Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Rifle

CGN Regular

First Rifle

After over 3 years of lurking here and learning everything I could about firearms and shooting sports in general, I finally applied for my PAL and I'm expecting it to show up in the next month or so. Since I'm getting my licence, I think it's also a good idea to think about my first rifle.

My criteria are as follows:
    • Won't bankrupt me (I'm currently a university student)
    • Fun
    • Relatively discreet to store (I live in a house with other students that aren't the biggest fans of firearms)

I was thinking of a Ruger 10/22 Takedown or something similar. I was also considering an SKS, but I really don't know which would be better.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Three firearms which I would recommend are the following

1. 10/22 is a pretty good choice for plinking and are relatively cheap.
    2. Mosin Nagant 91/30 (or save up a little more and get a M38), cheap ammo (.25 cents a round) and since it is a bolt action you don't shoot as much ammo. They are also fairly accurate guns which you can work on improving your accuracy with.
    3. SKS, cheap ammo (16 cents a round) however since it is a semi-auto you will likely go through ammo quicker than a Mosin Nagant and it is not nearly as accurate.

A thing to consider if your trying to keep your rifles out of sight is that you likely won't want to use corrosive ammo as it involves completely stripping the rifles. The Mosin Nagant you can get away with just putting a kettle of boiling water down the bore (through a funnel followed by a quick dry by a pull through) but the SKS you can't really do that (needs to be completely stripped and cleaned with boiling water). This means if your using a SKS you will want non-corrosive ammo which increases your cost significantly for shooting.

CGN Regular
    I also looked at the mosin, but I'm worried the recoil will be a bit much for a new shooter.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    It all depends. Historically many people started with full power rifles (Lee Enfields, Mosin Nagants, K98ks) for there first rifles (or first issued firearm). It all depends on the shooter how they perform. Personally the first thing I ever shot was a 12 gauge with slugs, you couldn't have wiped the smile off my face if you tried.

Likely the best bet for you will be some sort of .22 for the moment as it is cheap and relatively easy to keep clean.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by alfonzo1955 View Post
    I also looked at the mosin, but I'm worried the recoil will be a bit much for a new shooter.
    Good thinking! You already have the right idea with a takedown .22 because it will discreetly breakdown into something you can carry in
    a briefcase which is going to help you get it from house to car or bus and back with out attracting all that attention that comes with a big
    gun case. Also, the .22 is going to be your least expensive, all things considered, choice and give you the most benefit as a new shooter.
    Have a look at the Marlin Papoose as well as the Ruger. Don't bother looking at the Henry.

.22. Cheap to feed. Easy to learn with.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer VanIsleCam's Avatar
    Budget?

Just with the criteria you have given, I believe the Ruger 10/22 Takedown would meet your needs quite well, it breaks down into a small backpack already and is cheep to feed.
    Whatever you decide have fun shooting, be safe, be an ambassador to our sport/hobby, and welcome to the club.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gunneegoogoo's Avatar
    10/22 was my first gun 25 years ago, when I was 12. It's a great little gun.

If you're looking for a bit more accuracy for the same price range, the Savage's are nice. If you'd like to have a bit more distance capability, consider a .17HMR - but a bit more cost too...

Don't forget to plan for a scope too, although, learning to shoot with open sights isn't a bad thing.

ENJOY!!!!

-J.

CGN Regular
    I'm concerned about recoil because I'm not exactly a big guy. I don't weigh a whole ton, so I want to start with something a little more manageable. Would a 12ga be worth considering as well?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast