it. $57 for a polyester fleece sweater.

Needed so you won't feel left out when everyone else shows up wearing it? Been there. My budget doesn't usually stretch past an army surplus coat over warm layers from goodwill.

Needed so animals you don't want detecting you have a harder time detecting you? In my understanding it helps by reducing colour contrast and shape cues, but keep in mind that most animals are less vision dependent than humans are, and MUCH less colour-vision dependent. Non-primates dedicate a lot more of their sensor/processing loadout to smell and hearing than we do.

I read an article once which looked at the difference in sensory packages and ended up suggesting that the old-style red/black plad hunting jackets were a suprisingly good approach. Ungulate eyes don't see much contrast between red and black, and their brain attaches no particular significance to right angles. Ours does both.

So all in all I'd suggest that camo can help a bit, but it can also get pricey which translates into less time/resources to spend on other angles of the situation (better boots, pack, practice ammo etc), or just less time you can spend in the bush. Learning to mitigate your sound/scent footprint may give you more payoff for the $/effort.

That's just one opinion.

You'll get lots of others that are as good, or better.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer skypilot's Avatar
    I use camo for turkey season and yotes.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the groups I cannot shoot, the ability to dope the wind, and the wisdom to hide the bad targets