Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Some Teasers

CGN Ultra frequent flyer polskiogorki's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobster_pot View Post
    Thank you ATRS for your time and perseverance. I can only imagine the time, energy, money and worry that has gone into this project to get it through the inspection process. Congratulations on a job well done! Hopefully you'll be able to reap the benefits for many years to come. Finally Canadian hunters have a lightweight nonrestricted modern platform for hunting and sport shooting. I can't wait to spend my money on such a fine rifle. I'm seriously considering selling all my .223/5.56 and .308 rifles and getting a MV and a MH. For right now I think I'll go with just the MV because I shoot mostly .223/5.56.

I just have one quick question and maybe this has already been answered but I can't seem to find it in either thread. What is the weight difference between the light profile(threaded) barrel and the CFW(threaded) barrel? It's the only option I haven't decided on yet.
    Pretty well identical weight between the 18.5 light contour and the cfw barrel

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bsand View Post
    If that's the case, you'll probably have a deposit, as long as delivery would be before summer. Fingers crossed, I'll be happily following along!

Edit: would i be able to take this into the USA? I remember that the MH was classed as a weapon of war, so they couldn't be sold in USA. But does that also effect temporarily importing?
    Too early to have sent BATFE what they need for legal determination, but I would strongly suspect the Varmint being as it is a direct variant of the Modern Hunter, will be deemed a weapon of war by the US.
    This means we cannot permanently export our rifles, but temporary on a form 6N1A is not a problem. I have had my own Hunter down to the USA several times now and with no problems. I can't say the same for the contents of my RV fridge however.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    What is the advantage with the JP Buffer in a 223 rifle, we can't run silencers and the 223 has minimum recoil in a semi already.
    It will allow for dis-assembly of the upper and lower without having to have a buffer retainer. The original design had a buffer retainer pin that tended to sheer off more often than that we would accept. It is quieter than the conventional spring system and also helps the rifles function better.

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

Quote Originally Posted by sTraTz View Post
    First you're talking about spring 2016, now before summer 2017?

Just curious, as there is lots of sales coming soon and would like to have some money around for a pre-order if needed. Then again, don't want to tie up close to 2k, if the rifle is going to be 1.5 years away.
    I too got kinda lost on some of these posts.
    To clarify. We anticipate the 1st run of Varmints to go out our door late spring of 2016. From there on , like our Modern Hunters, we will be producing 3 or 4 production runs of about 80 rifle per run in alternating batches. With 1 new CNC mill now placed and operational and still room in the current shop room for 1 more, we are hoping that we can keep the lead times reasonable, as in around 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianma65 View Post
    What's the lifespan ( max rnd count) of the CFW barrel compared to the medium contor barrel ? And how do both barrels compare in accuracy potential? Thanks
    Contour has no bearing on barrel life at all.
    A CFW barrel regardless of maker is still a stainless steel barrel, so round count will be about the same regardless of whether the barrel is thinned down and then built back up to dimension with carbon fiber. Proof claims barrel life of a CFW barrel is better due to the better cooling, but I think they are splitting hairs.
    Barrel life regardless of barrel composition is mostly determined by use. I have seen barrels burned out in just a few hundred rounds and I have also seen barrels live many thousands of rounds. So it is impossible to say how many rounds any barrel will see as a useful lifespan.

My MG34 will kill a barrel in about 1000 rounds if I link 4 belts together and go FBR on the trigger and run the belts dry in the 42 seconds they will last, if I run it with short bursts a barrel lasts much longer.

What you are asking equates to "how long is a piece of string?" There are far too many variables to give a guaranteed X number of rounds type answer.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    I did the search thing and it said a CFW barrel should last about 25% longer ( because of heating and cooling times) and be more accurate do to it being more rigid. But I just wanted your opinion.... Thanks

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sTraTz View Post
    First you're talking about spring 2016, now before summer 2017?

Just curious, as there is lots of sales coming soon and would like to have some money around for a pre-order if needed. Then again, don't want to tie up close to 2k, if the rifle is going to be 1.5 years away.
    My appologies for the confusion, simply a misunderstanding on my end.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Brianma65 View Post
    I did the search thing and it said a CFW barrel should last about 25% longer ( because of heating and cooling times) and be more accurate do to it being more rigid. But I just wanted your opinion.... Thanks
    I know that Proof claims that, however before I will make a claim like that I want to see it myself and frankly just have not had enough time shooting any of the rifles I have Proof barrels on.
    On accuracy personally I am not seeing 1 being better than the other. What I have experienced with 2 rifles , same caliber, same contour the only difference being 1 is CFW is that the CFW does not encounter group dispersion from heat. Both are 300 Win mag bolt rifles, the conventional stainless barrel gets 8 or 9 shots before heat effects the grouping, the CFW barrel does not seem to deflect at all even after 15 rounds.
    Not wanting to destroy the barrel I stopped at 15 consecutive rounds fired about 10 seconds apart.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post

Personally we were until just recently very proud to be Canadians. Hopefully in the not too distant future we can change from "Made in Canada" to "Made in the Republic of Alberta"
    Ha ha ha ha ha And that's why I love you Rick.... well you know what I mean.

I need an excuse to move back out West now that I'm out of the classroom forever!

Cheers and thanks for making my day!

Barney

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    I too got kinda lost on some of these posts.
    To clarify. We anticipate the 1st run of Varmints to go out our door late spring of 2016. From there on , like our Modern Hunters, we will be producing 3 or 4 production runs of about 80 rifle per run in alternating batches. With 1 new CNC mill now placed and operational and still room in the current shop room for 1 more, we are hoping that we can keep the lead times reasonable, as in around 6 months.
    Thanks for the clarification. I will try and set away some money.
    Cheers