Thread: NORINCO 1911 sights

NORINCO 1911 sights

I have a Norinco 1911C in commander size, with cuts in the slide, commander style hammer, ambidextrous safety, skeletonized trigger, large beavertail and many more... generally it is the same as the police model with the 4,25 barrel. I made a few modifications to it, including cerakote finish. I want to replace factory sights and in this respect I encounter a problem. They are assembled from the factory the same as the model police in dovetail, but no one knows what size these cuts are and I unfortunately cannot measure them properly ... Do you know what the size of the factory dovetail Norinco cuts are?

Sights that I prefer are either set xs big dot system, or preferably leave the factory front and exchange only rear sight for 10-8 match national U-notch or Novak 1911 auto-carry. I prefer a clear picture of sights with only dot or fiber on the front. This set of three dots, which is now does not work for me. Therefore painted front and to smooth rear with no points and dots would be perfect. Somwhere at the Forums I found that cut at the front is an unusual dimension from Norinco but the back is the same as the Colt 70's, but I'm not sure of it. Unfortunately with no dimensions, any shop doesn't want to choose the instruments to my gun because they do not know that will fit :-(
    Maybe someone can recommend what sights can be used and which will fit without milling the slide?

I was told by the local gunsmith that it's not worth doing. The groove will have to be filled and re cut to a standard size, and re blued. Better to sell the norinco and upgrade

It's worth doing. They are good pistols, just hard steel to cut. You could replace the slide if your gunsmith is not capable of doing the work.

Your Gunsmith is just a lazy ass! You can more than likely do it yourself with a quality set of files. It really is not rocket science.
    Id Rather Be Judged By 12 Than Carried By 6

I have also heard that rear sight on those norinco 1911 is colt style. About the front is a little more trickier. I broke mine and had one gentleman on here supply me with a replacement one. I came across the website that had them. I'll have to look. Also I'll try to get a hold of the guy that game me his.

CGN Regular
    Im in the same boat. I'd love to swap out the front for a fiber and the rear for a BoMar. It is one of the rare ones that comes with the rear adjustable sight and I have already broke the rear sight pin and had to replace it with a finishing nail I dont know know long the sights will last but love the gun. Would be awesome to get sights but I have looked and I think the dovetail cuts are non standard. If anyone finds anything let me know too. I had a gunsmith cut a 1mm cut in the front sight to set a fiber in there which is great. I used a touch of gorilla glue and the fiber is solid. the front sight however was not very tight in the dovetail and walked out. I peen'd the bottom of the sight and locktite'd it in and so far so good

Check with Armco. they say on the sight they will cut for bomar style etc. Not sure if that includes norincos
    Last edited by keitha; 12-29-2015 at 08:52 PM.

I have three Norcs and the dovetail comes out nicely
    you just have to tap it from the right side ( and I don't remember what side that is )
    after market sights slide right in as the other guy said a (little bit) of file work and in they go .
    I did my cz 75 clone with fiber front and adjustable rear

these are great guns and the 5 inch silver 45 shoots great out of the box
    so I picked up a 4.25 / 45 from canada ammo

I got to try my new NP27 from CanAm today. Just great!!! I cleaned up the edges and all around the trigger upon initial disassembly and lube and it shot great groups today! For me at least.

I'd be happy to spend a few bucks and get a fiber front sight. I see Brownells has just the fibers for sale. Perhaps I'll just drill out the front sight and Dremel a notch in the top to let some light in. Then glue the fiber in to the stock Norc sight.

Unless someone in this thread comes up with a Canadian distributed who can source a ready made front sight that will work in the NP27.