Thread: Crown Land Near(ish) to Ottawa

Question Crown Land Near(ish) to Ottawa

Hey Guys,

I know what you're all thinking "F**k no, I'm not giving up my sweet crown land shooting spot to this guy!" And to that I say, "of course! Why would you?"

But I do want to ask ....

For those that shoot on crown land near Ottawa ... are there actually any good spots? Are we able to target shoot there, without noise complaints or complaints in general from local neighbours? Do you simply find crown land on the crown atlas, drive there, setup shop, and start shooting? Using the crown atlas, I've found what look to be good spots, but they seem somewhat close (~500m-1km) to a house. Being a first time crown land shooter ... these things make me nervous.

Thanks for any insight you may have.

Matt

CGN frequent flyer
    Nope. All the spots have since been closed due to douchebag city folk who have moved to the countryside and occasionally hear, *gasp*, gunshots and the sound of ATV motors and/or locaations closed due to ignorant countryfolk who haul their unused kitchen appliances, riddle them with holes, and leave it and all their other trash lying about. *slowclap*

CGN Ultra frequent flyer berger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by inthehizzy View Post
    Nope. All the spots have since been closed due to douchebag city folk who have moved to the countryside and occasionally hear, *gasp*, gunshots and the sound of ATV motors and/or locaations closed due to ignorant countryfolk who haul their unused kitchen appliances, riddle them with holes, and leave it and all their other trash lying about. *slowclap*
    I would say the latter is closer to the truth. Marlborough was shut down because of the dumping and mess left by shooters and locals alike.

OP, Ottawa is a big city, geographically speaking, but there is crown land just outside the city limits.
    Prost!

Berger

To the west, I would say that until you get down near White Lake and Calabogie, there isn't really anywhere worth your bother. Marlborough was nice while it lasted, and honestly, it never should have been annexed on to Ottawa -- it's a completely rural forest surrounded by rural property and not at all like the city. To the east, you may have some luck in the Larose forest -- check the map of it to be sure you stay out of the no-discharge zone.

Just move waaaaay west! This certainly isn't a problem in BC. Basically 10 minutes from anywhere. Good luck finding a spot. It must be a pain in the butt around Ottawa or any other large metropolitan area.

Better off joining a club in the area like EOHC in Cheney east of Ottawa. Stittsville club is more expensive (if still open).
    Currently collecting:
    Ross rifles:Original military and factory sporters.
    Mausers: All variations.
    Any 20th Battalion CEF and CMGC items.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer berger's Avatar
    Stittsville is open....but very expensive.

Look at Smiths Falls Fish and Game. Great club and members, and membership is $125 a year. They are taking new members.
    Prost!

Berger

Thanks everyone.

I do go to Stittsville Range. I use their day passes, at $25/day. I'm not a member right now ... it's very expensive, and the staff are somewhat unfriendly. I'd love to check out another place!

As for crown land ... I wouldn't mind driving an hour or so outside of the city limits to find some land to shoot on. I guess I'll just have to check the maps, discharge bylaws, and visit the area in person and see if shooting is feasible on the land. I could always look for shell casings lol. I'm just skeptical to find the land, pull out a rifle, and start firing away (all safety & backstop items considered, of course).

Is there a list of requirements we need to abide in order to be able to shoot on crown land? I've shot on some friends farm lands before without complaint of neighbors but picking a spot on crown land is new to me. Anyone have a link for me so I can read up on this?