Thread: Good platform to start a build

Good platform to start a build

Hey guys,

im looking for something that will be cost efficient yet still be customizable when the funds are available or when i get bored. what would be a good platform to start on? kinda looking for something around 30-06 but have an open mind when it comes to caliber. it will be a moose/deer gun for the most part. ive heard a rem 700 is a good option but haven't been able to find one used for the right price. just want to know what my options are and what i will end up spending in the long run.

thanks.

A remington 700 is definitely one of the most flexible platforms out there, if you buy one in and appropriate caliber, personally for moose and deer i recommend a .308, but 30-06 is a good option as well. You could also go with a savage model 10, winchester model 70, tikka T3 or weatherby vangaurd just to name a few, most well known manufacturers have very nice rifles available new for around or under the $1000 mark and if you're looking to go used find a platform that is still in production with a caliber you are comfortable with and see where it takes you.

as far as what you end up spending in the long run, well that is completely up to you, I have a savage axis that I have about $600 into including scope and I am really happy with the rifle, however if you want to start spending money, its easy to blow $10,000 on a rifle