Thread: Skeet/Trap shooting

Skeet/Trap shooting

Hi folks, although not that new to shooting sports, I am new to the world of skeet and trap. What is the best type of shotgun for either. I currently own a Mossberg 500 now, but is more of a tactical style with an 18.5" barrel. Are OU, SxS type shotguns better suited for this sport? Thanks in advance for the information.

Cheers
    Ray
    I may not be as good as I once was...but I'm as good once as I ever was

Don't practise until you get it right...practise until you can't get it wrong

I would recommend that you continue to keep trying the sport before making a large purchase. Usually the gun clubs have a good group of guys in this shooting discipline. Ask to see if you can shoot a few rounds with there guns to get a feel for what you like. But I would suggest a over and under gun. Remember stock fitting is key and then other factors play too such as barrel length, sights ect. Just don't jump into something too quickly IMO

Also you have some of Canada's best skeet shooters that live in your area. I'm sure you will find the right advice at your local club

Also make sure that if you are going to make a large investment into a trap/skeet gun you figure out if you want sub gauges too (20,28,410) either a four barrel set or tubes depending on how serious you want to get with it all. It is very addictive
    Last edited by zelly; 11-07-2015 at 10:04 PM.
    Practice makes you perfect, it also makes you broke!

Quote Originally Posted by zelly View Post
    I would recommend that you continue to keep trying the sport before making a large purchase. Usually the gun clubs have a good group of guys in this shooting discipline. Ask to see if you can shoot a few rounds with there guns to get a feel for what you like. But I would suggest a over and under gun. Remember stock fitting is key and then other factors play too such as barrel length. Just don't jump into something too quickly IMO
    OP, this is very good advice from zelly.

CGN Regular
    You will be fine with your Mossy. See if you can find a longer barrel for it (26" or up- ideally 28" or 30"). For skeet- use an IC or skeet choke. For trap (assuming 16 yard) anything from Mod choke up. An 18.5 barrel will be ok, but the longer sight plane of a longer barrel will help. It is more important for trap as the targets are broken farther away.

Most importantly- clays are fun. Sometimes those that are very serious clays shooters forget that- but don't let them discourage you. Most clubs have a bunch of good people that will show you the ropes if you let them know you are new. Some may not like the 18" barrel though...

prepare to get hooked

My local shotgun range won't allow 18.5" barrels. If your gun range allows it, that's awesome for you.

I think most people decide to get an OU but I use my semiautomatic benelli legacy.
    Member of CCFR

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    prepare to get hooked
    What he said. I discovered this sport this summer, since then I've only shot trap, have not taken any of my other firearms out since, lol

Have fun shooting Trap & Skeet. However, don't get discouraged if you find out that your not an ace shot at the beginning. Remember practice makes perfect and it's definitely a terrific sport. So get out there and buy a truck load of number 9 shot and have a great time......
    Member: S&WCA, S&WHF

One last thing, if you are able, pick up an O/U shotgun. You'll never regret it....
    Member: S&WCA, S&WHF

Quote Originally Posted by kidcom View Post
    One last thing, if you are able, pick up an O/U shotgun. You'll never regret it....
    I just got one actually...heard from others too what you're saying. Thanks
    I may not be as good as I once was...but I'm as good once as I ever was

Don't practise until you get it right...practise until you can't get it wrong